Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Contest Now Closed

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 17:16

So, um, how much will we be able to pimp our entries for the compilation? Is it possible to extend the map length/gameplay area? I wish to make Right2Live a time-based survival map, adding different baddies and supplies over time, so there is actual gameplay and people can compare their survival times, providing a map goal.
Perhaps it's time for a compilation discussion thread?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 07:29

I'm hoping those ones who didn't make it to the contest deadline continue their projects to finish. :o Either way, good work to everyone. For some reason, this ended up way more successful then the USP Map Chain Project. :P

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 22:17

I've played and reviewed every map now. My winner is VVV. It's polished, has an original theme, a full and integrated story and enjoyable gameplay with a few twists. It's not quite the best in all areas; I think I'd give TLF the edge in combat, Enslaved in architecture and lighting and ISV Dragonfly in story (what's there of it). But VVV is definitely the most well-rounded and polished.

For the speedmaps it would have to be Peanut's Speed Mine, which feels quite complete for a six-hour level. It's funny how a map made in six hours now manages to be much better than maps that probably took days for some authors back when Unreal was new :) .

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 23:14

I've also played and judged everything now. MMAN, I appreciate the sentiments, but I don't think VVV is going to win. :)
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 23:50

Mman, I take it you're not part of the judging team (although strictly you did not make scores public).

As for the speedmaps, I see no other winner than Peanut's Speed mine with all the others a close second :D

But to choose a winner beween VVV, TLF, Enslaved or ISV Dragonfly is hard (but feasible, even on Unreal).

Fortunately, life was made a bit easier for me due to a couple of errors in Enslaved which really hamper progress. The (very) good points have been mentioned and it was probably almost impossible given the timeframe to fix everything including the end-difficulty, but the end result didn't provide the same feeling of having played a complete map.

Similarly ISV Dragonfly has its (unquestionable) merits (e.g. originality) and again given the timeframe it doesn't seem possible that a complete adventure could be provided. It certainly leaves the player wanting more, but I was expecting being able to feel I had finished a campaign.

That leaves me with VVV and TLF which are both complete stories with good implementation of difficulty settings, surprising environment, perfectly playable (ok, slight hitches here and there, but nothing drastic) and lots of new and surprising/unexpected events.

VVV gave me the true Unreal experience and could have been taken from the stock Unreal (which is probably of lower quality). I can't judge lightening, build and other technical stuff but its seems to be slightly better than TLF in that department and replay value is certainly high. Nicely staged battles and well spaced weaponry and health. It's damn hard to find anything wrong with VVV.

TLF is ... amazing, even in such a way that it seems impossible to have been made in 6 weeks. The MasterBlaster (or ClusterFucker, whatever) is a new weapon which makes its entrance with a real blast (I suspect this is custom content on which Waff has been working on before the contest - I am not insinuating anything, after all it was allowed - it is just that this weapon has such an eefct and yet in this map the environment is such that having the weapon is no guarantee for victory - I stand in awe at its use in the map). The size of the Fortress itself, especially the bridge to it, is extraordinary, as is the number of enemies (with different weaponry) encountered and the use of OddsOfAppearance (whatever) really gives an extra boost to replay value. Yes there are a couple of gameplay problems here and there but the sheer size and length, with difficult battles and sometimes puzzling but fitting means of progressing give it a slight edge over VVV. With the end scene the final push is given and I have to give the gold medal to Waffnuffly with The Last Fortress.

Again, my opinion is largely based on replay value, gameplay, the feeling of executing a Quest, and the time a map can keep me busy without becoming boring - this implies that in most cases when two equally entertaining maps are proposed I will choose the lengthier map because my pleasure-time is thus extended. Obvious errors such as HOMs, invisible walls, fall through areas I can notice but the more intricate subtilities of lightening, texturing and alignment are not taken into account (since I am totally under-noob in this respect).

So, in my book TLF is the winner with VVV a very close second, and bronze is shared by Enslaved and ISV Dragonfly.

Disclaimer - this is a personal and momentary opinion which may change as I replay every map.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 00:04

Seems like salsaskaarj has similar opinions as mine, regarding the normal entries.
Still have to try the 6-hours ones.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 00:13

salsaSkaarj wrote:The MasterBlaster (or ClusterFucker, whatever) is a new weapon which makes its entrance with a real blast (I suspect this is custom content on which Waff has been working on before the contest - I am not insinuating anything, after all it was allowed

lol, I built that gun in about 3 days with 2 or so weeks left in the contest! I didn't even think of the concept for it until I had been working on the map for a few days.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, though :tup:

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 00:23

Waffnuffly wrote:..lol, I built that gun in about 3 days with 2 or so weeks left in the contest! I didn't even think of the concept for it until I had been working on the map for a few days.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, though :tup:

If that is the case then an even bigger :tup:

There are maps in which this weapon would be pure shit, and if that bridge wouldn't have the boxes and structures, the same would apply.
My enthousiasm is brought on by the correct use of that weapon, regardless of the special effects - it would have been easy to mess up the environment/weapon balance and make TLF a forgetable experience.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 05:18

LoL off topic

Get this, been 6 years with bad tooth, they called on the day of pulling, the power went out.

Secondly, any server won't be until after sept 17 ,gonna run a MH and or RD and or all SP stuff or a combination.
Getting there folks, should be a one year rental, so sit back and relax for a winter server.

(mabye some DM) gameservers . com, unless you all have better rental suggestions.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 12:51

Will all the contest maps go into MOTW?

(& will the maps recently reviewed by UBerserker go into MOTW?)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 13:11

Legendslayer222 wrote:Will all the contest maps go into MOTW?

(& will the maps recently reviewed by UBerserker go into MOTW?)

The reviewed ones automatically go into MOTW. For the contest ones, the updated versions should be discussed.
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 13:19

UBerserker wrote:For the contest ones, the updated versions should be discussed.

Ah, good point.

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 18:48

Other than that would be a mistake! :B

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009, 21:18

Finished reviewing the maps. The Speed Mine surprised me too.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2009, 00:39

The webpages for the announcement of the results are almost ready to go... I'm just awaiting one final review from one of the judges, as well as still needing to write my own rambling intro to the feature.

My guess is that I'll be able to make the announcement tomorrow (Monday).

Life is what you make of it.

Previous Next