Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Thoughts for the compilation version

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 01:38

Shivaxi wrote:Well he DID ask me to review it...and I did lol.

O.O' Wheres the review??

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 02:32

Well none of the reviews have been publicized yet, as I don't believe all the judges have completed them.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 03:13

Waffnuffly wrote:That's a cool idea and all, but then you start mixing stories and it falls apart. Keeping each map distinctly its own thing while still encompassing them all under the USP logo or whatever seems like the best approach to me.

Waffs got it pegged here imho...entries are too diverse for story cohesion. Also true that authors should only *polish* what has already been entered. Let's not start adding new packages of any sort. Lord knows it's been an annoyance with some entries already. Note how some entries have managed to keep it nice and neat dispite custom content. :tup:
Old as Dirt

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 03:46

zbreaker wrote:Waffs got it pegged here imho...entries are too diverse for story cohesion. Also true that authors should only *polish* what has already been entered. Let's not start adding new packages of any sort. Lord knows it's been an annoyance with some entries already. Note how some entries have managed to keep it nice and neat dispite custom content. :tup:

Well, to be fair, some maps that included custom content had to use external packages as it wasn't content they created themselves. Anything you made yourself could be put in MyLevel, though, of course, though I really hate dealing with MyLevel and I am NEVER going to do that again for code. Sounds and textures are fine; code is all sorts of annoying in MyLevel. A detached .u file is way way more flexible too.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 03:59

I know I shouldn't really comment on this since you're only including maps that were finished in time for the deadline, but while I was still pushing to get Dead Cell done in time I thought maybe a flyby-like HUB map would do, and you could call it "Unreal Stories." And when you brought up the menu, you could select which one you wanted to play. The fly-by HUB could have elements of each person's work (like a group effort) in a sort of conglomerate set piece. With Dead Cell, I taught myself how to use UMS and wouldn't mind setting up the camera work for such a HUB if you guys were to go that route. All you'd really need is a coder to set up the particulars of the HUB.

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 11:57

I would have idea, the 6 week maps could have the hub thingy and after they are done there is those 3 6 hour maps that are unlocked and you are allowed to enter either of them. though Peanuts map had an Ending it could be excluded as an "endless" map of 6 hours of making, or so i dunno, It sounded good to me in my brain xD

User avatar zacman

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 01:15

Maybe we could use the KeyMover (In the Content Creation thread) and just stick something like a variation on the Upak.Comptablet in every map, and when players return to the Hub Map, this unlocks another map?
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 01:34

The idea is that all maps are accessible from the start. You should never be forced to play one map in order to play another when they are all unlinked. It's just bad design. And what about repeat plays? Why should someone have to replay a bunch of maps if their favorite is at the end when they just want to have a quick run-through?

User avatar zacman

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 01:46

I mean have some credits map with several doors, so the player has to finish all the maps to access that one...
ImageImage

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009, 01:51

Ah, yeah that could work. So long as all the maps are playable at will and kept distinct from each other (story wise, etc) I'm open to pretty much anything, really.

Sarevok
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009, 22:51

Any news on the compilation? I'm just curious about the time frame for it.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009, 23:15

Sarevok wrote:Any news on the compilation? I'm just curious about the time frame for it.

After the three week judging...

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009, 02:25

Legendslayer222 wrote:
Sarevok wrote:Any news on the compilation? I'm just curious about the time frame for it.

After the three week judging...

I finished all my reviews...dunno what's taking so long for everyone to review the maps and get them posted on here to announce the winner...come ON Hellscraggy!! :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009, 08:53

Scrag is out. Wait the next week.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009, 12:57

I've been on holiday, yes, and am just waiting on the last couple of reviews from one of the judges before announcing the results.

I think I already know how the final score board will look.
Life is what you make of it.

Previous Next