UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[u1] [ut] FireStorm

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: [u1] [ut] FireStorm

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018, 00:03

Surely we all go through the five stages of grief every time a new post appears on this thread and it's not Turboman announcing Firestorm's release?

(Yep... I'm still lurking.)
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018, 00:19

I know exactly what you are talking about there, Scrag

User avatar Nalisavior
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018, 02:26

Lightning Hunter wrote:It's kind of funny actually. I just realized we have witnessed the 5-stages of grief on this thread

LMAO :lol: I totally forget ever writing that, I think I was drunk.
Last edited by Nalisavior on 28 Feb 2018, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 00:00

Hellscrag wrote:Surely we all go through the five stages of grief every time a new post appears on this thread and it's not Turboman announcing Firestorm's release?

yeah, strange, like he died or is in jail or something.. no info at all..

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 00:23

radios wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:Surely we all go through the five stages of grief every time a new post appears on this thread and it's not Turboman announcing Firestorm's release?

SteadZ wrote:Turboman still posts on Oldunreal (and was last online today) so my guess is he has internet access. :lol:

He's around and alive. Nothing else to comment on now.
ImageImage

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 16:05

UBerserker wrote:
radios wrote:

SteadZ wrote:Turboman still posts on Oldunreal (and was last online today) so my guess is he has internet access. :lol:

He's around and alive. Nothing else to comment on now.
that's good, but you know I'm not the only one that is curious why he didn't come back here and say, "I'm still working on it" or anything similar..

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 19:03

radios wrote:that's good, but you know I'm not the only one that is curious why he didn't come back here and say, "I'm still working on it" or anything similar..

Because it is tiring for him and everyone else to just repeat the same thing every now and then. We will get something, sometime. Even if it is only that old beta some selected people were lucky to visit.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 17:46

I just went to Oldunreal, and searched for Turboman, apparently, his account was removed!!.. he's not there anymore..

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 18:05

radios wrote:
I just went to Oldunreal, and searched for Turboman, apparently, his account was removed!!.. he's not there anymore..

radios, you gotta learn to chill! Turboman was online just yesterday evening on OldUnreal... you will notice that his nick there is spelt "Turboman."
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018, 14:12

While it's nice to hear news from projects you're looking forward to, allow me to remind everyone (namely a few people of course) that no one is compelled in giving any news whatsoever on anything.

Many of these kinds of projects simply get silently cancelled, unfortunately.
Generally not because the author is done with it, but because they cannot keep working on it due to RL constraints.

And some say something about it, others do not, but either way if someone is thinking in contacting Turboman to know what's up and whatnot, over the fact that he didn't say anything for a while: I would suggest that you don't.

If he didn't say anything thus far, is because he doesn't want or feels to, and that should be respected, so for the time being you can simply consider this project to be on hold for now, and lower your expectations on a release to "never happening", for now, and if someday it gets released, then it will be awesome.
It won't get released any sooner or at all regardless of what you do.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018, 10:55

He moved on to other projects which are doing fine, and released, too!..

User avatar Hyper
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019, 17:26

Any news on FireStorm?
A beta release would be nice.

User avatar Jigoku

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019, 06:05

How long has this one been in dev? Would love to see it even if it's in beta.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019, 01:31

Too bad this never got released. It looked pretty awesome and all and what we heard about the betas was pretty promising. One of my first memories of this very site was seeing this project on the main and upcoming maps pages and that was back in 2002.

When did it all go wrong I wonder. Was it when Turboman decided to retool it for 227? I heard that Firestorm was getting pretty close to completion before he made that decision. And then that the changes he made after that point made Firestorm not as good as before allegedly. (not sure about these last few points, based on years old memories, feel free to correct if wrong)

The above plus real life probably explains why Firestorm ended up the way it did and why he's reluctant to touch it now after all this time. Even if he allowed some beta to be released to the public it would probably be a disjointed mess and would require the community to fix it up so that it would be playable, not that I would mind. Out of all the community projects that never saw the light of day this is probably the one I looked forward to the most and probably would've easily have been in my top 5 had it come out.
StalwartUK

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019, 12:54

StalwartUK wrote: And then that the changes he made after that point made Firestorm not as good as before allegedly.

This is what I got told many times indeed.

The jump to 227 was a death call; given the constant releases of letter sub-patches, and a final version of 227 which doesn't seem to be ever getting released, Firestorm got likely stuck indefinitely in development hell.
This isn't an anti-227 comment; that jump to 227 is a move that nowadays isn't that different compared to games suddenly having a specific console version axed all of a sudden, or a game previously headed to Steam becoming exclusive to EGS. Firestorm was in a decent enough state to be finished and released on both UT and U1, then you undertake a decision to take everything on a platform that was unproven at the time and annoy the people who only owned UT and not U1. You are one person, you worked on a project that took many years to almost finish and the last thing you want is to work on it for more other years... for what? I will never understand.

Back to the "development hell" part - I could see why, since I've went through similar issues with G59 every time a major EXU2 patch was shipped, forcing me to go back to development for a re-release. From what I've heard Firestorm development was done under an old version of 227, meaning it couldn't work with the current or unreleased 227 versions. Who knows if Turbo ever got around that mess - and since I know he has access to 227j, that would also mean 227j would need to be released in order for a Firestorm to happen too.

The likes of Firestorm and TCO (I know kaka and raven are still around but things have to be said) will go down as the "what you don't want to do"s in the modding community encyclopedia.
ImageImage

Previous Next