Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[ut3] Unreal Tournament 3 hits the streets in the UK

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Dec 2007, 02:12

WAEL! COOP!!! W00000T! The same kind of delayed-shooting still happens even in UE3 games. :( It would have been better if projectiles were done client-side but damage was done server-side.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007, 20:36

ImageImage

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 04:11

I just finished UT3's SP... I feel kinda underwhelmed. :(

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Dec 2007, 11:00

It's just a tutorial. Oh, and it is better than that piece of crappy ladder UT2004 offered.
ImageImage

Wail
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 02:35

UT3's SP was underwhelming but at least, to me, it's ignorable. Reaper and Co. are just some random group of people, and Taryd and Omicron6 are just more planets in the Unreal Universe. I would much rather we get something that is one-off of past Unreal titles than a badly, cheesily executed SP that diminishes the awesomeness of Unreal and UT by taking old elements and corrupting them.

The only unignorable element that UT3 really "corrupted" was Malcom. I, personally, don't give a damn. I never liked their whole "signature character" bit that they started with UT2003.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 08:31

So how is this UT3 panning out anyway, I have no money and I bet it only comes on DVD which I do not have either.

But is it better than UT04?

Worse than UT04?

Better than UT99?

Still not as good as ut99?

And I don't care about the graphics part.

Actualy, since I don't have a DVD, and since I have EVERY game of Quake, at $19.95 and it comes on CD, quake4 it is, to polish off my collection and never played it, accept the demo

oops I don't know about quake wars, WTF is that anyway.
Just ban everyone

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2007, 10:13

No monkey jumping. Similar to UT1. Better than crappy UT2k4. Best MP game. Buy it.
ImageImage

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 02:26

More fun with bots than eating sandwich methinks. :P Warfare levels are awesome with all their side objectives.

Wail

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 06:28

I tried playing UT2004 again today.

UT3 is far better in almost every way. 2004 is like a saturday morning cartoon compared to UT3. Just need some patches to fix bugs and add more features.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 11:45

Just to ask... are you the same Wail of Suicide from BU or another person?
ImageImage

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 15:10

I just finished UT3. Although the SP was not glued together by the most believable and interesting story every, playing it was actually fun.
While not perfect, UT3 is the best UT to date and, to be, the best game actually around. They took all the good of UT, all the good of UT 2004 and glued it together supporting it with an awesome engine, creating a game that's great fun to play. Making it available on PS3 was both good and bad, because it will give more money to Epic (which deserves it!) but it brought to some pretty bad choices (While a bit better after the first patch, the UI doesn't still come near to the UWindows perfection and could be much better). While I appreciate the effort to make the game very user friendly, not allowing to access many important preferences without entering the ini files is a bit annoying. I found also some bugs, but they are nothing major and they don't ruin the gaming experience.

Visually-wise, UT3 uses a great engine and looks very detailed, but runs smooth too. I recommend to anyone to update their video drivers, as UT3 seems to gain quite some FPS with that. While some maps feels a bit spammage (all the details are given with SMs randomly spammed into corridors to provide a detail feeling but actually not following a complex archi scheme), most maps are done very well and most of the maps are about at the same level. Unlike UT2004, the places now are coherent and they are not just random locations to frag, but feels kinda real and the game has an own unified soul which is recognizable in any map. something that I would have been more careful about is to provide a bit more textures for BSP use, as right now doing a full-BSP map with the retail textures is hard.

Gameplay-wise I was fully satisfied. Mapping wise, the maps are not only coherent visually-wise but they have about the same quality also in gameplay: no more gimmicky maps like Joust or Gael, now all the maps are "serious" and while there aren't many maps for some gametypes, they all have a good flow. Now for each gametype:

DeathMatch has been improved a lot since UT2004, and even from UT. The movement is back to the UT greatness, weapons are more balanced than ever (Shock Rifle now is much harder to use, and requires a skilled player to be deadly unlike in UT where you could just spam spheres everywhere and rack up several kills) and the maps are good. There are maps for all player counts, with a top of 12 players (which becomes 20 in InstaGib...). A little gripe I found on some maps is that some places are notably deattached from the main core of the layout, meaning that it's easy to be away from the center of the action and lose the match for not finding anyone to frag. My favourite map for DeathMatch and Team DeathMatch is Shangri'la.

Capture the Flag has always been one of the strong points of UT, with his great gameplay which forced players to rely on a good teamwork and effective tactics to win. While UT2004 ruined it with its cheesy movement (which made the flag carrier ability more important than the teamplay), now it's back in all it's glory. The new technologies really helped in this gametype, as now playing against bots is no more a matter of finding some ways where bots couldn't follow you while you were carrying the flag but now it requires some tactics also offline, thanks to the aggressiveness of bots (now they will translocate like mads trying to hunt you down). The retail maps are few, but they are all great fun to play unlike UT2004's dozens of CTFs, most of whose had bad flow or was gimmicky. It's great fun to play CTF now. My favourite map is Vertebrate, for it's extreme idea executed nicely.

Vehicular Capture the Flag went way above my expectations. With still the bad taste of UT2004's VCTF in the mouth, I started up a match in Kargo and I was surprised of how superior this VCTF is. Bots works very well, like in CTF now they can cover effectively and you need some tactics also offline. The introduction of HoverBoards in a very nice thing, and the maps are very good. I disliked VCTF before trying UT3, and while I still prefer vanilla CTF I find this gametype fun to play. For everyone who tried the demo, I'm happy to say that Suspense is the worst and least original map of the lot. Kargo is instead my favourite.

Warfare is what Onslaught should have always been. Thanks to the introduction of prime nodes, Spheres, alternative nodes that have other objectives (for example, controlling a node for 1 minute will spawn a Leviathan or damage the enemy core), the gametype doesn't involve anymore spammages at one node hoping that the enemies don't come soon enough. There are lots of maps, all of them are good, and overall it's a lot of fun to play. Bots can play it pretty well, they have some troubles with Leviathans and Spheres but nothing that ruins the game. My favourite map is Market District.

Duel is, probably, the least successful gametype included in UT3. I love 1on1s, it's favourite game style, so for me I'm a bit disappointed to see only 5 maps small enough to Duel, 2 of whose are not very suitable to 1on1 (Rising Sun is the next generation of Morbias/Gael, although better, and FearLess has a stupid Invulnerability PickUp). Aside from maps, the gametype itself is well done and worth some matches. Gameplay is very fun, but there's a necessity of custom made user maps. My favourite map is Diesel, which is exactly how a 1on1 map should be.

Overall I really enjoyed this game, it's just UT with several improvements. I recommend to anyone that enjoyed UT to get this game, you won't regret it. The only downside is that now mapping has become much more elaborate (Ued4 has TONS of stuff), so if you want to keep doing small DM maps for hobby maybe it's better to keep mapping for UT GOTY :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 17:02

That's a very great review :tup:

And I like to see another CTF-Vertebrae fan! Z-axis FTW!
ImageImage

Wail

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007, 20:31

XYZ8000 wrote:Good stuff.

Agreed on almost everything. UT3 is definitely my favorite of the series now, we just need some patches to the game and I need a new video card.

My one disagreement would be about VCTF-Kargo. I really dislike this map, as a good tank driver online with a couple of linkers can completely shut down your team. Maybe if each team had a redeemer in base, or a fourth path behind the tank it'd work ok. As is, it's my least favorite map simply because of how dominant that one vehicle is. I like every other VCTF map more, even Containment, which is unenjoyable for me just due to how much frame lag I get on it.

Everything else is spot on. Virtually every map is good, and I love all the new vehicles and the additions to ONS with WAR. Going back to Onslaught is just pathetic without the hoverboard or tow capability. Most of the vehicles are improved, although some minor balance issues exist -- At least we don't have flying Levis this time around.

UBerserker wrote:Just to ask... are you the same Wail of Suicide from BU or another person?

Yep.
Last edited by Wail on 01 Jan 2008, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2008, 00:28

CTF-Vertebrae is my favorite level aswell actually. It's just so damn different and inventive and it looks (and plays) great in my opinion. I do not think UT3 is the best game to date. I still prefer UT99. Not necessarily gameplay-wise, but because I preferred the wide arrange of totally random levels to the more structured approach in UT3, and because while the music in UT3 is great, the dynamic music system just doesn't work. Much better than 2004 definitely :) And the Singleplayer campaign, love it or hate it, atleast it's a step up from the standard ladder mode. I quite enjoyed the sillyness of it all.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2008, 01:03

I need a flower now to play both games.

Seriously, this will be a hard new year.
ImageImage

Previous Next