UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[ut] "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant"

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 19:02

More detailed feedback: The theme is pulled off very well, and the final area especially looks very cool (although the performance loss there provided the main difficulty in the final battles for me).

Unreal mode was interestingly brutal while still feeling fair, as long as you're really careful for ambushes anyway as they can tear you apart. Something I really liked about the final area is how it promoted a more aggressive approach to combat, where it was better to get in there and grab items instead of sticking back and sniping stuff. I also liked how I got a use out of almost all the weapons; for once I think I used the Minigun more than the Automag with all the close quarters combat, and I even got a use out of the Biorifle without a toxin suit. The Razorjack (specifically, the amount of ammo) was the closest thing to overkill, but I sort of liked how it was always there as a backup weapon, as it's not necessarily the most efficient or safe weapon in a lot of situations.

For issues, the side entrance to the factory corridors after the first Skaarj encounter is very buggy; the flares beside it disappear when you open it, and I even got completely stuck in the door once. As was said earlier you can also miss your character's first message on the enemies if you use the side-entrance first. Also the main character's "what were that?" towards the end might be grammatically correct for someone from that time, but it read somewhat like engrish to me.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 19:27

Wow, lots of juicy feedback!

SPOILERS below:

Sorry you got stuck on the door MMAN; I fixed a couple of them, but there may be one or two that snuck through. And "oops" about the Flares disappearing... :B

The boss should come flying out of the teleporter, but the AI is a bit unpredictable in that regard.

There are four Dispersion Pistol Powerups in the map if you look hard enough.

I don't personally think the Razorjack, Minigun or the amount of ammo supplied are overkill. The longer you take to shut down the Infernal Machine the more opposition you may have to wade through, after all, and that's with the SkaarjAngel squad still to get through. Neither are flawless weapons due to the wastefulness of the Minigun and the riskiness of using the Razorjack.

All of the thoughts are written in a poor attempt at "Victorian tramp speak", hence "What were that?". :P
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 19:53

150 blades are quite overkill, if you quickly realize that the Skaarj are continuously respawning. 100 would have been enough (one less RazorAmmo in other words), as I didn't use even more than 90 or something.

The Angels... I lured the small ones in the narrow and finished them with the Dispersion Pistol and Automag.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 20:01

UBerserker wrote:150 blades are quite overkill, if you quickly realize that the Skaarj are continuously respawning. 100 would have been enough (one less RazorAmmo in other words), as I didn't use even more than 90 or something.

The Angels... I lured the small ones in the narrow and finished them with the Dispersion Pistol and Automag.

Possibly, although you are particularly leet. ;)

I'm not trying to change your opinion, which you have backed up with reasoning, and that is fair enough. One less RazorAmmo probably would have been fine.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 21:32

About flares: I never use flares. But as there was no flashlight & the sewer was really dark, I used all of them. Interesting bit of gameplay in itself.

Oh yeah, & the door smooshed my flares out of existence aswell. :(

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 21:38

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the use of flares over the flashlight was interesting too.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 21:49

Hellscrag wrote:...
Possibly, although you (note: he means UBerserker) are particularly leet. ;)

Leet is not the word - In my dictionary the word Hard is described as difficult, and the word Unreal implies like nothing you've ever seen before.

UBerserker's dictionary states:

Easy : don't bother
Medium : blindfolded
Hard : feasible when drunk
Unreal: finally something not boring

When am I going to see a video of UB locked up in a Dasa Cellar with the two Generals and Sh'rakitha as roommates and only the DP for breakfast? :D

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 23:23

salsaSkaarj wrote:Hard : feasible when drunk

My accuracy at pool increases after 2 beers... Not with Unreal.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 02:59

Indeed...flares added quite a bit on tension...limited time...have to make the most
out of their lifespan...and watch your supply :twisted:
Old as Dirt

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 10:24

I used the Dispersion Pistol to light up areas. Moer awesome way.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 15:57

Am I allowed to use the VVVcode thing in my own SP? The translator message & inventory killer will be useful.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 16:24

Check the custom content thread

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 16:50

I still need the translator message.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 18:40

Legendslayer222 wrote:Am I allowed to use the VVVcode thing in my own SP? The translator message & inventory killer will be useful.

Do you mean an SP you're working on outside of the contest? That's fine. It would be good if you could give me credit in your ReadMe, including a plug for VVV. Perhaps you should credit UArchitect & Waffnuffly too for the inventory killer trigger. Unfortunately I forgot to do that (although their names do appear in the comments in the code itself) - a mistake I'll rectify with the compilation release.

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 19:29

Hellscrag wrote:Do you mean an SP you're working on outside of the contest? That's fine. It would be good if you could give me credit in your ReadMe, including a plug for VVV. Perhaps you should credit UArchitect & Waffnuffly too for the inventory killer trigger. Unfortunately I forgot to do that (although their names do appear in the comments in the code itself) - a mistake I'll rectify with the compilation release.

An SP outside the contest, yes. You can get credit & a plug (what do you mean by a plug? Bathplug? :? )... The others will get credit too for the inventory killer. I've already started the read me, althuogh I don't expect it to be done any time soon.

Previous Next