Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[usp] 10 reviews added

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: [usp] 10 reviews added

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012, 21:17

I once made the decision to delay any content updates until the new UnrealSP website design is done. Since it's not yet done one year after the decision was made, I decided it's about time to upload the long overdue content update to the old system. The site has been updated with the following:

Unreal Grief Chapter 2 review by Teridax
Beer from Outer Space review by Teridax
The Court of Izn-Nali review by Teridax
Tentacle Hunter's Maps: Series 1 review by Teridax

Greek Island review by Delacroix
Escape from the Cathedral review by Delacroix
Satanic Church review by Delacroix
The Once Great Temple review by Delacroix

Arachnopolis Second Opinion by MMAN
Shamu Quest Second Opinion by MMAN

You can also access the reviews over the main site's review listing.

Please report any errors you encounter while reading; since the scope of this update is rather large, some oversights may have been made in adding the content to the site.

Many thanks to Teridax, Delacroix and MMAN for the reviews, and sorry it took so long to add them. Enjoy your read!

EDIT: As Teridax has seemingly reviewed an outdated version of The Ghost of Alin'Gar, the review has been taken down.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [usp] 11 reviews added

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012, 21:32

Haha that quote of mine about architecture made its way to the USP main website too. Never heard of the Greek Island, and the final shot of Escape from the Cathedral doesn't seem to be that bad from here...?
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012, 21:39

I think Teridax reviewed the wrong version of Alin'Gar. Isn't there one without any messages, and others with them? Also, Unreal Grief Chapter 2 is in the wrong section.

Still, it's great to see more reviews. Thanks everybody! \o/
Last edited by AlCapowned on 25 Jun 2012, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012, 22:48

The links in The Court of Izn-Nali Review actually point to the Beer form Outer Space.

Notwithstanding that evidence of distraction setting in :wink: it's great to see so many new reviews and (even more so) of maps I had never heard of (or completely forgotton). Summer's going to be too short for me, I fear.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012, 23:11

If I reviewed the wrong version of Alin'Gar, that review wouldn't be very fair to Kew. Which one is the right version?

Cheers for the update, sana. \o/

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012, 23:14

alingar2 is the right version.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 00:07

I reviewed the wrong version, then. :/

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 00:08

Indeed. But they differ in the storyline -- alingar3 has it completely stripped for whatever reason. And then with all the translator messages (actually Alin's talking) the level makes perfect sense.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 00:57

Thank you Delacroix! Alin'gar 2. The ghost of Alin'gar had a storyline alright. It had plenty of ambient sounds as well (maybe too many). This map was done after Abbemort (when is that up for a bashing?), my first unreal map. Alin'gar was my second. :(

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 02:12

Concerning that 10 for Technical Execution that Greek Island map got. I don't think having no bugs in what is obviously very simple architecture warrants a 10, similarly, having only minor bugs in very complicated architecture could also warrant a 10 imo.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 05:48

Architecture has a separate mark from Technical Execution, so why is this being confused? Technical Execution means bugless construction and not architectural questions which get a separate notes.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 08:09

I've been looking forward to this massive content addition since it was mentioned originally. \o/ I haven't heard of most of the maps reviewed so I will have to check them out soon.
Also its good to see a review of my own pack. It's a fair judgement. I can't believe I forgot to add music for the final boss battle. :B

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 09:24

This is quite a wad of information and also a lot of mappage being represented with the news. Outstanding :tup:

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 13:29

Delacroix wrote:Architecture has a separate mark from Technical Execution, so why is this being confused? Technical Execution means bugless construction and not architectural questions which get a separate notes.

What I'm trying to say is, if all I did was substract a cube and call it a campaign, would it get a 10 for Technical Execution because it had no BSP bugs? Imo, no, because it's impossible for a simple cube to have BSP errors. If you extrapolate from that, having no bugs in a map of simple build shouldn't automatically net you a ten, whereas a map that's very technically advanced in it's construction should still be able to get a 10 if there's only a few minor BSP bugs to be found (because that is the more impressive feat of the two!)

Edit: The map also features no pathing whatsoever
And:

I think the score is really way high compared to other maps with a similar score.

Compare:
ImageImage

Both get an 8 in architecture..

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012, 19:02

Quote:
"Architecture is where Kew really shines, and this map is no exception. The grand halls in The Ghost of Alin’Gar are enough to make this map worth playing through. It really looks like an abandoned castle, rivaling any Unreal equivalent with ease......"

6 for architecture?

Next