UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[u1][ut] Unreal PSX / Rise of JRath

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [u1][ut] Unreal PSX / Rise of JRath

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012, 05:11

You can either change the concept (slightly only) to save as much work as you possibly can, or keep the old concept, putting a lot of work to waste.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012, 09:18

If the old stuff is totally unplayable than alteration is of course required. otherwise don't change what aint broke?

tbh i'm not on this project and don't have the full picture. Decisions have to be made either way and I'm not the one making them. So go ahead and produce something awesome however you do it
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012, 16:34

I don't remember right now who got the idea first, Leo or me, but we both had it at similarly the same time -- Leo might've been first, with my poor excuse of a memory I just don't know, but:

Design docs on this level were very limited: they just said you'll be fighting Iris there in order to win her loyalty. It has been decided that, to implement some gameplay into the levels, a more surreal take will be chosen and instead of a simple deathmatch, a series of challenges in four increasingly bizarre environments would take place, with the fight versus Iris awaiting you at the end of that road.

We also followed the spirit of the original designers, rather than blindly following the design document -- it was Leo's idea to include a section of the Unreal95 alpha within E1L3 (as seen on the bottom left screenshot), since it was John Anderson's. We know for certain that E1L6, a later map contains an entire large section of an otherwise unleaked 96-era level by John. If he reused this content, making it fitting into the whole piece, we figured the same would work here. Essentially, E1L3 as it stands now, consists of:

E1L3A - by Nathan Silvers.
E1L3B - by Jeff Rubin, John W. Anderson, Eric C. Reuter, Max Moswitzer. This contains 2 concepts by Jeff Rubin, 2 alpha segments and a surprise.
E1L3C - by Jeff Rubin, contains overall 2 concepts from him.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 01 May 2013, 15:57

"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 May 2013, 00:04

Downloaded and had a quick go at it (227i). Finished the first map (or the first 2, can't remember whether the total change of environment is the end of the first or the second map).

First impression: very well done landscape, a bit rough (with a small invisible edge of a mountainwall which catches your clothes) but totally convincing (except for the bottom of the waterfall). A couple of surprises keep you on your toes. Most certainly worth the download.
If this standard is kept up, it's going to be really good.
More next week (no more time before thursday).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 03 May 2013, 23:43

Finished on Godlike/115% Speed. This owns.
Loved the Nexus part but I just like out-of-this-world stuff. Especially the area with all the super alpha monsters. Difficulty gets pretty rough at times but nothing to rage at.

The Quadshot is fucking amazing. I'd love to see this version of the gun replacing the Minigun.
ImageImage

Kew
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 20:29

Hello all. Glad to see that Unreal is alive and well.
I am really pleased to see that my old friend and colleague, Leo, is working on his project. Go to it, Leo!
Kew

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 05 May 2013, 20:39

Hello, Kew.
Unreal will never die.
I shall relay this message to Leo.

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 07 May 2013, 23:29

Okay, played it through. I must admit that the geometry is not at it's best. Well, these maps were supposed to be for PSX anyway, and I can understand that. However, will you try to make these maps look like maps from PC version, or just keep them as they are? At least do something about texture alignment and sky panning speed in the open areas. But the Vortex Rikers part is neat in the original form.

Aand that whole thing about Iris. Where the hell did she come from suddenly? I just took this AI thingie from the Rikers and stepped onto the telepad that brought me into a weird realm. This screwed my mind, it was just like the main character was on some heavy-duty drugs. This part was literally Unreal!!

QuadShot? It's almost the same as in 7 Bullets, sans manual reloading. It still packs a punch though.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 May 2013, 00:08

Finished maps won't have their geometry modified to stay true to their original form, however there are some spots with added details. Other spots are changed due to optimization. Unfinished maps have, of course, complete new geometry but at the same detail level.
ImageImage

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 08 May 2013, 06:40

My little bro is playing it... He loves the crash at the beggining! 1 (or more) of the Iris maps (the one when you fight many of hers) + the 2 DM maps elevators are pushing the Nali Fruit (which looks weird)
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015, 06:02

Is this project still going?

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017, 18:17

Yes it is. I'm one of the guys workin' on it.

NEWS!

Leo T.C.K :

I am bumping the thread with new screenshots of this reworked section of "Escape from Jenkraak". Reworked by CodeX in a new style. You can guess what map this was based on given its popularity.

I modified some of the screenshots to be more bright, which is not how they were originally. Depends on your screen how they'll look like though.

If people wish they can post these screens on other forums as I'm not active everywhere right now and even avoid some places as of now.

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017, 18:18

Leo:

There is already a different version in the pack as a DM map, in fact that's the original texturing one as done by me/dustin and Rubie (who made a mess out of a lot of things before he left but I thought the bizarre theme with changes can stay for the dm version).

This, more serious version, however stays purely as the SP map.

This is actually all based on a certain alpha version of DM Rankin by Hourences, as it appeared in UT2004. Here it's a proper map in SP, connecting together sections of the recovered psx/steele dawn map.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017, 21:56

Where is Leo posting these days? I haven't seen him over at OldUnreal in ages, and I need to get in contact with him. :)
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Previous Next