Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[usp] [u1] Xerania's Fall reviewed

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] Xerania's Fall reviewed

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008, 15:03

We have a new review on the site today: Guest reviewer TheIronKnuckle has dug into the archives to write a thorough review of EZKeel's classic Unreal map Xerania's Fall.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008, 20:39

I don't think Yellow-Titan-Xerania-With-High-Melee-Range was any hard. Just run on the buttons and that is.

Nice review anyway. I'd rate the architecture lower though; let's say, the perimeter of the main, large area is ugly to see at. Plus, texturing becomes repetitive.

I'd talk even about the secret area since I like to do it while criticizing EzKeel's stuff D:
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008, 23:21

UBerserker wrote:I don't think Yellow-Titan-Xerania-With-High-Melee-Range was any hard. Just run on the buttons and that is.

Nice review anyway. I'd rate the architecture lower though; let's say, the perimeter of the main, large area is ugly to see at. Plus, texturing becomes repetitive.

I'd talk even about the secret area since I like to do it while criticizing EzKeel's stuff D:

Without having played the pack I would tend to agree with you on the architecture and texturing, but TheIronKnuckle has already re-appraised his original scores to bring them more into line with the rest of our reviews and I was happy to publish the review on that basis.

It's a very thorough and detailed review for a single map release. :tup:

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2008, 09:13

UBerserker wrote:I don't think Yellow-Titan-Xerania-With-High-Melee-Range was any hard. Just run on the buttons and that is.

Yeah, that outdoor bit was disgusting. It didn't really turn me off too much though.

And i found out about the secret area after playing through again recently, i should have mentioned it. :P
It's all part of the ezkeel checklist: Low poly architecture, large outdoor areas surrounded by walls, and a hard smack to the face with some Christian themed easter eggs.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2008, 22:00

Nice review :tup: Pretty complete and fair in it's scope and tone. Yes, it was a pretty fun level to play and had a lot of cool concepts. There was a reissued version by EZkeel which addressed many of the bugs - file name xeraniav2.zip.
Old as Dirt

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2008, 22:19

zbreaker wrote:There was a reissued version by EZkeel which addressed many of the bugs - file name xeraniav2.zip.

Noted... I may update the review with downloads for the fixed version. Thanks.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2008, 22:50

There's even something greater: Xerania V3.
ImageImage

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008, 00:32

Wow...that's a new one for me....thanks UB :tup:
Old as Dirt

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008, 06:06

The review was actually based on version 3. The fixes were great in this version which is probably why i rated it so high. It was very solid compared to the last two versions.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008, 10:09

No prob ZBreaker!

And yeah, the first version of Xerania was horrible. The lift of the main tower worked really badly, and you weren't able to access Xerania's arena because the red portal was solid ground.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008, 18:57

Review updated. The V3 file isn't that widely available, so I've hosted it myself.