Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[ut] "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant"

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009, 00:13

Brushes: 2628
Zones: 47 (probably including some buggy extra zones inside semisolids)

Polys: 16324
Nodes: 33371

Lights: 203

Filesize: 11.3MB (not including any custom content in MyLevel)
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009, 00:44

Here are some of the things that I've had to code to achieve what I wanted in VVV:

- A custom TimedTrigger that can be turned on and off by being triggered
- A custom CreatureFactory that can be shut down by being triggered for a second time
- A custom TranslatorEvent that can be set to only trigger once
- A modified creature class

Fun times. :B

I also pathnoded the map tonight. Creatures and items next.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009, 00:51

I want to fight the kickass modified creature!!!
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009, 00:54

UBerserker wrote:I want to fight the kickass modified creature!!!

It's not anything to get too excited about!

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009, 20:01

Hellscrag wrote:- A modified creature class

Skaarj in victorian dress. :B

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009, 20:33

Creatures & items are in place and I am doing testing... testing... lots of testing. At this point the map is essentially finished, it just needs tweaking.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009, 19:17

I now have a version of this map that I would consider releasable... however, I will continue testing it for a few days.

The gameplay is at its most interesting on Unreal skill, but is also pretty tough... enough to be outside my comfort zone. I think that's about right.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 22:31

I should probably have tested this a few more times, but I've really had enough of playing it...

"VVV" has now been released in its official submission version:
http://www.unrealsp.org/files/maps/SP-Vacillations.zip

ReadMe (including advice on technical issues and difficulty settings):

Code: Select all

================================================================
Title                   : Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant
Version                 : 1.00
Release Date            : 28 July 2009
Author(s)               : Mike "Hellscrag" Wilberforce
Email Address           :
Web Page                : http://www.unrealsp.org/
Description             : Single UT SP Map (Requires Oldskool Amp'd)

Where to get this map   : http://www.unrealsp.org
           Released as part of the 8th anniversary
           speedmapping contest.
================================================================

--- Play Information ---
Game                    : Unreal Tournament
Level Name              : Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant
Single Player           : Yes
Cooperative             : Yes (not tested)
Deathmatch              : No
Difficulty Settings     : Yes
New Sounds              : One sound effect, included
New Music      : No
New Graphics            : Some custom textures, included
New UnrealScript        : Some custom classes, included
External DLLs           : No
Known bugs              : None

--- Construction ---
Editor(s) used          : UnrealEd 2.0
Base                    : None. Some decorative prefabs taken from my own map DOM-TempoClasm.
Construction Time       : Six weeks

Version History
---------------

1.00: First public release.

Extended description
--------------------

A single UT single player map with a Victorian industrial / warehousing theme and some custom textures and code. Requires the Oldskool Amp'd mod by Usaar33.

Installation
------------

Extract VVVTex.utx to the UnrealTournament\Textures folder
Extract VVVCode.u to the UnrealTournament\System folder
Extract all other files to the UnrealTournament\Maps folder

Story
-----

In an oppressive warehouse district somewhere in an old Victorian city, a homeless man awakes in the derelict tenement he has sheltered in for the night. Deciding to make a move before he is discovered, he finds himself locked into the dismal street. Strange noises emanate from a cathedral-like factory. What's to be done?

Difficulty Settings
-------------------

This map supports all four standard difficulty settings:

EASY - For beginners. Definitely the least interesting way to play this map.

MEDIUM - For occasional players with less experience.

HARD - For regular players with a fair amount of experience.

UNREAL - The most entertaining but also the most challenging setting. Avoiding taking damage will be a priority, often from multiple targets. Players will need to make good use of the Dispersion Pistol and locate most of the hidden weapons, ammo and powerups to prevail on this difficulty setting.

Technical Notes
---------------

Due to ammo sharing with the Automag and in the interests of gameplay balance, this map is best played with Oldskool set NOT to replace the Unreal Minigun with the UT version (the Unreal Minigun is often set to be replaced by default).

Due to the extensive use of dynamic lighting, the final area of the map will be taxing for older PCs. As well as causing a drop in framerate, this may prevent the four pistons from operating continuously.

Copyright / Permissions
-----------------------
This levels is copyrighted to Mike "Hellscrag" Wilberforce, 2009.

Authors may not NOT use this levels as a base to build additional levels.

You are NOT allowed to commercially exploit these levels, i.e. put them on a CD or any other electronic medium that is sold for money without the explicit permission of the team!

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic network (internet, FIDO, local BBS etc.), provided you include this file and leave the archive intact.

----------------------
UNREAL (c)1998 Epic Megagames, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.  Distributed by GT Interactive Software, Inc. under license.  UNREAL and the UNREAL logo are registered trademarks of Epic Megagames, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 22:46

It's been 15 minutes already. Come on, where's the fanfare, the tickertape parade...? :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 22:52

I now have come here after playing for the whatever time Unreal (Sunspire with big speakers). Let's see what you got now.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 23:12

oh god oh god oh god playing asap
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 23:38

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Seriously, I wasn't able to stop laughing when I heard the sound of the horn.

Anyway, I played it for a bit. Oh yeah, general archi seems good, just not very detailed but it works at least. It's hard to rate this part, honestly.
The gameplay (started straight on Unreal difficulty) was ridicolous at first - three enemies in a row - then I realized they were Skaarj Warriors that didn't like the environment around them.
At that point, it all went old news: predictable ambushes, obvious Dispersion Pistol boltfest, a Minigun that no one's going to use, funny Slith in the darkness, the Scrag's trademark evil sea and oh wait what the fuck. Did I fight the most awesome enemies of Unreal that finally made their appearance in a custom map????!? Thank you for finally listening to my mind :o

I'll finish it tomorrow. But I won't talk anymore about it until the "rating time" of the maps.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 23:44

Heh. So, not a ringing endorsement then. Well, I hope you enjoy the ending of the map, which is a bit more imaginative in gameplay terms.

P.S. I have found the Minigun quite useful on this map. In the absence of certain old friends, it's one of the more powerful options. My intention was that people would have to choose between using the Minigun and having ammo available for the Automag.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 00:24

That was simply amazing.

Interestingly I also expected your ocean to be made of kill-o-water, and I was proven right by a Skaarj's spontaneous decision to take a swim and die a painful death.
Is it possible to enter warehouse at the beginning in different ways? I got in over those stairs at the side of the building, but I got my "What are those things?" thought when I reached the front entrance from inside. If I'm correct, that's quite a nice touch! Also I was surprised by a Skaarj tearing my back apart when I was going for the stairs, so I wouldn't say the ambushes in the map are predictable.
While we're at UBerserker's critique: I used the UT mini-gun and it tore everything apart! In fact I felt so cheap for using it that I mostly sticked to the other guns; on that note it's worth mentioning that this may have been the first custom map in which I fully utilized my weapon arsenal, from laying bio-rifle mines in the last battle situation, over saving ammo with the Dispersion Pistol (nice thing you included power-ups, btw!) and filling small rooms with razor blades to throwing everything I had at the Slith because it was dark and creepy and they were everywhere and I had no flares and it was scary and I wanted to get outta there argh

All in all I'd say it is very nicely designed and definitely feels like a Hellscrag map! I especially loved the detail, like all those lamps - you must be some sort of wizard for not having any bizarre lighting issues with high-poly doodads - and the design of the factory interior. (The way the lights faded after the machine was shut down was simply beautiful.)

A solid effort that imo should score very highly!

I think that the most important moment of the map deserves a high-detail screenshot.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 00:46

D'oh, the Unreal Tournament Minigun! Almost as weak as the U1 one anyway, with the added bonus of looking ugly and generic as most of the UT arsenal.
Hopefully Scrag has put a few blades (not more than 25) since the RazorJack will be probably (what I call) cheap, for real.
ImageImage

Previous Next