Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[u227i] Unreal: Resurgence

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [u227i] Unreal: Resurgence Part 1

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016, 21:54

yrex wrote:"crusher1".

There aren't really too many hints. The massacred bodies are a thing I'm used to, because you find them everywhere just like pokemen in japan. The message "Many who enter here will die." is also rather generic. The biggest problem is that these places are completely dark. I didn't even know about "spikes1" until I opened the map in the ed. Maybe it's supposed to be like that, but still I would prefer to have at least some time to react. Besides, it's not really challenging, because the players will just press "Restart <mapname>" (not losing very much progress) and avoid the trap the next time.

The other traps like the ones coming from the floor weren't a problem because you could already see that something was wrong. What I would do is either:
- make the corridor brighter and add some visible spikes,
- don't change the visibility, but instead make it automatic like the traps in aztec and foundry,
- make the trap slower or delayed to give the player time to react and precede it with some "mechanism" sound (AmbAncient.agears is a good one), or
- add some translator message like "Beware the traps!" that will make the players think twice before doing each move.

► Show Spoiler
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016, 00:04

Replaying now under the correct gametype. Indeed it's absolutely necessary some more health and ammo considering you're also a large target; that one Fly at the beginning of map 1 on the highest difficulty can outright kill you very quickly.

Sadly I can't proceed anymore because the mappack started to constantly crash after quitting the game and loading it

Critical: USkeletalMeshInstance::UpdateSkeletalFrame
Critical: URender::DrawLodMesh
Critical: (SkeletalMesh SkCampMeshes.SlithlingMesh)

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016, 00:34

I got the same error recently with the Vandora statue. I was hoping it was just a decoration problem, but your error suggests that it's a 227 bug with skeletal meshes. :/

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016, 00:40

AlCapowned wrote:I got the same error recently with the Vandora statue. I was hoping it was just a decoration problem, but your error suggests that it's a 227 bug with skeletal meshes. :/

Seems like so. Had this crash right on map 1 in the flooded tunnel (the one with the dead mini slith)

The village secret was really cool.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016, 00:16

Finally proper finished, was good.
The mappack apparently turns from really hard to really easy at a certain point because you start to find countless of Flak Cannon ammo and health and you won't have anymore equipment issues. The crypt map was a breeze and all the traps seemed fine, I didn't fall for any of them (the floor falling into that small lava hole is probably the only one you can't expect but it's passable).
I also noticed some invisible brushes in Map 3 (cave area after the Titan one, there's a door over a rock with its top part being invisible) and I'm assuming some areas are not fully finished or polished yet.

Probably, the Razorjack should have been introduced very early, while the Stunner should lose all its damage but becoming infinite (I used the weapon very rarely after the first level). That's really about it, only the gameplay balance needs a better revision and it's great to go (once it's ever finished of course).

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016, 16:55

Feel like I wandered around quite a bit in the map with the village and cavern area trying to figure out what to do. And yeah I basically went into godmode to survive. Definitely needed more health and ammo, although I was fine once I got the impaler. Looks great though. Rain has always been more of an annoyance in Unreal games for me.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

wwof
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016, 20:48

I finished it last night and have to say it is a very impressive work. The build and gameplay are very nice. The only technical problems i had was when I first encountered the dragon in the small village (I think map 2) I got a game crash due to general protection fault. That happend a couple of times all at the same place out side the church. I am confused as to why the skaarj in the maps are trying to kill the players character who is also skaarj. Why are they doing that to their own kind?
Did I miss something in the plot.
I agree with the previous comments about health and to a lesser extent ammo. I think the razor jack should be a primary weapon from the beginning. It is a skaarj designed weapon, right?
I hope you guys are able to finish the map pack in the future.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016, 02:35

The Skaarj Hunters think the rest of the Skaarj Empire is weak, and they want to take it back to what they see as its former glory. I'm not sure if any messages got around to saying that, but their motivations for taking the Queen's Blade and why they haven't left Na Pali already would have been explained at some point.

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016, 21:16

Played it on a fresh installment of Unreal Gold with 227 patch. No missing packages or whatever. I really liked to play as a Skaarj. That feels different. Sadly, there are barely any mirroring surfaces where you can have a look at yourself. Now I feel like to play as a Brute, shooting rockets out of the left hand with primary fire and out of the right hand with secondary fire :) I also liked that Resurgence uses new (+ Alpha) weapons and pawns (iirc those Impaler wielding enemies are from Unreal 2). Overall, great build quality. I also liked how the enemies were placed, for example the first encounters with spiders and enemy Skaarj.

I think there should have been a note in the first map telling you that you can lunge by pressing primary and secondary fire simultaneously. I would have missed the Nali village underground (that key is hard to see) and Flak Cannon if I hadn't looked in the editor. Also you will probably get low on health in ResurgenceTwo if you miss the secret in the Nali village. I had to look in the editor two further times to know how to proceed, both times involving ventilation shafts. One of those times I tried to destroy destroyable ventilation shaft bars but it didn't work on my first tries. Also in the last map there was some Skaarj intermediate boss who looked too much like a regular Skaarj. And one time I found ASMD ammo (also not sure if there's a minigun somewhere).

Weapons:
Raziks: Well designed but takes too much time to charge completely. I would have increased the ammo regeneration speed and reduced the max ammo a little in return.
Stunner: I didn't really use it. Barely any chances to throw enemies in abysses and lava pits and if you don't do that Stunner stays pretty useless.
Impaler: The first person mesh looked great but the alternate fire projectile could have been more visible. I think alternate fire rate is too high. For example against a Skaarj you can do: shoot at Skaarj -> Skaarj evades -> shoot again to the spot where the Skaarj is dodging to -> hit Skaarj -> repeat
Razorjack: I liked that the blades kept getting stuck in level geometry.

bugs:
- ResurgenceOne crashed when I tried to save.
- The aforementioned crash in the Nali village of ResurgenceTwo: I closed Unreal to look in the editor. When I loaded a savegame, the game always crashed when I looked in the direction of the spring / beam of light.
- There's a BSP problem in ResurgenceThree. You are standing on some kind of bridge and a Skaarj in a control room destroys a window to charge at you. Basically, it's like there's invisible level geometry that blocks you and your projectiles.
- One time ResurgenceFour crashed on loading.
- (Kinda offtopic but since it's a 227 exclusive map pack I want to mention the following 227 bug: Pawns with bLeadTarget set to true are supposed to shoot where the player is heading, 227 messed up a collision check, so when the calculated heading spot is in level geometry, they will shoot in direction of that wall, and otherwise they will shoot in the direction where you are standing. Basically, that means the pawns will barely hit you if you keep moving. About 3 years ago, I reported that bug shortly after a new version was released. 227 staff said to include it in the next 227 version but there hasn't been a new version yet.)

Masterkent
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016, 15:10

integration wrote:About 3 years ago, I reported that bug shortly after a new version was released. 227 staff said to include it in the next 227 version but there hasn't been a new version yet.)

I can only confirm that the given bug has been fixed in 227j a few years ago, but no one knows when 227j will be released.

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 19:29

Gave it another go. The 10th or 11st one...
The way you guys gave the maps small links to the Unreal universe, even non-canon ones (Ehactora khmm) is brilliant!
It really makes the overall experience better and better.

The last map had a coffin, where a great Skaarj warrior lays. And a message next to it which is a cool reference to the UT 2k4 map ONS-Dria. Which is one the 2k4 maps that has an awesome connection to the original universe.

"Set among the crumbling ruins of the last Nali fortress, these icefields were the final stand of the Nali against the Skaarj. Driving their Stone Giants before them, the Skaarj lay siege to the city for three weeks, at last breaking down the perimeter wall and wiping out all within for their effrontery. Now an arena of Onslaught, the vast range of this location will test the teamwork and focus of the very best."

I'm lookin' forward to the next chapter in this story! I can't wait to see where it takes us next time.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 15:10

I guess I should post an update now. Still no estimate on if/when Part 1 will be done, but here's the gist of what's been done so far with the maps:

► Show Spoiler

Balance-wise, I made some changes to the weapons and items:
► Show Spoiler

I haven't worked on stuff in a while, though, and I'm not sure about the others. The last thing I ever did was to start implementing skeletally animated krall that can pick up different staves. Teridax was working on map 5 and might have been thinking of redoing map 2b's outdoor portion.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017, 22:33

would someone please post the download link on the first page?. it must have been there at one time, because people are saying they have played this!.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017, 23:06

The download is on ModDB, which is linked on the first page.

But here's a direct link anyway:

SZ

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017, 12:57

Oh yeah, a while back XenophobicSkaarj on ModDB pointed out that maps 3 and 4 don't work without Gold, so here are versions of those maps with the Upak stuff removed: http://www.mediafire.com/file/52ahhbqd661phy7/ResurgenceMapsThreeFourU1Fix.zip

Previous Next