ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Thoughts for the compilation version

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Thoughts for the compilation version

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:22

At sana's suggestion, this is a thread for the discussion of how to go about the compilation release.

Key things to think about:

- How to join the maps together (current thinking is a HUB map where you choose your map, a little like the start map in Quake).

- How much additional work we should allow to be done on the submitted maps for the compilation release.

Remember that the leader of the compilation project has yet to be decided - it depends who wins the contest. So this is strictly discussion only at this stage; we can't expect to take any decisions yet.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:27

Has it been decided which maps will be included? What about entrants who decided to retreat but may still finish their maps well within time for inclusion?

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:30

I think we should still stick to the initial rules, maybe we should avoid adding much more custom content since, at this point, we should just be fixing up maps, not fundamentally overhauling them. Maybe some people could make a case against this (I think Kaka wanted to add fixed turrets in his map) for specific stuff, but otherwise I sorta saw this interim period as a chance to polish off maps instead of expanding on them.

Hub map still seems like the most technically feasible way to link multiple different maps together, although Rise of USP seems to be problematic since it requires RTNP2UT to work in UT, and that's a pretty big download IIRC for just one map.

Sarevok
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:31

Is there going to be a story or anything? or are these maps just going to be linked together?

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Thoughts for the compilation version

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:31

Hellscrag wrote:- How to join the maps together (current thinking is a HUB map where you choose your map, a little like the start map in Quake).

Hub has been agreed by almost everyone, sounds like the best idea. As the different packs have different huds & things, are there going to be troubles switching between different packs? & what is the ending going to be, trophy room? Bonus level?

Hellscrag wrote:- How much additional work we should allow to be done on the submitted maps for the compilation release.

All bugs should be fixed, & the speed maps with no ending should get one. :P Things that improve gameplay (like adding extra enemies & ammo) should be allowed. I don't think major things like adding big cut scenes & areas should be done, a bit too much of a tweak if you ask me.

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:32

Sarevok wrote:Is there going to be a story or anything? or are these maps just going to be linked together?

Just linked. The stories are all way way way too different for it to make any sense.

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:35

Legendslayer222 wrote:Hub has been agreed by almost everyone, sounds like the best idea. As the different packs have different huds & things, are there going to be troubles switching between different packs? & what is the ending going to be, trophy room? Bonus level?

I'm guessing there won't be an "end" - you'll just get brought back to the hub (which kills your inventory at the start).

Does qtit's map use a custom playerpawn? That could pose some technical issues if it does, unless that is controlled by the GameInfo.

I also worry about some maps with MyLevel code, like mine; it's unlikely, but sometimes MyLevel freaks out when you switch between two maps with different MyLevel content. If we run into too many technical burdens, I think just including them all in one zip and having an .int file for all the maps to appear individually in Oldskool would be a suitable backup solution.

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 20:24

I will add some more decos, one new pawn and of course custom stationary guns - stationary versions of some guns from the original arsenal.

As for a hub map - i thought about something like Blood2 addon had - there were few guys talking about their past stories with damned creatures whatever. Hub map seems easy and sensible - but we can make much more than that.

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 20:28

That's a cool idea and all, but then you start mixing stories and it falls apart. Keeping each map distinctly its own thing while still encompassing them all under the USP logo or whatever seems like the best approach to me.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 21:03

Would it be possible to hook the maps up to the Unreal hubmap.. that was included in the map folder, but never was hooked up to anything, but it wouldn't work? (some kind of spaceship with portals to maps). Forgot the name of that file...

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 21:25

Waffnuffly wrote:Does qtit's map use a custom playerpawn? That could pose some technical issues if it does, unless that is controlled by the GameInfo.

Yup, it's controlled by Game Info. So no problem I think. Though, I'm not sure if I want my map to be in this hub thing... Got mixed feelings.

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 21:55

Darkon wrote:Would it be possible to hook the maps up to the Unreal hubmap.. that was included in the map folder, but never was hooked up to anything, but it wouldn't work? (some kind of spaceship with portals to maps). Forgot the name of that file...

Gateway.unr. A revamped version of this, perhaps, could actually make a really cool hub map. Good idea.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 21:58

qtit wrote:Yup, it's controlled by Game Info. So no problem I think. Though, I'm not sure if I want my map to be in this hub thing... Got mixed feelings.

By entering the contest you did agree to it being part of the compilation (it was in the rules). It would be a great shame if you were to take it out IMO, particularly if you were to win the contest (which remains to be seen).

Waffnuffly wrote:Gateway.unr. A revamped version of this, perhaps, could actually make a really cool hub map. Good idea.

A possibility, yeah, although I kinda like the idea of the hub map having a themed room for each map.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:10

qtit wrote:I'm not sure if I want my map to be in this hub thing... Got mixed feelings.

I can understand that as your entry is kind of a demo for the big project, but it should still be included. Otherwise, the hub would only have 9 maps. :tdown: It would be, in a way, advertising, & you could put disclaimers that this is only part of a full project.

One day I'll probably do a complete remake of Rise Of USP, but I'll still enter the original here.

Argh, confusing dilema :/ It's up to you if you want it in there or not, because you have a valid reason for not submitting.

If the worst comes to the worst, you can always submit SuperSkaarjKiller... No wait, I forgot the name.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:32

Hellscrag wrote:By entering the contest you did agree to it being part of the compilation (it was in the rules). It would be a great shame if you were to take it out IMO, particularly if you were to win the contest (which remains to be seen).

Hm, well, in that case... I'll think about it.

Hellscrag wrote:
Waffnuffly wrote:Gateway.unr. A revamped version of this, perhaps, could actually make a really cool hub map. Good idea.

A possibility, yeah, although I kinda like the idea of the hub map having a themed room for each map.

I would see it like this. The winner builds the main room of the map along with the path to his map, then he sends unfinished map to other contestants. They, one after another, add parts of the map leading to their maps. Simple, everyone has his part in it, and the winner has the greates deal in it.

I'm genious :D

Next