Played it on a fresh installment of Unreal Gold with 227 patch. No missing packages or whatever. I really liked to play as a Skaarj. That feels different. Sadly, there are barely any mirroring surfaces where you can have a look at yourself. Now I feel like to play as a Brute, shooting rockets out of the left hand with primary fire and out of the right hand with secondary fire
I also liked that Resurgence uses new (+ Alpha) weapons and pawns (iirc those Impaler wielding enemies are from Unreal 2). Overall, great build quality. I also liked how the enemies were placed, for example the first encounters with spiders and enemy Skaarj.
I think there should have been a note in the first map telling you that you can lunge by pressing primary and secondary fire simultaneously. I would have missed the Nali village underground (that key is hard to see) and Flak Cannon if I hadn't looked in the editor. Also you will probably get low on health in ResurgenceTwo if you miss the secret in the Nali village. I had to look in the editor two further times to know how to proceed, both times involving ventilation shafts. One of those times I tried to destroy destroyable ventilation shaft bars but it didn't work on my first tries. Also in the last map there was some Skaarj intermediate boss who looked too much like a regular Skaarj. And one time I found ASMD ammo (also not sure if there's a minigun somewhere).
Raziks: Well designed but takes too much time to charge completely. I would have increased the ammo regeneration speed and reduced the max ammo a little in return.
Stunner: I didn't really use it. Barely any chances to throw enemies in abysses and lava pits and if you don't do that Stunner stays pretty useless.
Impaler: The first person mesh looked great but the alternate fire projectile could have been more visible. I think alternate fire rate is too high. For example against a Skaarj you can do: shoot at Skaarj -> Skaarj evades -> shoot again to the spot where the Skaarj is dodging to -> hit Skaarj -> repeat
Razorjack: I liked that the blades kept getting stuck in level geometry.
- ResurgenceOne crashed when I tried to save.
- The aforementioned crash in the Nali village of ResurgenceTwo: I closed Unreal to look in the editor. When I loaded a savegame, the game always crashed when I looked in the direction of the spring / beam of light.
- There's a BSP problem in ResurgenceThree. You are standing on some kind of bridge and a Skaarj in a control room destroys a window to charge at you. Basically, it's like there's invisible level geometry that blocks you and your projectiles.
- One time ResurgenceFour crashed on loading.
- (Kinda offtopic but since it's a 227 exclusive map pack I want to mention the following 227 bug: Pawns with bLeadTarget set to true are supposed to shoot where the player is heading, 227 messed up a collision check, so when the calculated heading spot is in level geometry, they will shoot in direction of that wall, and otherwise they will shoot in the direction where you are standing. Basically, that means the pawns will barely hit you if you keep moving. About 3 years ago, I reported that bug shortly after a new version was released. 227 staff said to include it in the next 227 version but there hasn't been a new version yet.)