Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[ut] "Vacillations of a Victorian Vagrant"

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Scytale
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 12:25

Hmmm... a Skaarj invasion on a historic earth setting? I hope... :D
-"The many sings to us"

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:24

Sarevok wrote:Lighting looks a little dull, but I'm assuming this was intentional for the theme. I do like the look of the map so far, interesting theme :tup:

Yes, it's meant to be miserable. But I'm keeping zonelight very low (and completely absent in places) to try to bump up the contrast.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:26

I should mention that this is one of the most unique themes I've ever seen for an Unreal map. This and Proph's map are going to be fantastic for their freshness, and I know the detail and gameplay will be great too. Very excited about this contest's results.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:28

Thanks Waff. However, from what I've just seen, Prophet's originality and execution > mine. :)

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: He finally named this goddam project :p

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 23:30

Vacillate: "to keep changing one's mind or opinions about something."

Victorian: "of or in the reign of queen victoria of great britain & ireland." (I did know this word.)

Vagrant: "a persoon who moves from place to place & has no regular home or job."

Damn you! You made me need to pick up my Collins dictionary!!! Do you realise how heavy that thing is?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? :x

No, I do like the theme, unique & interesting. & there should be enough content to fuel this sound & texture wise. &...

sana wrote:This project is endorsed by Gentlebird.

er... wtf? :?

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 23:31

Hellscrag wrote:Thanks Waff. However, from what I've just seen, Prophet's originality and execution > mine. :)

Your project is not aided by custom content and has every aspect constructed by yourself, which imho balances things out. :)
Last edited by ividyon on 17 Jul 2009, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: He finally named this goddam project :p

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 23:37

Legendslayer222 wrote:Damn you! You made me need to pick up my Collins dictionary!!! Do you realise how heavy that thing is?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? :x

You could just enter "define:<word>" into Google :p

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 00:02

sana wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:Thanks Waff. However, from what I've just seen, Prophet's originality and execution > mine. :)

Your project is not aided by custom content and has every aspect constructed by yourself, which imho balances things out. :)

Fair point sana. I may script a few tiny things, but it'll be nothing significant.

Legendslayer222 wrote:Damn you! You made me need to pick up my Collins dictionary!!! Do you realise how heavy that thing is?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? :x

Hehe. Learning is good.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 20:19

I wasted about 3 hours today thanks to the extremely dodgy implementation of the TriggerPound state in Movers.

If you use anything other than the player colliding with a standard Trigger to set the Mover off, it won't stop moving afterwards (because it needs to be "Untriggered" as well as "Triggered" to actually stop). If you disable the standard Trigger while you're within its radius, it also won't stop moving, because the "Untrigger" signal is never sent. So I've had to switch to using TriggerOpenTimed Movers, with a custom version of TimedTrigger that can be disabled.

Bah. :tdown:

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 21:49

You can see how Darth setup his pound switch doors in the Familiar Odds section of his 7B maps. If you stepped off the triggering mover the door would close again. Dunno if your setup is similar in anyway.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 21:52

Mister_Prophet wrote:You can see how Darth setup his pound switch doors in the Familiar Odds section of his 7B maps. If you stepped off the triggering mover the door would close again. Dunno if your setup is similar in anyway.

That sounds more like TriggerControl, which I'm also using in this map.

The problem I was struggling with earlier was how to get a mover to move up and down continuously until triggered to stop. Thankfully, my custom scripting provided a fairly efficient solution (pity it took so long to arrive at).

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 22:01

Hellscrag wrote:
The problem I was struggling with earlier was how to get a mover to move up and down continuously until triggered to stop. Thankfully, my custom scripting provided a fairly efficient solution (pity it took so long to arrive at).

You can do that with a loop mover and some clever triggering.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009, 23:45

Whew. It's been a very long weekend with VVV (the big final area has complex gameplay mechanics) but things are finally starting to come together. I'm currently somewhere between 70% and 75%; once I've had another evening or so to sort out some more lighting, I should hit the hallowed 80% and be able to progress to gameplay.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46

75% build now achieved (including the main gameplay mechanics of the final area). I should be able to reach 80% within another day or so. Then I can focus on the combat side of things.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009, 23:40

I simplified the last bit of build slightly from the plan and am now at 80%, barring a thorough test / BSP fix. That means that, as of tomorrow, I can start to work properly on the gameplay. w00t!

Previous Next