Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

[usp] [u1] [ut] WTF Series 1 review update

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1014
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:23

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 22:19

Shivaxi wrote:The default Unreal settings have Volumetric Lighting (aka Fog) and Shiny Surfaces (aka Reflections) turned off. So basically your saying that nobody should utilize these effects in their map packs because the default settings of Unreal do not support them.

I see all these map packs that require this and that to be downloaded or tweaked or modified or whatever...but mine can't simply have one thing changed in the render settings for you to be able to see the credits...what the hell...


Comparing Fog and Reflective surfaces (graphics setting) to credits (part of the map pack) doesn't make sense. In the graphic settings you should have the boolean option where in the second example it should always work regardless of settings.

Keep in mind that Hellscrag is using the same scheme for every pack he reviews.

If the problem makes you so unhappy then just remove the credits :P
Last edited by jackrabbit on 17 Feb 2009, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1909
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 22:21

Yeah I didn't know about it until after I released it. It worked for me and my beta testers, so I didn't think others would have a problem.

But I'll be sure to mention something about it in WTF Series 2, as I'm sure the credits will be in the same manor
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3965
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 22:32

Shivaxi wrote:Yeah I didn't know about it until after I released it. It worked for me and my beta testers, so I didn't think others would have a problem.

But I'll be sure to mention something about it in WTF Series 2, as I'm sure the credits will be in the same manor


I thought the problem w/ mipmaps in D3D only affected textures larger than 256x256. I may be wrong about that, but if I'm right and you're using textures larger than 256x256 then can't you break them up into smaller "tiles"?
Image
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1014
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:23

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 22:39

Hellscrag wrote:
Shivaxi wrote:Yeah I didn't know about it until after I released it. It worked for me and my beta testers, so I didn't think others would have a problem.

But I'll be sure to mention something about it in WTF Series 2, as I'm sure the credits will be in the same manor


I thought the problem w/ mipmaps in D3D only affected textures larger than 256x256. I may be wrong about that, but if I'm right and you're using textures larger than 256x256 then can't you break them up into smaller "tiles"?


:tup: yeah, I think that should solve the problem. Although, I'm not really sure about the 256x256 limit because I haven't used D3D for years *currently runs in D3D9*

I'm guessing though that the D3D your talking about Hellscrag is the default D3D from UT? If its the Unreal D3D driver, I would seriously update that or use OpenGL! :) Heck, I would prefer Software Rendering over that driver :lol:

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3965
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 22:47

I don't use D3D (!). I use Donahal's OpenGL renderer, which gets the job done. But I do have vague memories of the D3D mipmapping bug from when we were working on Deja Vu.
Image

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader
Posts: 2876
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 23:30
Location: Long Island, New York

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009, 23:30

I saw the credits fine.
Image

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1909
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009, 03:47

Thank you Prophet :P

And to Hellscrag: The credits texture is already much over 256x256 and it is tiled. I don't use D3D though, I use the 227's OpenGL renderer.

Maybe Mister Prophet can post his settings to see what the difference is, and why he can see it clearly? Do you have mipmaps turned off Prophet?
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader
Posts: 2876
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 23:30
Location: Long Island, New York

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009, 06:47

I have standard OpenGL settings really. My mipmaps are set to true. Credits looked crystal clear, and I did like the opening/ending cinematic of your pack quite a lot (even if they were brief).
Image

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1909
Joined: 24 Jun 2008, 19:51
Location: Behind You! =P
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009, 16:42

Mister_Prophet wrote:I have standard OpenGL settings really. My mipmaps are set to true.


Hmm....so it's not mipmaps after all....this is a "wtf" thing lol :P

Mister_Prophet wrote:Credits looked crystal clear, and I did like the opening/ending cinematic of your pack quite a lot (even if they were brief).


Thanx! :D 8)
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests