Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

5/7 - Four weeks to go! (and how to link the maps)

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

MartinW
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009, 18:29

I'm not opposing the idea of a hub map, but I want to raise a concern: a map's / campaign's designer knows the player starts with nothing but his 'infinite-ammo-but-wimpy-damage-weapon' and adjusts the difficulty level accordingly. When a player finished a campaign, he is usually well equipped. If he is now transported back to the hub and enters another map, he will annihilate all resistance with ease, breaking the intended situation.
He may be able to blow walls open right in the beginning, something he should only be doing later after being rewarded with a rocketlauncher for hours of heroic enemy-crushing, finger-braking cycle strafing against the burning skaarj-titan-queens-legion of doom ... and thus take a shortcut.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009, 18:32

UArchitect created a very simple inventory-killer trigger for me for EXU2. I could easily donate that to the hub map if necessary (it even keeps the Oldskool ScoreKeeper around, I think).

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009, 19:18

Waffnuffly wrote:UArchitect created a very simple inventory-killer trigger for me for EXU2. I could easily donate that to the hub map if necessary (it even keeps the Oldskool ScoreKeeper around, I think).

Yes, I think this would be necessary. Obviously, a hub map won't work if the inventory is carried over from a previous map. But I knew there would be a way to get around that. :tup:
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 20:33

You could make a game where the player is a person who keeps mysteriously flitting between different people's lives (& maps), finishing off with an extra map with the explanation to the previous statement (map made by the contest's winner).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 20:40

Legendslayer222 wrote:You could make a game where the player is a person who keeps mysteriously flitting between different people's lives (& maps), finishing off with an extra map with the explanation to the previous statement (map made by the contest's winner).

That would certainly be possible, but the maps are wildly different in theme. I think I like the "hub" idea more. With a bit of imagination, each entrance area in the hub could reflect the design of the target map in some way.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 21:33

The HUB idea is better. Would remind me of some old platform games.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 21:45

Yes, hub is probably better. But we still need a finish map, unlocked after all the others are completed, which should be made by the contest winner (or have a section by every entrant).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 21:47

Legendslayer222 wrote:Yes, hub is probably better. But we still need a finish map, unlocked after all the others are completed, which should be made by the contest winner (or have a section by every entrant).

Well, that could perhaps be the contest winner. Not sure - we'll have to discuss afterwards.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar -Visc-

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009, 00:29

What about a special map in the style of ''Room of champions'' for the winner similar to the one in UT after beating a gametype?

That would be a nice prize.

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009, 11:05

-Visc- wrote:What about a special map in the style of ''Room of champions'' for the winner similar to the one in UT after beating a gametype?

That would be a nice prize.

You could have the room trophy always open, but when you complete one map/pack it's trophy appears in the trophy room.

Previous