ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[ut] [u1] -D e a d C e l l-

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: [ut] [u1] -D e a d C e l l-

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 02:10

Developer: Mister_Prophet

D E A D C E L L
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Synopsis: After spending 90 days in a cell without doors (put there by an unknown source, for reasons that are never explained to you), you are suddenly forced to enter a labyrinth with other people who are in the same situation as you, and you soon discover that all of you are expected to kill each other until only one is left standing.
Features: Dead Cell features an early version of Nemesis Core (used to power Residual Decay) and features unconventional gameplay for the typical Unreal map, including such things as melee combat and non-linear gameplay.
Latest News: In development.
Links: http://rednemesis.beyondunreal.com/
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 02 Jun 2010, 20:17, edited 11 times in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 02:36

lol, those giant green blobs look terrible, frankly :P But I'm really excited that now you will probably be able to get the club in (right?)!

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 02:53

Waffnuffly wrote:lol, those giant green blobs look terrible, frankly :P But I'm really excited that now you will probably be able to get the club in (right?)!

Just normal blobs with a different skin. I kind of hate the default mercury look to be honest, and it looks dumb when they "bleed" green vapor. Green skin may not be final, but that's more or less how they are to look. Blobby and green (originally I made them yellow, but it looked too much like urine.)

Yes, bat is in.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 05:14

I mostly mean the model is just so old and terrible and lowpoly; you could probably easily make a very simple blob model if you know how to animate it well. If not, it will still be fine; it's just one little nitpick after all.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 10:39

Obviously this can't go on Upcoming Maps with so many large pics. It should be:

400x300 400x300
400x300 400x300

...and the text should be white.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 10:43

Funny the blobs appear again.

I noticed it while playing Unreal (the original) but something struck me while playing VVV - blobs can only hurt the player and only the player can hurt the blobs- Is that correct?

Oops, almost forgot. Pity you didn't manage to submit Deadcell - the screenshots give the impression that VVV and TLF could have had some serious competition.

edited another of my speedtyping mistakes: blobs ppears corrected to blobs appear
Last edited by salsaSkaarj on 07 Aug 2009, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 10:57

salsaSkaarj wrote:Funny the blobs ppears again.

I noticed it while playing Unreal (the original) but something struck me while playing VVV - blobs can only hurt the player and only the player can hurt the blobs- Is that correct?

Oops, almost forgot. Pity you didn't manage to submit Deadcell - the screenshots give the impression that VVV and TLF could have had some serious competition.

I could have rushed it for the deadline I suppose. But it wouldn't have been half of what it could be, and first impression means a lot to me. It kind of dictates how I release things.

Hellscrag wrote:Obviously this can't go on Upcoming Maps with so many large pics. It should be:

400x300 400x300
400x300 400x300

...and the text should be white.

I will agree to your absurd sizing terms, Scraggy. But changing the font color is where I draw the line. Besides, it will revert to white anyway, won't it?

EDIT: Is it my imagination? I resized all the pics above and they still show up the same size for me in the thread.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 11:08

Mister_Prophet wrote:EDIT: Is it my imagination? I resized all the pics above and they still show up the same size for me in the thread.

If filename hasn't changed, the cached version (on your system or even on Hellscrag's server) is still being shown (it takes some time for changed to be recached).

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 11:12

Okay, that did it.

Now nobody can enjoy them :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 13:04

Bloblets are cool.

salsaSkaarj wrote:blobs can only hurt the player and only the player can hurt the blobs- Is that correct?

Blobs will only go after the player, but they can damage the Scripted Pawns if these latter walk on them (unlike what happens with the Biterfish).
Anyone who causes splash damage can hurt the Bloblets.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 13:57

Actually trying to fix it so you can hurt them with more than just splash damage (it is possible to actually hit a blob with any attack, but you have to hit an invisible "core" at the center of each bloblet, which is its collision radius). The reason for this is that you only actually get a few guns with splash damage potential, and none of the melees can get the job done.

Working with blobs, it becomes apparent that they are very limited as they are, and highly retarded as far as A.I. is concerned. In Dead Cell, trying to make them a little more usable.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 14:33

UBerserker wrote:...
Blobs will only go after the player, but they can damage the Scripted Pawns if these latter walk on them (unlike what happens with the Biterfish).
Anyone who causes splash damage can hurt the Bloblets.

I know the DP causes damage and kind of remember the enforcer and razorjack also.

I didn't notice pupae, slith or Skaarj being damaged by walking over/through blobs.

And as concerns AI, why do they only go after the player, it seems more in line with other actors that if they are damaged by these, they should act with a vengeance.

Another strange thing with the blobs is that after some time they stop following the player (so do some other actors once out of view, but at least when they see the player again they remember who to attack).

And yes, the spot to hurt them is difficult to hit, one or two is still feasible but when there are 4 or 5 together it seems the already dead blobs block the "missiles" until these blobs disappear.

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 14:41

salsaSkaarj wrote:I know the DP causes damage and kind of remember the enforcer and razorjack also. I didn't notice pupae, slith or Skaarj being damaged by walking over/through blobs.

And as concerns AI, why do they only go after the player, it seems more in line with other actors that if they are damaged by these, they should act with a vengeance.

I can comfirm that walking through blobs doesn't always cause damage. They have to be engaged on you, and the damage causing isn't by touching them...but by their melee attack. Pawns that walk over a quiet blob won't get hurt, player included. I haven't actually seen a blob attack a non-player pawn, but Unreal has a very general "you hurt me I'll hurt you back" setup for enemies. Although, since the blobs themselves are very underdeveloped...

salsaSkaarj wrote:Another strange thing with the blobs is that after some time they stop following the player (so do some other actors once out of view, but at least when they see the player again they remember who to attack).

If you outrun them...if you cross through a teleporter, ride a lift...it sort of breaks their A.I. It's like they don't have very good scripting for losing sight of the player once engaged for combat (probably explains their confined use in Unreal and RTNP). This has been an issue with Dead Cell too. One I'm trying to circumvent through various...strategies :o

salsaSkaarj wrote:And yes, the spot to hurt them is difficult to hit, one or two is still feasible but when there are 4 or 5 together it seems the already dead blobs block the "missiles" until these blobs disappear.

Unreal isn't very good with precision hitting. That's the real problem. At least in regards to collision cylinders for actors. And the blob's hitting collision zone is basically 10 units. That's like trying to shoot a bunch of Acoustic Dampeners as they chase you in a group, or biterfish...with a non-splash weapon.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 15:06

Dead bloblets cause damage always, though. Until they disappear. Sometimes Blobs get stuck, and in a really annoying way that make you not see them anymore.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 15:08

They do? You mean when they are shrinking? I never noticed that, and I know I've walked through them plenty and never gotten hurt. Anyways, they're fucked so it wouldn't surprise me if that's happened to you.

Next