Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[u1] Resurrection

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: [ut] Resurrection

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010, 00:44

Hellscrag wrote:Yeah... because reinstallation is such an effort... man, it's just impossible... there's no justice in the world! :cry:

Heh. :tup:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [ut] Resurrection

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010, 02:57

Well, if you have Unreal, 227 blows 95% of problems Unreal ever had out of the water. Not just for building, but for general performance and engine stability and security. People really should give it at least a try :tup:

That said, the new features in the engine are nothing short of awesome, as much as I've had the time to try them out at least. There are still a few loose ends to tie up, but this should really be the next platform for anyone wishing to do SP maps on the old engine. It's got some awesome things.

Will post more shots later :)
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [u1] Resurrection

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 07:03

Wow...I think you're the first person to actually go from mapping in UT99 to mapping in 227...and right in the middle of a project too!

Congratulations. I look forward to this, and am happy that you made the switch (and that i provided some motivation for it ^^) It's good to see that you are not being taken down by those who are suddenly turning their backs on you because of the switch to 227.

Love working on the music for this as well. It's been opening myself up to newer ideas (since I can't go all drum and bass on the tunes haha) :lol:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 11:32

There's nothing to congratulate about a person doing a switch to something which makes his work easier... possibly except for the most important factors: gameplay and atmosphere.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 12:12

UBerserker wrote:There's nothing to congratulate about a person doing a switch to something which makes his work easier...

I think that depends. There's eliminating needless inefficiency, and then there's making your own life easier at the expense of other people.

I don't think either really applies here. Whirl has chosen 227 for a combination of its stability and its new features. Speaking not just to you, but to anyone: buying Unreal if you don't already own it isn't exactly a big ask these days, and reinstalling it if you DO have it is even less so. If you choose not to do so and consequently can't play a 227-only pack, you're excluding yourself from playing it rather than being excluded by anyone else.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 12:58

As "easier" I'm talking about no annoyances from the old engine and having optional stuff like emitters from the get go. If you ask me I have no interest with maps having new visual features (something which I said always). Still I don't see the point of the congratulations, aside "cool 227 is finally getting playable maps! Even better for me because I don't have UT installed!"
I will only get 227 when it will be truly finished. I don't want to be bothered about new versions being released every now and then. A mistake that even Epic somewhat did with their Unreal games (like UT3 with continuous big patches - if only those losers of Midway let Epic finish UT3 completely).

After 11 years or so in front of Unreal, I'm not caring about it anymore that much. Time has passed. One day I seriously need to move.
ImageImage

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 14:12

I don't want this to turn into some kind of a fight, I really don't. After all, I'm doing this level because I enjoy it, and if I can help Smirftsch test the new features while doing so all the better. If there will be people that will want to give the pack a try and play it that will be great, but if not that's OK too. Just don't get into a Unreal vs UT fight please :) My choice is my own, and everybody has the right to choose to try or discard my work without any consequences. But yes, working for 227 has made my life a lot easier. Like I said, the main reason for switching is the support for Static Meshes. I got my node count down from a total of 95k to about 20k by using meshes, and aside from that I can improve them in 3ds Max to an extent I could never do with solid BSP geometry. That way I'm also opening myself up for future opportunities as I want to learn modeling at some point, and doing small fixes and improvements on meshes for a project I like seems like a good idea to get started with :) And as much as UBerserker said:

UBerserker wrote:I will only get 227 when it will be truly finished.

The only reason 227 is still being developed is because from 227f (the current released version) Smirftsch has opted to include the last generation technology into the engine. 227f is way more stable than 225f or 226f ever were in terms of game stability, server performance and security and general engine performance :) So I would say that 227f is more than just finished but Smirftsch will continue to improve it untill he sees fit. I feel a bit like a hypocrite right now saying this, as I was no better with my opinion about 227, but people really should give Smirftsch more credit - myself included. To be honest, I did have 227 installed ever since 227f came out, but never really understood the amount of work put in the damn thing or gave Smirftsch enough credit for it in my mind. Basically I just kind of took it for granted. Interesting thing we talked about Smirftsch was also this: people talk about what they see, therefor the 200+ hardcore fixes in the engine go unnoticed because they work fine and catch no attention, where as at the same time a single bug gets all the attention :) Like I said, I wasn't any better, but talking about this with mister S. I do see he has a valid point :P

Eh shit. This is really drifting completely off topic \o/
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

"Good, we can attack in any direction."

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 15:41

UBerserker wrote:As "easier" I'm talking about no annoyances from the old engine and having optional stuff like emitters from the get go. If you ask me I have no interest with maps having new visual features (something which I said always). Still I don't see the point of the congratulations, aside "cool 227 is finally getting playable maps! Even better for me because I don't have UT installed!"
I will only get 227 when it will be truly finished. I don't want to be bothered about new versions being released every now and then. A mistake that even Epic somewhat did with their Unreal games (like UT3 with continuous big patches - if only those losers of Midway let Epic finish UT3 completely).

After 11 years or so in front of Unreal, I'm not caring about it anymore that much. Time has passed. One day I seriously need to move.

Refusing to apply patches to video games (patches being one of the largest advantages of a PC game contrary to consoleware) is a weird, unexplainable quirk of yours rather than a problem with 227, UT3 or any other example you provide. And what exactly is the problem with people congratulating other people? What are you even grumbling about? :o
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 15:49

Quirk problem of me? Of many people you mean. I don't have time or patience to install patch and patches every time. Games need to be fully polished when they are released, something that not many developers are able to do nowadays.
Many console games are generally bugless at release, and with newer consoles (PS3 and X360, for example) patching is now possible and free.
Lastly, don't freak at everything I say.

Topic shouldn't be derailed again.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 16:14

sana wrote:Refusing to apply patches to video games

To be fair, 227 is an unofficial patch and you really can't make the same argument because of it.

That said, SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THIS SHIT AND LET'S TALK ABOUT THE MAP INSTEAD, JAAAAAAAAAAAYSUS

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010, 16:21

I wasn't talking to anyone but WhirlWindWabbit when I congratulated him. I'm not sure why any argument ensued. =/

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010, 10:33

I think I'm just surprised that there are people on this forum that don't have Unreal installed.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010, 13:42

1. Nice to see someone working on something new
2. Nice to see someone doing something with 227
3. Nice to see people playing Unreal

So why argue about whether or not you want to have Unreal installed with or without 227? It leads to nothing. Please use this thing for constructive criticism.

Thank you.

Btw.. does anyone know what's going on with 227? It has been "f" for quite a while now...
(preferably in a new thread)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010, 15:48

*PM's Darkon*

Getting back to topic here...

I can't wait to see what you're going to do with static meshes in 227g. Are you planning on going crazy like doing full blown terrain in mesh form? or small complex geometry structures like pillars or grates or things of that nature?

Heh...imagine a map entirely made with static meshes lol...wonder if it would still behave the same... :rolleyes: :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010, 15:56

So why argue about whether or not you want to have Unreal installed with or without 227? It leads to nothing. Please use this thing for constructive criticism.

I'll use it for my own free expression.
Thank you

Now, if we can close this debate forever, from now and on, okay then.
ImageImage

Previous Next