A random sentence for a random mind.

Qtit's submission

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 15:22

I rest my case as well, dear.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 16:04

sana wrote:I rest my case..
Do you ever write without having every sentence burst of negative, excessive terms? Not everything in life is fucking horrible as hell from all the goddamn crappy-ass stupid shit in it. This is like arguing with a swearing brick wall! :/

I'm preeeeeeeeetty sure you're majorly overreacting to UB's posts here.

And those Mantas are easy if they come at you one-by-one, but I did just as you said and when I had two or more at a time coming after me, the dodgy collision on the Mantas, the poor hit detection code for the Mantas' melee attack (not qtit's fault of course), and the overall shittiness of the Impact Hammer made that segment really frustrating. I died plenty of times before I managed to get out of there.

And the UT99 Impact Hammer is buggy. Sometimes it fails to properly trigger on time or at all. Even the UT3 Hammer fails to trigger sometimes when it should, but is otherwise a quantum leap in usability over the original. I'm biased here obviously, but I only like EXU's Extractor out of all the hammer-based/hammer-like weapons in this engine :p
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 14 Oct 2009, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 16:12

Did you use the boost key to dodge them and win some distance? I'm seriously running out of ideas here...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 16:16

Boost only made me move slightly faster. Boost was apparently Ctrl, which is my crouch key, so it always was a struggle to move upwards while boosting, and not boosting made me move at the normal swim speed (which is very slow). Dodging was impossible in that environment (if you're talking about the double-tap-a-movement-key sort of dodge) due to the water physics. Most of the mantas attacked from above, too, which presents other problems in this engine.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 16:31

Dodging as in avoiding, sidestrafing, backstrafing.

le shrug

It remains a mystery. Perhaps I'm the only person who did not experience a single problem through the entire campaign? The bloody thing didn't even let me deliberately jump off the train platform or push the NPC down.. and I managed to finish it while having enough fuel and air left without dying once, and I'm not exactly a hxc gaemurr. :o
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 16:59

And? People have different experiences. I don't see why you are so insistent that there's not a problem just because you didn't experience it. Some of us play games in a way where we get to really see how they work and explore all the boundaries instead of just trying to go from Point A to Point B, and this often involves doing stuff that can break the game if the designer didn't take it into account. Makes for good beta testing, though!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 17:32

Mantas hit you when they touch your collisions; insta-hit attack which cannot be really avoided at all while underwater. And Mantas simply "fly" underwater, but at a lower speed (much higher than boost mode, and even higher than the groundspeed of some enemies such as Krall and Mercenaries).
Then, there's the Impact Hammer, which sometimes you feel that the target has been not hit or viceversa. Melee weapons in Unreal feel awkard - I still remember the Chainsaw's primary fire which doesn't even push Pupae away. Rather, it takes them even closer to you :lol:

It would be a piece of cake if there would be one at time, but if other Mantas are around, you can't do much unless you're either really damn fast or lucky. Maybe Medium difficulty is reasonable, but on Unreal difficulty they become freaking bastard stingrays.
ImageImage

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 19:12

*...fears to say a word...*

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:17

I also had problems with several Mantas attacking me simultaneously. Where you have a weapon that you need time to charge for it to be effective, and where there is no opportunity to replenish or even know your health, that's pretty much a guarantee of death.

I never did manage to find the boost key, mind. I don't use the default key configuration. The tips really need to tell you which command to use, not what key to press.

My field of view was also very limited thanks to the obstructive HUD and my widescreen resolution.
Life is what you make of it.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:43

Hellscrag wrote:My field of view was also very limited thanks to the obstructive HUD and my widescreen resolution.

That was quite intended. I'll work on other things though.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:53

Is it possible to develop some kind of radar?
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:59

I was one of those people that "swam" through the caves and came up around the dark side of the asteroid, so when I saw the mantas they were miles away still and I had no trouble pegging them off as I back-swam during their attack. In fact, the only thing that was really dangerous to me then was that I was choking on my O2 fumes by that point (I barely made it back in time).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 22:55

Guys (and gals, if there are any :) ) - which of you never experienced a situation where the weapon you had available in Unreal wasn't fit for the job, or the Skaarj was so close that the ASMD would kill you before the Skaarj did?

It happened to me many times with the ASMD, the Flakcannon, the eightball, even the razorjack which killed me when the Skaarj dodged and the razor bounced back from the wall. And the rifle proved worthless for rapid fire inj close combat.

It's the same thing with the impact hammer - it's not fit for the job, but there's nothing else which can do the job quickly - so we might as well learn how to cope with it.

Isn't it part of Unreal to find yourself in precarious situations, sometimes expected, but mostly it surprises and scares the shit out of you.

I am by no means a good Unreal player - Medium is my level, Hard is a nice challenge and Unreal is bloody hard work, but I have learned to expect strange things and if I still die , it's a sign that I haven't found the best approach to the situation yet.

It's perfectly possible to die when encountering the Mantas, but it's more likely that you can spot them from far enough and have time to enter back into the ship. I also got cornered once because I waited around too long (I had gone the long way round and saw them coming but instead of getting inside quickly I just had to see them up close. Needles to say I had to rush inside with one following me inside - and still I didn't get killed!!

My opinion is that the Mantas can stay they way they are, no extra weapon is necessary - but a means of getting the health status is necessary, and some more research should go into solving the bug with saving (that to me was the only real :tdown: for the map).

I find it strange that suddenly there a big fuss about this manta + impact hammer thing, while when the map was released most of Rome was silent.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009, 23:36

salsaSkaarj wrote:I find it strange that suddenly there a big fuss about this manta + impact hammer thing, while when the map was released most of Rome was silent.

I already criticized that part in my first post of this thread. At least it doesn't seem that I am the only one to have the save bug.
ImageImage

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009, 00:39

salsaSkaarj wrote:and some more research should go into solving the bug with saving

Yea, about that. Either I have other Oldskool version, or I already repaired tis bug messing with the Game Info script. Cos that thing doesn't happen on my Unreal. UT 436 + OldSkool Amp'd 2.38. Maybe that's the problem? Or the lack of the problem on my UT?

Previous Next