This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[u1] [ut] WTF Series 2

This forum is temporary and will be replaced by a new system.
For the discussion of projects currently in development. Read the instructions on how to make your project eligible.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [u1] [ut] WTF Series 2

Post Posted: 17 May 2015, 10:38

Sorry guys, but I lost everything with my recent hard drive failure. I don't know if this project can continue, or any of my Unreal projects for that matter. There's a chance the data is still recoverable if I send it to a Clean Room to be deconstructed and the discs removed in order to manually get the data off, but depending on the damage and what actually went wrong, I'm looking at 500 to 4000 dollars...and there's no way I have that kind of money.

It's possible Niko (LOL_PEANUTS) still has some of the maps we were working on, Bleeder91 may have them in his cache as I know I showed him some online, but it won't be the latest up to date stuff. It would at least be something. I mean this project has been delayed for like...what...over 5 years now? I know it's ridiculous...and this hard drive failure kinda feels like the last straw for many things including this.

I may just end up gathering what remains of this project and just release it as is...unfinished and whatnot...just to show off what we had at least...and then maybe someone else could pick up the project if they're interested. I'll let you guys know what happens.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 17 May 2015, 11:47

Damn, that must be so frustrating. I wish you good luck for getting everything back. Though, I can't recommend any HDD since I'm not an expert in that area.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 May 2015, 18:58

Man I learnt the hard way with PHASE TWO and other old shit I had :<
I literally bought 10 more HDDs few months later.
ImageImage

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 17 May 2015, 20:25

Going forward, you could buy/find a LAN hard drive or set up a server (even if it's just a $35 Raspberry Pi) for network storage and set up a Git or Mercurial repo on it with all of the non-vanilla-Unreal maps in your Maps folder backed up. I haven't done it yet myself, but I've done it with some other things (school projects and things like that). It's a great solution for just about anything you're working on.

I lost my hard drive a few years back and as a result a whole bunch of my early "good" mapping experiments and 3D modeling projects went with it. Thankfully I had several screenshots so they weren't entirely lost, and none of those things were major projects. I think you (Shiv) still had a version of one of the maps I'd sent you on your hard drive, and I still have something based off that file today on a couple of computers, but most everything else is gone. Not a fun situation.

If you have any questions about what I was talking about before concerning the repository setup, hit me up!
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar AndryxaXP
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016, 16:45

any news? managed to recover the data?

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016, 18:09

I was wondering the same, thus I asked him. At 32:04 he answered what's going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VznIPnGWEsw
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Previous