Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[ut] Residual Decay

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010, 23:42

SP2000 wrote:So are we looking at a 2010 release for Dead Cell? And hopefully RD will be released within this decade? Or maybe 2012 if we're really lucky?

It's kind of strange that Dead Cell is coming out before RD since RD has been in development for almost 5 years now, and Dead Cell was just announced recently. I suppose it's because Dead Cell is not the same scale as RD is.

Dead Cell began as a one map deal, but now has been expanded to a large HUB, an adjoining section of about half that size, and a bunch of small Sub Levels using the new system of intermap mobility seen in Residual Decay. This is still significantly brief compared to say, something of the scope of RD. DC is also getting the benefit of using many elements of Nemesis Core (the basis for RD) to better the game experience, and in that regard it's very much like a RD-lite.

SP2000 wrote:I have to say that out of any other map pack, RD is the only one I can say I would gladly pay $60 as a full game for. It will hopefully provide a final closure to the Jones saga, which so far collectively as been the best single player mod series of any game. I think only The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex holds a candle to it, although that was in development for seven years.

That's very kind of you to say.

SP2000 wrote:It seems that single player mod projects in general always take an astronomical time period to finish. Black Mesa Source for HL2 has also had a seven year development time and still isnt released. :P

I never intended it to take so long, but yeah...sometimes mods just take a while. I do think that the audience RD was started for is still very much around, and it's for the people that still support Unreal after all these years that RD is being made.

Raven wrote:Nope - RD is larger. But because RD and DC will use same (exactly the same) codebase - improving DC = improving RD Smile.

This is true too. With Dead Cell, it really gives us an opportunity to "test" many aspects that have been coveted features of RD for so long. It's also my personal way of saying "thanks" for all the people who have stood by the project for the last five years, giving them something fun to play.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 00:19

LOL. I just started following a lot of the larger pack, like, two years ago. That was before I got UT, and I have to laugh at how many misconceptions I had before then. I remember looking at Seven Bullets and thinking "This looks like shit!", just because the crystal room in the first Lost Passage level looked to me, somehow, like you were on a spaceship in some random room of stupid, and because of the name, you can probably understand it when I say that only having seven bullets didn't appeal to me, no matter how many weapons I had. Long story short, I was wrong, so, now I'm here; I learned a lot in two years, now, didn't I. Oh, and the Jones Saga (and some of the other packs, namely ONP) really opened my eyes to what kind of potential the editor had. There are maps I made quite a while ago that should never be seen, by anyone, or at least they're great examples of how not to make maps at all. They were AWFUL! Gotta thank you for that almost overwhelming uplift a lot of these UT projects produced, including those from the Jones Saga.

EDIT: I wanted to add something I did that was almost like flipping off your parents. Imagine making a great room (imagine temple) with pillars and torches and stairs and pools. Okay, now select the cube subtraction you made, polygons to brush, then de-intersect. Go to a later part of a map, and make a subtraction with your brush. That looks nice now doesn't it. A few rooms later, I can't rebuild or play my map, and I have no idea what the problem is. FYI, several rooms were made this way. I never looked at Zone Portal view, but I can pretty much guess what kind of Hell had overtaken the seemingly casual (more like boring) map.
Last edited by Jet v4.3.5 on 28 Apr 2010, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 00:25

:o That's interesting. Funny how much difference looking at a screenshot and playing a game makes. I will admit that Seven Bullets never looked as good in screenshots as Xidia did.

SP2000
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 02:10

On another note, are some of the screenshots on the rednemesis website for 7 Bullets doctored in photoshop? They seem to be running some kind of post processing that looks really good.

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 02:26

SP2000 wrote:On another note, are some of the screenshots on the rednemesis website for 7 Bullets doctored in photoshop? They seem to be running some kind of post processing that looks really good.

As far as I know there are a few wallpapers and a couple of shots of Waffnuffly's map using S3TC texturing that we didn't actually use in the game (but were made after, during early RD development). Otherwise the bulk of the 7B screenshots are pretty rudimentary, with a few shopped eye glares for the Scarred One. This is a big difference to say, promo shots of Xidia, where Hourences sharpened shadows and contrast in a lot of the shots. With RD, unless it's an obvious render or a wallpaper, the shots have simply been untampered stills.

User avatar Nalisavior
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 02:35

There are five worlds visited in five different timelines
Awesome! can you chose which planet you visit or is it in a arranged order?

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 02:54

Nalisavior wrote: Awesome! can you chose which planet you visit or is it in a arranged order?

It's arranged.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 06:48

I would have to agree with SP2000 in that I would definitely pay good money for RD. I don't even really like Unreal nearly as much as I like mapping, but I'd still buy it just to marvel such a creation as RD. It's such a shame that single player isn't the main attraction anymore with video games.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 08:25

I accept checks :o

Seriously though, it's good to hear people say these things. I only wish I could get this out quicker. Hopefully Dead Cell will satisfy you guys to some extent and prove that I'm not sitting on my ass :shy:

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 10:18

Mister_Prophet wrote:I accept checks :o

Seriously though, it's good to hear people say these things. I only wish I could get this out quicker. Hopefully Dead Cell will satisfy you guys to some extent and prove that I'm not sitting on my ass :shy:

Umm, yeah... We'd have to know where to SEND checks first... That, or a paypal/bank acc. no. or stuff like that would be handy :)

Well, RD is RD and DC is DC. DC's story had me thrilled from day one, it IS unique, and as for RD... it's only natural I want to sit down and play this, as it is a conclusion to the Jones saga...

With the sheer amount of maps, really large ones as I suppose, RD is already way bigger than Unreal itself. I'm so eager to play this I'm already flipping out here and there... You could use me as a betatester, I am really good at that... :P
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

SP2000

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2010, 01:41

I think he's being sarcastic. :) Although I do think that Xidia and 7B are comparable to retail quality work.

Oh, before I forget. What audio device do you recommend for use with your map packs Prophet. I played through 7 Bullets with OpenAL and 5.1 speakers. The positional audio sounds great, but you lose some of the reverb effects added in with galaxy. Galaxy sounds somewhat lower quality since it's much older than OpenAL. It also has issues when used with surround sound since it has difficulty positioning sounds.

I notice it most with Xidia and 7 Bullets because they have exceptional use of ambient audio and music only during certain events. Some of the noises sound downright alien, I think because the pitch or tempo seems altered from the originals. Hope that continues in Dead Cell and RD.

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2010, 02:17

I actually don't have an answer for you about that yet, but I will at some point.

SP2000

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 May 2010, 02:34

Mister_Prophet wrote:I actually don't have an answer for you about that yet, but I will at some point.

Well, then what do you personally use in your UT install?

From what I can see OpenAL is better with 5.1 systems, and Galaxy with 2.1.

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 May 2010, 22:51

I had a preference for FMod in any hw setup. The OpenAL driver may have improved since then or it's possible it still has issues on low-end (AC97) chipsets.

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 May 2010, 09:48

Yet no plans for OpenAL/FMod - maybe after I'm done with OGL/D3D stuff.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

Previous Next