Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Enslaved

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:37

jackrabbit wrote:And for people complaining about geometry bugs.... dude, he only had 6 weeks to make this... what do you expect?

Was not Complaining, I was Reporting the bugs, Which reminds me of another Translator message error lol, The skaarj message of the one "executing" the Nalis says "I take no proud in this" Should be "pride" Just to let you know.

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 21:56

Legend - no its not over, go to the area in twon where you got a wall with archway in the middle , press the button ( previous try before doing the two button sequence hsoul give you acces denied message) and the doors willl open and then you continue, the map has no cool ending, you just get teleported to the begining of teh map!!!! Zombiehunter is right - the map is full of nasty ass bugs and stuff so don't blame him - blame me!!ARGH! ( proud changed to pride lol)

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 22:24

Don't want to put blame on you either.. Just helping you finish the bugs of this awesome map, It was very entertaining to play it.. REMINDED if not mentioned THAT inside the Cave with the invisible wall bug has another bug inside.. You will see trough the wall in some places...

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 22:52

Excellent map. I played through it on Medium since I had heard it was pretty hard, but I found it rather easy for the most part. I'll run through it again on Unreal.

I LOVED that huge tower you see after the algae lake (and I loved that algae, too, nice touch). Though I did notice the waterzone wasn't set to bFogZone, so the skybox fog flickers in and out when you bob near the surface. Might want to fix that. Also, I loved that little house near the start; it felt so cozy and nice (well, save for the brutes). Great atmosphere.

Performance tanked for me starting at the algae lake, though, and I can't really see why. Lots of dynamic lights, maybe? Also, the Harobed music trigger trips multiple times.

The outdoor terrain is staggeringly awesome, though. I can't believe you made all this in 6 weeks. Incredible.

Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed by the lack of sound; there really wasn't much. I expected more from various Skaarj devices and gas lanterns and stuff. Also, that very last fight was stupidly hard; not only is the Redeemer hard to find, but it's hard to even GET when you literally have like 200 Skaarj everywhere. I just had to god mode that and summon some EXU guns to blow the shit out of everything just to GET the Redeemer, and even then I was still taking shots left and right. That last thing definitely needs to be better thought-out. I also don't really get how/why the Skaarj are using Nali to teleport tons of themselves into a given area, but whatever. Story was pretty lacking, too. I didn't really know much about who I was or why I was there or what was going on other than the weird Nali stuff.

Also, there was I think one area you could easily access by hopping down from a wall (near where the Skaarj said he didn't take any pride in executing the Nali, which I found extremely uncharacteristic for a Skaarj) but couldn't get back up again. Your only option was to either fly mode back or leap down into that huge field and backtrack a long way. Maybe adding some boxes there would be a good idea. There are also some oddly chosen textures here and there, and occasionally that grass texture you used looked more like a GenFluid slime texture than grass, IMO.

Overall, though, this is a great map, but it's very very lacking in polish. For the compilation, I expect this one will be utterly fantastic, though, and I'm looking forward to TCO even more given the quality of this map.

Oh, and when I saw that Chizra-like spike launcher, I said "oh YES" aloud because I KNEW it was going to be for that huge tower. I was kinda sad that there wasn't much more to the tower than that, though, but it did look neat. I also had one mover which refused to carry me upwards (out of the underground area); I'd just fall through it.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 23:22

Like I said before it's full of bugs, the story was kind of last minute thing. That's why i understand people getting confused what's the story with nalis and shit - but that's to be done properly. As for the tower - it will be accesible from the bottom as well, with more locations to visit. Final battle... Well you can always kill the Nali before they spawn Skaarj around lol. That will be redone as well :tup: Thanks for ( all in all) enthusiastic opinions. The final version will be prepared with super attention to detail, the way TCO maps are done, so expect something a lot better than what you can play now :tup:

nikosv

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 04:11

Bah, it seems like I can't play any of these maps. I got a GPF when I opened it, something regarding a failure to generate mipmaps.

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 04:28

Are you using the stock D3D renderer?

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 06:04

oh right, yeah that only happens if there's a texture used that wasn't imported with the Generate Mipmaps function and you're using Direct3D. Why are you using that renderer anyway? I thought I installed OpenGL on your computer and switched you to that a while ago? Or maybe that was for Unreal 1....didn't do that for UT99 lol...well yeah switch to OpenGL or something :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 08:28

Played this map again on Unreal difficulty this time and it was an even better experience than before! This map deserves the Gold!

Also, I actually made it through the entire map without dying once (with the exception of the boss battle). Let it be known, I came very close to dying numerous times during the 'Unreal' difficulty play through of the map, but always seemed to revive (making my confidence grow larger and larger).

SPOILER ALERT
As for the boss battle.... I really do like the concept of it and I did actually beat it without any cheating. I would recommend that you don't start the nali spawning before the player has picked up the redeemer. It should instead activate right when the player has hold of the redeemer so he can shoot the nali as they spawn in. The way I beat the boss battle was by using the redeemer to shoot the right half of the platform to hell. Then, I started activating buttons in a "ring around the rosy" fashion. When I got back to the front of the teleporter, I blew everything following me to hell. I then quickly jumped into the teleporter and successfully ended the map.

I think I'm going to save replaying it for a 3rd time when you have made significant changes. Really awesome work Kaka!!!! I'm definitely looking forward to TCO after this one (regardless of the insane timeline)

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 10:31

*Spoilers be here*

Yay!!! Last boss fight was brilliant. Sad in the end, because I couldn't even trust the Nali who have halped me so much in other games. :(

My favourite bit has to be the elevator ride going over the electric field thing in the cave. I had to look for Skaarj & Tentacles all the time, & so nearly got knocked off the lift.

Another little big I might have mentioned already: Collision on the trees isn't really big enough, I could walk into the trunks on most of them, & some I could completely walk through.

When the gameplay & bugs are sorted for the final version, I will play once more. :twisted:

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 14:31

Legendslayer222 wrote:My favourite bit has to be the elevator ride going over the electric field thing in the cave. I had to look for Skaarj & Tentacles all the time, & so nearly got knocked off the lift.

Oh yeah, that WAS cool. The problem was the lift ZOOMED back to Keyframe 0 at the end before I could jump off and I got killed somehow :p Setting it to TriggerToggle would probably prevent this (or set the NumFrames value to the right amount).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 14:59

Currently playing (Medium difficulty) and liking it, having to use the DP with ony the enforcer for tight situations is just right up to now.
No bugs encountered yet (at least none I couldn't take care of).

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 15:43

Waffnuffly wrote:
Legendslayer222 wrote:My favourite bit has to be the elevator ride going over the electric field thing in the cave. I had to look for Skaarj & Tentacles all the time, & so nearly got knocked off the lift.

Oh yeah, that WAS cool. The problem was the lift ZOOMED back to Keyframe 0 at the end before I could jump off and I got killed somehow :p Setting it to TriggerToggle would probably prevent this (or set the NumFrames value to the right amount).

Playing it first time I instinctly jumped off it before it reached the last frame... So it was a shock when it flew back through the cellign.

I liked the map very much, big, full of everything (exept ammo), and the fight at the end with all those skaarj (I panicked when they started to spawn so I ran... and THAT was a mistake) was... Erm... I didn't finish the map yet.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 17:24

Finished (eumhh, not really), finally and certainly frantically.

Let's start with the good parts.
Scenery is beautiful and the use of plants, colour, variation between old buildings, newer stuff, caves towers, etc... is really refreshing. Gameplay is near to perfect (on Medium)... until (well, you know what)

And the bad news is ...

- a couple of invisible obstructions actually blocking the player in an area.
- sometimes 2 Skaarj seem to be fighting each other when in fact they are both fighting some kind of invisible enemy, completely disregarding the player.
- a couple of visible structures (a wooden terrace, part of the elevator in the tower) let the player fall through
- a cave which you can't enter but have to, and then messes up 3 or even 4 dimensions
- and the end-fight - argghhhh, rubbish - even though I knew there was something wrong with the Nali's (3x a Nali appears praying to the gods and 3x in a row a herd of Skaarj make me waste time which is hint enough and correct for the gameplay development) and I decided to kill the next one as soon as possible - it remains impossible for me to finish this map. The first Nali I saw didn't have time to say Wobada before he was Flakked - yet there were already like 25 Skaarj around me.

I managed to escape and counted killing 21 trying to get to that redeemer when I started running out of ammo, turned on God mode and counted Skaarj - at around 40 I stopped and ghosted to find out there's another Nali at the back and there are Skaarj spawning from god knows where.
Summoned some extra ammo and cleared the area of Nali and Skaarj until another herd of around 30 appeared from under some stairways in front, and then also at the back - so had to summon some more ammo (I forgot which code kills everything) and finish the job more or less. Only then could I finally see all switches.

I am not even going to try this on Hard, let alone Unreal.
Although the map starts very promising and I even thought that this was very strong competition for VVV and the Last Fortress - I have completely lost that feeling now - the fight on top of the tower was just flirting with inacceptability, as was progressing to Teleporter but what comes after reaching it is not for me, and not something to attract beginner players.

Not much good news compared to the amount of bad news, is there? Well, it's lopsided because basically the map is darn good but is messed up because of a gameplay choice which doesn't seem to cater for the average player.
OK, it has some bugs which is understandable and accepted considering the time available but that is probably relatively easily fixed for the compilation version. As to the final battle - I feel this one should be rethought through. I think the concept is fine and is part of the story which was developed, but give the player a fair and square chance - 20 Skaarj, ok - I can still handle that, maybe 30 but OMFG they respawned faster than I could shoot, let alone kill (to tell the truth I have no idea how fast respawning takes place but that's just about what I was thinking when I killed a Skaarj and 3 replaced him).

Again, 90% of this map is great, but the remaining 10% has about 90% impact on the general overview.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 17:49

The nali spawning skaarj - right now th code is still wip so i'm glad they at least spawn pawns ( I will talk this over with Raven and we will find the best solution to how it should work). In the final version the whole spawning thing will look ( i mean the effects etc.) different than now - you wil get particles flying around and stuff - so it will be easier to determine what kind of monster and how many of them have been spawned.

To be honest I'm actually susrpised with such positive feedback - this version of the map looks like more or less scripted TCO maps from 2 years back - and still there are things in it poeple like - that's good :tup: Too bad I didn't manage to finish this - it would be better for al those who have already played this and were let down with the bugs and stuff.

Previous Next