Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

SP-Phoenix Rising

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 06:45

I found a Rocket launcher in the hut at the beginning yes, but :O there was no way back so i had to fly back to the bridge END SPOILER.'
Also you seem have forgotten the Translator :P

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 17:55

{WINGS}Zombiehunter wrote:I found a Rocket launcher in the hut at the beginning yes, but :O there was no way back so i had to fly back to the bridge END SPOILER.'
Also you seem have forgotten the Translator :P

Ehm... I found that thing in the hut when I played the second level.. but then there is no way back, so yeah.. you can disregard that afaik. You can also go with the water in that level and slip in between the bars into the cave.. where there is nothing..

As for the translator.. no it IS there. You just don't get it at the start, but enter the mill and it's right there together with the quadshot and a few familiar names.

Loved it.. but the ending was weird. The real ending tells me that I just have to go to File and end the level. However, first time I got in the second level, I had a door that opened for me, but then I got killed. So I had to restart that level.. and then the door didn't want to open for me. So I ghosted thru... and went to the mill, ghosted in there as well. Funny enough, then I get the message that I've reached the end, because it gives me the regular ending of a level (how much is killed etc.)

I wanted to see some more snow falling though.. right now it was just a flake here and there.. :P Other than that.. I was looking forward to this one; loved Odyssey and Sarevok's use of colors. :D :tup: (altho it gave me a sick feeling before when i would play it for a long time.. :lol: )

Sarevok
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:28

The translator is in the first map, first hut on the table. You shouldn't have to ghost thru anything, I never had any door problems. I believe I set most of the doors to trigger once only, so they always stay open. The windmill is supposed to be locked in the second map. I kept the snow light for performance issues, wasn't sure how it would affect the FPS. Thanks {Wings} and Darkon for your feedback so far, I will look into the issues you guys had. Also {Wings} you really need to explore more :wink: I have a feeling you missed alot of stuff :P I wasn't really sure how to end it, so that explains the weird ending :P What did you guys think of the difficulty? Need more ammo? More health?

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:38

By the way Sarevok, I promise I haven't forgotten about your map, I just haven't had time for it yet! After work today, though, I'll give it a spin!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:41

I exterminated your set of four elemental Skaarj on Unreal difficulty (took some screenshots too). I think another Health Pack would be enough.
And yeah, you can't go back if you go in the hub. I only took the Automag in the first map (it's a serious necessity). Hey, the Chainsaw is pretty damn good against the Mercenaries!
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 20:15

Desperately trying not to read this topic, so just blindly stating that I hope to give this one a shot this evening - and I think I that would then complete my list.

Sarevok

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 21:03

It's cool Waff, I've only had time to play Kakas map so far, hope you enjoy it.

That's right salsaSkaarj, save the best for last... :rolleyes: :P lol

Uberserker you're the man! I added a few extras to unreal difficulty, I must admit though that I never got a chance to test it :o

Did anybody find the secrets? There's 3 of them, 2 are kind of easy to find and the other is pretty difficult. If you do announce them make sure they're hidden here.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:10

Am about to play this entry, once I've downloaded the various fixed versions / missing files.

Did the rules about sharing custom content get completely forgotten about? The zip contains about 10 supporting packages from various other sources, which is massively OTT for a single map release and is going to make our compilation release a nightmare.
Life is what you make of it.

Sarevok

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:37

Sorry Scrag it was a combination of some laziness/lack of time/and not sure which files were needed. With 7 Bullets, Xidia, ONP, and Unreality installed I lost track of what files went with what. I agree with the OTT, which is the biggest reason I really didn't want to release this. 25 MB of files for 2 small maps with about 10 min of play time seemed ridiculous and silly to release. If it's a problem you don't have to include it with the compilation, I'd be fine with that. Honestly it would probably be better to not include this with the compilation as it would make things easier for everybody, but that's your call.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:22

Hmm. I've finished, and I'm not convinced about this entry to be honest :/ - the design is great, but I think the gameplay needs a lot more work. For the compilation version, I also reckon a lot of work can be done to balance the gameplay and cut out some of the extraneous packages.

My full comments will follow when we announce the scores.

P.S. Cutting the map from the compilation release really isn't a route that I would want to go down!

P.P.S. IS there a way to get back from the house at the start without Fly or Ghost mode? If so, it's really, really not obvious. IMO the essential inventory supplies should also never be missable by the player.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:30

P.P.P.S. - There was no commentary included in your zip. Please can we have one?

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:51

OK I played this and, well, yeah, very very rough around the edges. The scripted scene where the Mercs bust out is where they are supposed to attack the Skaarj, right? They didn't, because I had already killed said Skaarj :P I guess the triggers aren't placed right for that event. Also, the gameplay was really weak, and I am generally not a fan of a huge mishmash of weapons in SP (especially the UT Chainsaw, which is easily the worst FPS chainsaw in existence by a long shot). The Quadshot was overpowered, Pulsegun nearly useless, UT Rifle overpowered, ASMD nearly useless (against the bosses), etc. And there wasn't really much combat, except for the boss fight, which dropped me from 100 health and 100 shield to 16 health in about 20 seconds. I had to godmode the rest (and this was on Medium!). Pretty much impossible fight, there.

That said, I DID really like the visuals, and the idea was really cool. Also, good music choices, even if the boss music wasn't really fitting, that is one of my favorites. I liked the whole going back in time bit. I just wish the map was more polished and had more consistency in story presentation, gameplay design and balance, and weapon/item usage, etc. There were a couple bugs like Scrag mentioned, but those are overshadowed by the overall feeling of incompleteness. Also, while the textures were different between future and past, the placement of objects wasn't. Also, was that tower meant to be inaccessible in the past? I couldn't get back up there.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:54

The boss fight is straightforward if you use the boots to jump up onto the ring-shaped platform, via the huge torches. Just don't fall off...

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:56

Oh, haha, totally didn't notice that. I walked into the middle, shot the artifact, then pretty much got instagibbed, saved only by my quick typing of "god" :D

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 00:08

Yeah, I also went over the columns, let the bosses hurt themselves, and then finish them with all the weapons (except the Pulse Gun since it sucks in SP).
ImageImage

Previous Next