Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[usp] [ut] Zero Black re-reviewed

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [ut] Zero Black re-reviewed

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009, 19:50

This time it is UBerserker who has come forward with a re-review, namely Zero Black by EddX. You can find the review in the usual place.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009, 20:06

Definitely going to play this pack again. I've only played it one time and did use cheats iirc. Gonna give it another shot in UT!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009, 20:11

I don't think I ever got past the Slith lair bit, as I hated that and I was tired of the underwater gameplay (underwater gameplay in FPSs tends to suck, really, and this engine doesn't make any exceptions), but I did enjoy the pack for the most part before it. I remember though finding the whole thing really difficult so I summoned a bunch of Excessive guns.

This score seems to be pretty fair from what I remember. Bad gameplay for some parts, but otherwise really interesting (if somewhat noobish) construction and a good background. It's really clear EddX put a lot of effort into this pack. I just wish there hadn't been so much underwater shit, especially against multiple Sliths (which are incredibly annoying underwater).

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009, 20:26

Pretty fair review. Most of what you complained about was what bugged me too, back when I attempted to play it for review. I never got past the Slith City map and sort of lost interest in finishing it. But things that I rememeber is what you touched on. I remember the confusing bit at the beginning (I skimmed the readme but did not notice the part that said that there was a security grid, so I swam in the first time and got pulverised). I also remember the painful translator logs. Really...holy shit. I can recall a whole fleet of them all placed side by side along a series of panels. I could run past them all and trigger a series of trans prompts in rapid succession, and each one of them would be the same;

"Pump 3 active. Network 42 entered into sysem delta for upload to transmiter station 19."

"Gamma station 7 active in Network 39. System ready for upload. Transmitter station inactive."

"Mainframe 72 at 68 percent capacity. Power levels nominal. Access to Network 42 authorized. Enter command in Terminal Q at substation 4 after accessing transmitter station 19. Pump 3 still active."

I mean after twenty of these in a row in one map....eh. It's too much. And I just remember that they would go off every few steps. If I bumped an elbow near a computer or got too close to a screen. Or...and this is especially true...if I was fighting a Skaarj and backed into a wall with a terminal.

I didn't find the gameplay as exasperating as UB...at least for the ones I fought in the first two maps that were on dry land. It's when I got underwater where the pack really lost me. I can appreciate the gesture though. Unreal packs typically don't make use of water zones on the scale that Zero Black does. But I like to think there is a reason for that. And that's because the Unreal games were never really Adept at water. At least for an extended period of time. In fact, I don't think many shooters are good at it either (I remember one of my favorite games, Duke Nukem 3D, had exceptionally aggravating water puzzles).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2009, 20:56

The second map was the evil virus of my review. Build and gameplay really touched the bottom here. Underwater Skaarj Troopers with Enforcers in the middle of the city are just complete bastards, other than look hilarious.

The solution to pass the Slith City is seeking always to go for the middle of the place and swim above your head. For the Slith, I used the Pulse Gun's primary and mostly the Ripper's Headshots.

The hardest sections are actually the optional areas. If you were forced to pass throughout them, gameplay balance would have been terrible for real.
ImageImage