Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Submission, Judging & Prizes

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Submission, Judging & Prizes

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009, 19:39

SUBMISSION

The contest closes on Sunday 2nd August 2009. All maps should be submitted by 5PM GMT on that date. Maps that arrive significantly late may not be accepted for judging.

To submit your map, upload it somewhere and post a link in the first page of your map thread (if you don't have a thread yet, please create one for the purpose).

Please indicate clearly that the download is for the submission version, not a beta. Please also reply to your own thread, if you already have one, to make the judges aware of your submission. Your map will then be downloaded and your name will be appended to the list at the end of this post.

You can submit the map any time between now and the submission deadline. If you don't have any means of uploading your map (any free hosting service is probably OK), please let us know in advance by replying to this thread so that we can make alternative arrangements.

Please include in your zip/rar archive:

- The map(s)
- Any additional files required (apart from stock Unreal / UT packages and Oldskool packages)
- A readme
- Your commentary (see the "three weeks to go" thread for details)

Please also state clearly in the readme whether the map is for Unreal, RtNP or UT.

If your map fails to start due to missing packages, you will be given an opportunity to re-upload the map with the packages included.

JUDGING

Judges will play all of the maps and give each a score out of 10, as set out in the rules. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to allow three weeks for this, as I'm going to be away for a week from 8 August. However, there will be ample opportunity for general feedback and discussion during the judging period.

Judges' scores should be sent to me rather than posted publicly. I'll reveal all of the scores at the end of the judging period.

PRIZES

I don't have the means to offer very elaborate prizes. However, the winner of the contest will be entitled to claim as many as they like of the following:

- The opportunity to lead on compiling all of the maps into a single release (for instance by means of the HUB system that we have discussed over the last few weeks).
- Web site hosting at unrealsp.org with FTP access (a pretty basic package subject to various conditions and limitations)
- An unrealsp.org e-mail address
- A special forum status, if they don't have one already

If the winner doesn't want to claim the opportunity to lead on compiling the maps, it will be passed down to the runner-up, and so on until a willing candidate is found. If I should win (which I don't expect to), I will pass all of the prizes down to the runner-up.

ENTRANTS WHO HAVE SUBMITTED (SIX WEEK MAPS):

Legendslayer222
Hellscrag
qtit
Waffnuffly
Sarevok
Kaka and SEE NOTE BELOW

NOTE 2: Kaka's map requires this

ENTRANTS WHO HAVE SUBMITTED (SIX HOUR MAPS):

Shivaxi
LOL_Peanuts
sana
qtit
Last edited by Hellscrag on 03 Aug 2009, 22:34, edited 4 times in total.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009, 19:54

Let the battle begin :D
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 02:55

Scrag....3 weeks is an excellent time to play/digest the entries imo. More than takes into account my time constraints due to work/commuting etc. Ample time to judge fairly :tup:
Old as Dirt

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 13:11

who are the judges again?

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 13:22

{WINGS}Zombiehunter wrote:who are the judges again?

Note: I hate American Idol, but just felt this was suitable.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 13:40

Lightning Hunter wrote:Image

Were all doomed... :(

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 14:04

Lightning Hunter wrote:Image

He's the only good thing about American Idol because he's so dickishly harsh and hilarious. That said, the show still is complete shit and I never watch it. :I

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 14:12

Let's not de rail this into a simon cowell thread... :lol:

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 14:14

He's the only good thing about American Idol because he's so dickishly harsh and hilarious. That said, the show still is complete shit and I never watch it. :I

Agreed. Whenever someone else was watching American Idol around me, he was the only reason I sometimes stopped to look at the screen for longer than 5 seconds. Once the singing started, I was out of there. :P

Legendslayer222 wrote:Let's not de rail this into a simon cowell thread... :lol:

Oh, right... The judges...

You have to admit, it's a funny thought imagining Simon sitting there at his PC ripping apart Unreal maps.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 14:33

This is cool.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 18:58

Lightning Hunter wrote:You have to admit, it's a funny thought imagining Simon sitting there at his PC ripping apart Unreal maps.

I AM Simon Cowell. Didn't you know that?

Seriously, the judges are listed on the "Enter the contest here" thread, along with the (dwindling) list of entrants!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 19:21

There seems to be a lack of clarity among some of the judges as to how to rate the maps, so I will post here some advice that I have already given to Shivaxi.

Maps will be assessed by a panel of judges and given a score out of 10, and the map that receives the highest average score will be the winner. A full and detailed assessment against the UnrealSP.Org review schema will not be required; however, the criteria listed on the schema will act as broad determinants of quality.

In other words, you don't need to use do a full schema score like on the review pages. You should be guided by the overall scores that we have given to reviewed map packs and the general principles of the schema do apply, but you are free to weight them according to your personal priorities in reaching your score.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 19:23

So, we're pretty much free on how to review the stuff. Can we start it already or we have to wait the Week of the Judges?
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 19:31

UBerserker wrote:So, we're pretty much free on how to review the stuff. Can we start it already or we have to wait the Week of the Judges?

I guess you can start now if you like.

Btw, another thing I haven't made clear is that I would like a paragraph or so of comments with each rating. Perhaps something like a tidier, summarised version of the comments you've already made about VVV.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 19:54

Similar to those that appear in the USP Review page? Sounds good.
ImageImage

Next