Scout-kun is a lie... right?

-D e a d C e l l -

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: -D e a d C e l l -

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 09:51

D E A D C E L L

Current WIP shots

----------
PREMISE
----------

You've been locked in a cell for ninety days.

A food dispenser brings you three meals a day, and by your twenty fourth day of incarceration you gave up trying to squeeze your way through the slot. Your cell has no doors, and even after ninety days you have no idea how they brought you here.

The man on the intercom calls himself Caesar. And the name he uses to refer to you is not yours, but after ninety days you've gotten used to it. He does not answer your shouts. Just a pleasant good morning, good evening most days. On your thirtieth day, Caesar gave you a blank journal and a fountain pen along with your breakfast. Jello with a side of stationary. You often wonder what would happen if you try to stab your carotid with it. What would Caesar do then? Something tells you nothing. And by day fifty, despite everything...you begin to look forward to your meals. They certainly taste better than anything you've ever eaten on the frontier.

Every day you do one thousand push-ups and one thousand jackknives. Every evening after supper you write in your journal. Some nights, if the mood strikes you just right, you gratify yourself. Caesar is kind of enough to replenish your pens.

On the ninetieth day, something different happens.

Caesar speaks to you like he has never spoken to you. He tells you that you are being released. He also tells you that there are other people in other cells, and they have been there this whole time. Each of them has a name like yours. Misters and Misses. And there are eight of you.

And Caesar tells you that only one of you can leave. You deduce the situation even before he elaborates. Eight people. Eight weapons. One labyrinth of metal, grates, pipes, and steam. And an exit fit for one.

You do the math, and write your last journal entry.

"Follow the Yellow-Brick road."
-Mister Bowman

---------------------------------
Caesar's Facts of Dead Cell
---------------------------------

-Dead Cell has unconventional gameplay, as you try to locate weapons and deal with your other cell mates. Hidden rooms and alternate paths wait to be found. Striving off the beaten path is encouraged, and it might save your life.

-7 other cellmates have their own means at their disposal and their own strategies for survival. Fight them in standard order or by any order that works for you. The entire map is essentially a game of cat and mouse.

-You can carry two weapons at once. One melee and one gun. Heal your wounds with stimpacks, and use bandages to stop yourself from bleeding out. Powerups for each gun can be located to maximize your chances. And if you want to find better weapons, you have to pry them from the icy fingers of your fallen cellmates.

-Caesar is always watching. He knows you won't break the rules, because there aren't any rules. But a fair fight is still a fair fight, and dawdling is unbecoming of a proper victor. Thus, beware of earning yourself a demerit.

-In Dead Cell, all roads lead to Cloister Cove. Good luck!

Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 17 Jul 2009, 12:53, edited 4 times in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 10:06

Sounds like a custom mission for Fallout 3.

But anyway... Spiked club! The lighting looks weird but it is probably caused by the overbrightening of the shots. Build is pretty much Okay.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 10:08

I over brightened them, yes. Darker ingame.

UB wrote:Sounds like a custom mission for Fallout 3.

The major inspiration is Thunderdome from Mad Max 3 mixed with a little bit of Portal (The reason you might be thinking of Fallout is because Fallout is essentially one big giant homage to the Mad Max trilogy).

Basically, I went for a minimalist approach. Keeping things largely basic for the most part with a high degree of moving walls, sequence breaking, and unique one-on-one combat situations.

EDIT: Now with normal shots.

User avatar Scytale
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 12:18

Wow... this really sounds different. Eager to try this one! :) I wonder how the melee fighting will be though...
-"The many sings to us"

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 12:24

You'll be able to attack with one button and block with another.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 13:30

Wow. And you're modelling and scripting it all yourself? :o
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 13:59

Did I inspire you when you invented the story or is it mere chance that some things sound similar? :P
Anyway, you have good, new ideas and I wait impatiently for new screenshots/news :)
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 15:10

Sounds like a mix of ''The cube'' and ''Saw''. I like it!

The textures look tasty! :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 16:24

Now with the fixed screenshot, the lighting seems better, and I really adore it. Consistent, rough and fitting with the place.

In the Gina's shot those lens flares don't really fit with the fog though. They should be less visible.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 16:55

I knew your project was going to be one of the most unexpected and mindblowing. Can't wait to play this and lay some beatdown with clubs.

User avatar -Visc-

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 17:29

Ahh Proph, just noticed it, a spiked club has the nails hammered through the wood so that the spiky points come out on the other side. Your club is the other way around. :B

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 17:59

-Visc- wrote:Ahh Proph, just noticed it, a spiked club has the nails hammered through the wood so that the spiky points come out on the other side. Your club is the other way around. :B

How would you get the nails into the wood otherwise?

User avatar -Visc-

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:03

Punch the nails in a little so that the flat head of the nails stick out. - Wrong!
You have to get them through the wood so that the pointy end sticks out on the other side. ...ahh its hard to explain. :P

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:07

I guess, but that could splinter the wood badly, weakening it, AND you'd need really long nails. These look like jury-rigged clubs to me. I think it fits the setting perfectly ;)

Also the title is quite fitting, but is it also a reference to the 7 Bullets guys? I seem to vaguely recall there being references to something like that in 7B.

Perhaps this is the jazzed-up fighting arena idea you originally wanted us to put in my map but we never ended up making? :P (This looks a LOT better than whatever ideas I ever had for the design and execution of it, too)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:27

Very original! I'm looking forward to this.
Life is what you make of it.

Next