Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[usp] 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest Results now live

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: [usp] 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest Results now live

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 20:10

Judgement on the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries has been delivered and is now available in the Featured Articles, and not a moment too soon. You can also use this link to surf to the article.
This concludes this year's mapping contest. Big thanks to the contestants and the jury! A compilation of the maps is not yet available, but is currently being discussed in this thread. Add your opinion!

And now, off to eat delicious cake! From UnrealSP's birthday, of course.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [usp] 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest Results now

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 20:22

Since there are all these 10 for TIK's map I better release G59 then.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 20:25

Some of the ratings indeed surprised me; for instance you have rated Inside the Lab and Isle of Sharighar just a single point below Triamid Ruins, which strikes me as a strange choice. Can you elaborate on why you regard them to be on such a similar level?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 20:28

Because they were more fun gameplay-wise. Inside the Lab is something I would play several times.

Also hats off to those who get the Dig references in my Triamid opinion.
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 21:06

Turboman, congratulations to your result. You deserve to be the winner :)
@sana: My map started as a six-hour-map but ended in 25 hours of work, if you belive it or not. :wink:
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 22:25

Didn't entirely expect my score and my 4th place. :o
EDIT: is that like getting 52% on a review? Or were the score standards lowered for the judging? :P

Well done Turboman! \o/
Also thanks to everyone who mapped, judged and played, making the contest a generally great experience. :)

I love the range of opinions with TIK's Tunnel. 2/10 to 10/10! :shock:
And how can you even start to play Unreal on a mousepad? :?

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 22:45

Judging was an interesting experience. But it convinced me never to write a custom map review. I needed too much time for those few irrelevant, repeating words in bad English. I focused too much on describing build and on writing concrete informations (sorry for the spoilers). But I didn't know what else to write until I saw the other articles. Perhaps Mman should have done it. I saw he commented every map.

Scorewise I tried to orientate myself by the scores of the 8th year contest, which I thought were almost identically equal to the standard review scheme. And when a gameplay- and build-wise top submission like that from Sarevok gets 5.5 points in average, then I have not much scope in rating. And so happended, that I gave the same score to ebd and Shivaxi. First was IMHO rather a 2.4 and last a 1.6.

Me putting focus on build, UBerserker more on gameplay. I can understand rating Teridax's map low. There is nothing new about it. But I prefer something familiar to something different but not fully developed.

My scores didn't vary much. So the other judges determined the 3rd place. I was surprised, that finally tIK made it. I was quite sure, it would be Leo, editor Dave or you.

BTW Should there be a sixth place, when there are 2 fifth place?

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 22:49

integration wrote:BTW Should there be a sixth place, when there are 2 fifth place?

9 entries, 2 tied for fifth place. Winner, Second Place, Third Place, Fourth Place, Fifth Place, Fifth Place, Sixth Place, Seventh Place, Eighth Place!

And yeah, I was sort of annoyed when I saw Mman deliver a load of accurate reviews that could've been perfectly used in a judging position! :P

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 22:52

sana wrote:And yeah, I was sort of annoyed when I saw Mman deliver a load of accurate reviews that could've been perfectly used in a judging position! :P

Since I wasn't in the contest any more I was considering asking to be a judge a couple of days ago, but then it was kind of late (and I had already revealed reviews).
Formerly Mman

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 23:05

As can be seen in the case of Shivaxi, you can be a judge even if you participate. You just don't get to rate your own entry!

User avatar Turboman

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 23:53

OH man i can't believe i won \o/
I'd like to thank everyone who participated in the contest, even those who didn't make it to the final submissions. I had alot of fun playing each entry and there were some surprisingly good entries there!

My personal favorite was TIK's entry :P

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 01:49

I'm loving the polarization on my map :P two 10/10s! Damn \o/

Extremely happy to score 3rd place. Suprised me as well :lol:

Turboman wrote:My personal favorite was TIK's entry :P

lolol, cheers. Fitting that my fav was yours :P

UBerserker wrote:Since there are all these 10 for TIK's map I better release G59 then.

If it's finished I'm sure we're all interested :B
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 03:27

Congrats to all. I still have yet to play any of the entries, unfortunately, due to being busy as hell. But I'll try to make time for them soon!

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 08:12

I just want to say to everyone who finished something...you are all awesome, and well done. And also well done to everyone who came close, hope you guys finish what you started.

My only regret that my own free time was too pressed to finish my own entry. It's the consequence of working long weeks and juggling private time in between. This stuff was easier when I was single.

Nice Job everyone, and especially for Turboman for the win :tup:

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 19:56

Legendslayer222 wrote:And how can you even start to play Unreal on a mousepad? :?

You really...dont even want to know lol. Hell of a lot of practice I suppose... (and I have to cross my hands since i use arrow keys for movement) :P . Was playing COD4 the other day with the laptop mousepad too lol...surprisingly I never came in last, and almost won a few times \o/

I think I see veins and muscles bulging from my fingers atm O_o

And massive congrats to Turbo. Though I rated TIK's map higher and hoped it would win, I understand why not everyone rated it what me and Jet did. TIK actually used the unreal engine for something other than a unreal styled map for once...and even though he said it wasn't complete...it still felt complete as an experience to go through. As Jet said, it was like reading a really good book that took your mind on a trip. As with any book, you must really get into and feel it to enjoy it. I went into TIK's map with an open mind and didn't expect anything from it, and I was greatly rewarded with the experience I went through. Anything else that can be said is in mine and Jet's review ^^

side note: I laughed when I saw I came in last again, like the last contest \o/ I didn't expect anything less honestly. I really need to finish something for once -_-
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Next