ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[ut] [u1] -D e a d C e l l-

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010, 02:03

It occurs to me to ask something. Since very early development on DC, you've provided several psychological implementations in both story and in theme (Krodan/Yellow) and I was wondering how involved are those aspects when it comes to level and character development, and in what ways will we get to both feel and observe the feelings that Mr. Bowman expresses during the coarse of any combination of DC's game sequences. That said, will he have any particular personality on his own, or will his background and personality remain vague throughout the course of the game? Also, what will enemies be distinguished in ways other than how they move in fight e.g., styles like in Bioshock where the enemies talk or yell at you, expressing emotion or thoughts out loud? Also, moving on down the character setup into a more technical standpoint, how will these characters function? Will there be one pawn for one person that runs around collecting things on their own or will there be two depending on what choices you have made, and the one from the beginning that you could have fought will be replaced with a more equipped and stronger pawn that represents the same person?
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010, 06:49

jetv435 wrote:It occurs to me to ask something. Since very early development on DC, you've provided several psychological implementations in both story and in theme (Krodan/Yellow) and I was wondering how involved are those aspects when it comes to level and character development, and in what ways will we get to both feel and observe the feelings that Mr. Bowman expresses during the coarse of any combination of DC's game sequences.

In regards to the yellow theme, I can't say much more than I have already without getting too specific with the game content (it's best if you just experience that part of the game). But you'll have the option of reading the journal entries some characters have made during the ninety day incarceration (it isn't forced on you to do so, but there are benefits for doing so). In this case, this is how you will get to know your protagonist, as Mister Bowman is a mute character.

jetv435 wrote:That said, will he have any particular personality on his own, or will his background and personality remain vague throughout the course of the game?

He's a silent protagonist, but there are journal entries detailing his 90 day ordeal in isolation that give some insight. But to be blunt, he is largely a miscellaneous character. His written entries do not reveal much about who he is aside from his experience inside the cell. This is mostly true for several of the other characters, although a few of them are much more forthcoming on personal information. There are other hints about who these people are, and much of this has to do with how Caesar describes everyone (how their names are assigned, what preparations are made for each individual, revealing bits of dialogue through the com system as you hunt each other).

jetv435 wrote:Also, what will enemies be distinguished in ways other than how they move in fight e.g., styles like in Bioshock where the enemies talk or yell at you, expressing emotion or thoughts out loud?

It's similar where characters speak to you directly, either through scripted scenes or when you're fighting them. How they fight is a big part of it, but their personalities are different, as are their survival angles. What's the same about all the characters (Mister Bowman included) is that they are all survivors. Survivors who have endured 90 days of isolation and are tantalized with the prospect of freedom. You are all meant to kill each other by the rules of Caesar's game, but everyone has their own way to do this. It's also important to mention that the 90 day ordeal has had different effects on each character. Some are stronger than others, some are mentally imbalanced, ect.

jetv435 wrote:Also, moving on down the character setup into a more technical standpoint, how will these characters function? Will there be one pawn for one person that runs around collecting things on their own or will there be two depending on what choices you have made, and the one from the beginning that you could have fought will be replaced with a more equipped and stronger pawn that represents the same person?

I think I've answered this already, but to clarify...the game changes with how you play. It won't be like a Deathmatch level where bots are running around a map elsewhere. This is SP after all, so rather than having you run around a map randomly bumping into people everything is largely scripted (with no intrusive cut scenes), so when you do run into people they are either hiding from you or lying in wait to ambush...or hunting you (hard to really explain the last part until you see it).

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2010, 09:01

A couple of shots! No Big deal!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2010, 10:59

Zero points of ShieldBelt.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2010, 17:07

It's a nice touch. It's not like the belt disappears when it runs out of charge; you're still wearing it. Perhaps you will find little energy cells for it to reload the belt.

Also a nice way to make it so you can find an energy or belt item before you get both at the same time.

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 May 2010, 00:52

Belts don't disappear when they've been decharged. You actually have to locate pickups to repower them. Also, there are different kinds of belts you can find (with different max shields).

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 May 2010, 02:47

Just wondering about how the tech/bugs/testing(sequence breaking issues) are coming along. I didn't comment on the two new shots, but with all of the information and shots I've seen, I can say that I'm really looking forward to this. I also wanted to ask, what mentality or mood is DC meant to provoke in the player. You've stated that the color yellow has its significance, and you've summarized the special concepts pertaining to combat and inventory items, but I'm interested in how you're going about making this both fun and strategically stressful at the same time.
ModDb Portfolio

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 May 2010, 04:46

jetv435 wrote:Just wondering about how the tech/bugs/testing(sequence breaking issues) are coming along.

I've been a little preoccupied with current events (besides a lot of family issues, I'm in the process of getting a new job and have a close friend getting married this weekend, for which my attention has been diverted). But as of late the current task on me is completing the remaining maps needed (sublevels). Besides my end, Raven is making progress on some engine fx that are pretty awesome for UE1 (current thing he sent my way concerns using combiners for textures and some of the post process effects you saw in the last RD tech video will be used here). Otherwise? I need to see about getting an additional modeler/animator on the team for an enemy class I want to incorporate for the demerit system and won't get a viable taker within the team for another month, but I'd prefer to deal with that crap after my weekend.

jetv435 wrote:I didn't comment on the two new shots, but with all of the information and shots I've seen, I can say that I'm really looking forward to this. I also wanted to ask, what mentality or mood is DC meant to provoke in the player. You've stated that the color yellow has its significance, and you've summarized the special concepts pertaining to combat and inventory items, but I'm interested in how you're going about making this both fun and strategically stressful at the same time.

Well that's the real trick, isn't it? Making it fun and immersive. Let's just say that when I've gone through it all in beta with a fine tooth comb I'll tell you if I think it does both of those well enough to release, and then you guys can tell me if that proclamation is a bunch of bullshit or not. After all, the player has the final word on that sort of thing.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject: Re: [ut] [u1] -D e a d C e l l-

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 00:42

Any updates? I'd be satisfied with just a shot of the cell you start in, at the least, or if not, something useless but still particularly nice looking (please excuse me if I'm being dumb). How are the final pieces coming together? I did want to ask a specific question on weapons other than that of the two new melee weapons we've already seen (sledgehammer & Nail Bat). Generally, what I would like to know is, with the different weapons included, what changes model/skin wise and functionally wise will we see, and out of the weapons such as the ASMD and chainsaw that were shown earlier, in what way are they being updated (for instance, similar to the replacement of Unreal player classes with new ones)? We already know that the melee weapons in general (aside from any exceptions you've made) can be used to block, but in the context of all weapons in general, how are they being updated in general and specifically for the gameplay type for DC?
ModDb Portfolio

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 02:01

jetv435 wrote:Any updates? I'd be satisfied with just a shot of the cell you start in, at the least, or if not, something useless but still particularly nice looking (please excuse me if I'm being dumb). How are the final pieces coming together?

Seems I can't get a moment lately to get some significant progress done on Dead Cell. RL and all. I could take a bunch more screenshots of the maps, but my opinion is that if I do this enough times the look of the levels will wear people out before they get a chance to actually play the game.

When I get time to scrounge some content together for another update, I'll do so.

jetv435 wrote:I did want to ask a specific question on weapons other than that of the two new melee weapons we've already seen (sledgehammer & Nail Bat). Generally, what I would like to know is, with the different weapons included, what changes model/skin wise and functionally wise will we see, and out of the weapons such as the ASMD and chainsaw that were shown earlier, in what way are they being updated (for instance, similar to the replacement of Unreal player classes with new ones)? We already know that the melee weapons in general (aside from any exceptions you've made) can be used to block, but in the context of all weapons in general, how are they being updated in general and specifically for the gameplay type for DC?

Dunno what more I can say besides what I already have, but I'll give it a shot.

Well the basic mechanic is that you'll start off with the capacity to carry both a melee weapon and a gun. Enemies will have access to the same weapons you do as well as the ones you haven't found yet. The idea behind the melee weapons is pretty straightforward; an attack/block system for all varieties, with different attack/block speed and lethality for each. The Chainsaw and the Impact Hammer appear but are used differently. Chainsaw adheres to the attack/block policy, although being the strongest melee weapon...scoring a hit has the potential of ending a fight instantly (for you included). It also will have more block/deflection penalties once we're done with it. The Impact Hammer is the hardest melee to use in combat, though its purposes thus far have been meant more for puzzles. For comparison, the IH's current attack form is kind of a mixture between the two modes it had in Unreal Tournament. I'm actually dissatisfied with the weapon, currently, and I might choose to cut it if we can't get it on par with the other melee weapons (either it will be really strong and slow or very fast firing and weak).

The guns...are all Unreal weapons for the most part (and a UT Flak, for aesthetic purposes) and the only hitscan weapon is the ASMD. They all have limited ammo and starting max capacities that are lower than what Unrealites will expect. To increase their ammo capacities and improve their general functions, you will have to find upgrades for each of them. Their damage performance hasn't been touched aside from very general things, like headshot capability for each and any enhancements granted by an upgrade.

What is new, however, is that enemies react to the weapon you are holding and change their combat style (depending on the enemy, they might fight dirty or honorably...or prefer not to mess with you).

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 04:10

That's cool. I'm very enthusiastic about the AI functionality. Great stuff.
ModDb Portfolio

Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010, 22:51

Thread Lock Notice

Just to give a heads up, this was a long time coming...but it makes sense that this thread has run its course as a template thread for the USP upcoming maps and has become a full blown project discussion thread...which makes little sense considering that Red Nemesis has it's own forum section. So, for now on, all discussion about Dead Cell (including new pimpage material and news) will be posted in the Dead Cell Development section in the Red Nemesis Public section of the Unreal SP forum.

Expect lock soon.

Previous