Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

28/6 - Five weeks to go!

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009, 21:22

I'll keep that in mind.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: 28/6 - Five weeks to go!

Post Posted: 01 Jul 2009, 00:48

Hellscrag wrote:By now, your maps should probably be at about 20% build.

I'm a slow worker in general and my map is probably only 10-15% done geometry wise. I haven't done any lighting whatsoever and haven't even started with any game play build. 6 weeks is NOT too long for making a SP map in UnrealED. 6 weeks is actually a good estimate on how long it should take the average unreal Ed user to complete a map. For me, this competition is a personal challenge rather than a competition. Well see how things go in the competition after I have completed the rigorous tasks of beating my head into a wall to create a full-scale SP map. At this point, I'm really not sure if 6 weeks will be enough time for me to fully complete the map.

As a famous French screenwriter once said: "Time destroys everything".

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009, 14:38

jackrabbit wrote: 6 weeks is NOT too long for making a SP map in UnrealED. 6 weeks is actually a good estimate on how long it should take the average unreal Ed user to complete a map.

jackrabbit? I take it that this is a reaction to an earlier post of mine in this topic.

Which is why I wrote (at the end)
salsaSkaarj wrote:For those who didn't get my humour - I am seriously impressed by some (most) of the screenshots and ideas expressed. My expectations (concerning a short competition in a small community like this) were low but have already been surpassed tenfold, if not more. I actually suspect some entrants are using Godmode :lol:

I hardly know a thing about mapping so I have no idea what can be expected in 6 (or 4 weeks). Maybe I should have made it more obvious by writing that 1 week should suffice :B

For clarity's sake, I have extensive programming experience and do know how long projects can take, and that obstructions appear from nowhere, and deadlines are generally not met, which intially made me think that 6 weeks would be very short. But seeing how development is going (knowing that this is no fulltime activity), I reiterate: I am impressed (and tried to express that using a bit of humour)

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009, 15:11

salsaSkaarj wrote:(knowing that this is no fulltime activity),

This sentence does not apply to me.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009, 16:18

After this, we should do another 4-hour and 1-hour contest. See who's map has the most replay value :P

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009, 19:25

salsaSkaarj wrote:jackrabbit? I take it that this is a reaction to an earlier post of mine in this topic.

Which is why I wrote (at the end)
salsaSkaarj wrote:For those who didn't get my humour - I am seriously impressed by some (most) of the screenshots and ideas expressed. My expectations (concerning a short competition in a small community like this) were low but have already been surpassed tenfold, if not more. I actually suspect some entrants are using Godmode :lol:

Yes, it was admittedly a misunderstanding on my part. I read your reply thinking you yourself were enrolled in the competition! As for not reading the second paragraph, I think I was a bit tired when replying (after working in UnrealED IIRC). I would be more than happy and honored for you or any other UnrealSP'ers willing to playtest my map when the time comes :)

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009, 23:09

jackrabbit wrote:...
I would be more than happy and honored for you or any other UnrealSP'ers willing to playtest my map when the time comes :)

I'm gonna playtest every single map offered and while doing so, kill all resistance provided and report back as expected :tup:

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009, 16:10

I've just finished working on a music contest somewhere else, so I know I won't be able to complete a map in time.
Anyways, since I do want to participate, I think I can offer collaboration for music. I already made some tracks that can easily be adapted to Unreal-ness, and make more by request.

If you want to listen to some, here they are:

Uprising
Curse of the Inner Self
Pillage
Rancored Requiem
Birth Ritual
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009, 16:37

Just a question.. would you also acceppt a music request beside this contest? If yes, I would like to request a remix of the UT Track "Run", maybe more in a style of UT3.

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009, 16:49

I could work on it, sure ;)
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009, 16:57

This would be very nice :)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009, 18:06

NicolasEymerich wrote:I've just finished working on a music contest somewhere else, so I know I won't be able to complete a map in time.
Anyways, since I do want to participate, I think I can offer collaboration for music. I already made some tracks that can easily be adapted to Unreal-ness, and make more by request.

If you want to listen to some, here they are:

Uprising
Curse of the Inner Self
Pillage
Rancored Requiem
Birth Ritual

To provide new music for someone entering this contest wouldn't really be appropriate. It's a pity you couldn't make a map, but fair enough, I'll take your name off the list.
Life is what you make of it.

Previous