Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Qtit's submission

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 06:09

LoL!!!!
WHAARGARBL!
WHAARGARBL!
WHAARGARBL!

[geek]There's an online game I play where a guy named his spaceship that[/geek]

Ok...
Barry was here.
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 19:16

Haha, I found that EE too. Pretty good.

Also, WOW. WOW. This is really awesome work, it shows you've put tons of thought and effort into it. The ship looks great save for some texturing issues and some overly-blocky architecture and some of the texturing choices aren't perfect, but all that is overshadowed by the concept. I LOVED the look of the ship once I got outside and saw its meaty grappling claws anchored into the rock. I felt like I was part of a huge parasite sucking the asteroid dry. Great stuff.

I haven't finished it yet, though, because I actually managed to die :D (on Hard) vs. the Mantas. I was already low on oxygen from exploring too much and was at like -30 before I finally got whacked and died, which was pretty entertaining. However, exploration is way, way too slow. I really would have wanted a proper speed boost to examine all that rock. There were also a lot of places where I got stuck behind a door because I was busy admiring the ship architecture, and had to wait a while before the door would reopen and let me in/out. Some more work on the triggering would definitely help this out.

I'll resume from where I last left off before I died and finish it up once I've eaten some food. Really nice work. I can't wait to play the other maps.

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:24

Finished! I have to say the combat was absolutely terrible (multiple mantas in a space (water) environment vs. a craptastical UT impact hammer... uh, yeah, I died, a lot), but that was really the only major downside. I liked the cutscenes, and the extro was quite nice. Looking forward to the other maps!

Also, boost seems to be bound to the Crouch key, which seems like a bad idea. For one thing, most people won't assume that that's the case (I didn't even see it mentioned in the readme), and for another, when you are trying to fly UP and you hold crouch to boost, it doesn't really make it easy to move around.

Still, though. Loved this. I really liked the crude jokes that one guy was making, the realdoll crate EE, etc. Lots of nice subtle bits.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:27

I believe the boost is bound to Walk, not Crouch - a plausible idea, since many games have a Sprint key rather than a Walk key.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:29

I know I always went faster when I held crouch (for me, right control). I don't have anything bound to Walk in UT, as I've never needed it before. The thing was, while I did go faster, I also went slightly downwards :P

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:31

Waffnuffly wrote:I know I always went faster when I held crouch (for me, right control). I don't have anything bound to Walk in UT, as I've never needed it before. The thing was, while I did go faster, I also went slightly downwards :P

Yes, you go faster downwards. :lol:

Same as in water.

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:32

Legendslayer222 wrote:Yes, you go faster downwards. :lol:

Same as in water.

No, I went faster in EVERY direction when I held crouch, but I ALSO went downwards from crouch. Without holding that key, I barely moved at a snail's pace.

Is there some kind of engine noise for the boost so you have audio or visual feedback that you are activating it?

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:34

Waffnuffly wrote:
Legendslayer222 wrote:Yes, you go faster downwards. :lol:

Same as in water.

No, I went faster in EVERY direction when I held crouch, but I ALSO went downwards from crouch. Without holding that key, I barely moved at a snail's pace.

Is there some kind of engine noise for the boost so you have audio or visual feedback that you are activating it?

Not that I got.

(Oh, & I boosted with walk as well.)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:38

The crouching speedboost in water areas is not new to me. I remember it being in an unpatched Unreal of some sort.
ImageImage

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:57

WOW! Q! This is awesome - I want to do some mapping for the full version!!

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 22:36

Ok, ok, I'll fix the script!! (there's no script for the boosting though, I just found out that player somehow swims faster walking)

Kaka, I'll think about it. :D

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 00:23

qtit wrote:Ok, ok, I'll fix the script!! (there's no script for the boosting though, I just found out that player somehow swims faster walking)

Which reminds me, in some places, Can't remember where in waterzones You can go superfast using this method.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 12:28

{WINGS}Zombiehunter wrote:
qtit wrote:Ok, ok, I'll fix the script!! (there's no script for the boosting though, I just found out that player somehow swims faster walking)

Which reminds me, in some places, Can't remember where in waterzones You can go superfast using this method.

It's not water zone, it's nitrogen zone. Gotta make space zone though...

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:28

Very good replay value, I'm on my 5th playthrough. :tup:

A few things: One time, uh... The guy who pushes the button to send the turbo lift down didn't press the button. I had to reload the game to get him to do it. I think I might have accidentally blocked him though.

I'm still having the problem where I go super slow, it always seems to happen halfway through someone speaking, mosly that guy on the bridge when you first go up to see him. He says something like "cut the chatter, you know the drill!" & I slow down.

The other thing is the skaarj in the intro thing, maybe he could attack from the front? I didn't notice he was even what killed me the first time I played it.

All things considered though, this is my favourite map of the competition. :D :tup:

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:59

Legendslayer222 wrote:I'm still having the problem where I go super slow, it always seems to happen halfway through someone speaking, mosly that guy on the bridge when you first go up to see him. He says something like "cut the chatter, you know the drill!" & I slow down.

I'll look into it... Some day :/

Legendslayer222 wrote:The other thing is the skaarj in the intro thing, maybe he could attack from the front? I didn't notice he was even what killed me the first time I played it.

You should hear Skaarj growl from the back... Growl, howl, something skaarj-ish. Not wiskey.

Previous Next