Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Thoughts for the compilation version

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:39

May I add my 2 cents into this?

Let's just say for the sake of saying, that we decide to link all the maps together to fit into a one big story line. Just pretend for a moment. I have an idea which MAY or may not work...but if we really worked together and everyone liked this idea, then it can definitely work.

Now, I'm not sure HOW this would work, as I am no scripter, but I'm sure those who are could figure out a way to do the following: What if, in order to tie each map together into one story line, we had it start off something like this. There would be a hub map, where you could choose which "Character" to play as first. And by "Character" I mean the individual maps. Now for each of those maps, they could be edited in a way where the endings take on a different role for the next map that you choose. For example: The ending of Qtit's map where the space ship falls from the sky, happens to land at the front gates The Last Fortress (Waffnuffly's map) and then those 2 characters are suddenly working together to defeat The Last Fortress. You could switch between which character to play as, with each character having unique characteristics depending on their background, and the other characters, as you pick up more and more, would be bots and follow your every command, kind of like on Operation Na Pali when controlling the Nali Fighters. This could also work in multiplayer as well. Of course people wouldn't be able to play the same character, and if there aren't enough characters, then some people would either be waiting for the game to pick up a new character for them to join or eventually you'd run out of characters and they couldn't play at all. I can see where people would not like this idea, but if we can supply more characters (like maybe take some of the other people from the ISV Dragonfly instead of just the one guy that you play as) the cooperative mode is definitely a possibilty.

This is just an idea, and it is very open for suggestions right now, so please feel free to contribute if you have any ideas that could possibly add to this one or make this one work better. And I know this would require a lot of scripting to get this to work properly, and no I'm not a scripter unfortunately, but I believe with some time and effort, this could turn out to be really cool.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Thoughts for the compilation version

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:47

Legendslayer222 wrote:If the worst comes to the worst, you can always submit SuperSkaarjKiller... No wait, I forgot the name.

I forgot it too...
No, there's just no way I'm gonna put that thing there.

Ok, ISV can join the HUB maps. But if it does, I need time to fix all the things there... Which I was thinking to do sometime later...

@Shivaxi

Impossible in case of ISV. Firstly, I have no experiance with Cooperative that's why all the script I do for ISV is SP only, and by saying only, i mean ONLY. What's more, last three days I was working on Following/Guiding Pawn for ISV, and I know how much of work has to be put in that... It's just horrible (I ended up with a pawn that follows player in a straight line and shoots player's back :/ )

The thing I would see is to create a simple travelling actor with a script.

Var bool HasCompleted_VVV,
Var bool HasCompleted_ISV,
Var bool HasCompleted_TLF,
Var bool HasCompleted_Ens,
Var bool HasCompleted_So_On_So_Forth.

Everytime a player hits the Teleporter in a map, VVV for example, a trigger is runned to change HasCompleted_VVV to True. Then actor follows a player to another map, that is HUB map. In this map another little script finds this following actor and closes path to VVV... Hob's done. Tfu! Job's done...

We can also make it more complicated, do some points, how many secrets was found, bla, bla, bla...

The only part I would have to figure out is the Travelling thing. Dunno if I can.
Last edited by Anonymous on 04 Aug 2009, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:50

Shivaxi, nice idea, but the problem I have with that is that you will lose the ability to play the maps how they were intended. A map could have a set difficulty but you would make it too easy by having 40 people at your command.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 22:57

Uh, no, there's just no way I'm going to accept the idea of combined stories. It just doesn't make sense and any possible combination is just going to feel tacky, forced, and incredibly fake.

And why would you want to make a linear hub? That seems to just remove choice from the player, which is never really a good idea. Just an open hub with doors leading to individual maps would be the most sensible solution, though scripting HasCompletedX could be used for effects and awards that appear in the hub, but nothing critical. Unlockables in games outside of MMORPGs are retarded, especially unlockables that prevent you from playing what you want to play when you want to. (And, really, most MMORPGs are retarded anyway.)

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:02

Well tbh I didn't expect many people to like the idea, I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone thinks the way I do :rolleyes:

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:04

It's fine, but really... it just... doesn't work, at all :P

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:18

qtit, I like your thinking about sharing the design of the Hub map (and the travelling actor was how I was thinking it would work, too). It would be down to the contest winner to decide how to take it forwards, though, unless they choose to defer that responsibility / honour to the runner-up.
Life is what you make of it.

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:20

qtit wrote:I would see it like this. The winner builds the main room of the map along with the path to his map, then he sends unfinished map to other contestants. They, one after another, add parts of the map leading to their maps. Simple, everyone has his part in it, and the winner has the greates deal in it.

I'm genious :D

Ah yeah, I missed this. This is what I had in mind from the start and how I assumed it would play out; I really think it's the way to go :tup: So long as everyone's map is accessible right at the start. And, really, each one should probably STAY accessible, but the entry should change in appearance to show the map has been completed. No need to restrict players. If someone wants to replay Shivaxi's falling map 4 times, let them! After all it's somehow really fun for what it is :p
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 04 Aug 2009, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:21

Is it possible for me to pretty much completely re-think the gameplay of my six hour map? As it is right now, noone will play it for longer than 3 minutes because you cannot avoid running out of ammo and dying. With some tweaking I can make it a nice, challenging "endless" game with increasing opposition, firepower choices etc.
It would be quite a heavy change from the contest edition, however I'm sure everyone would profit from a more enjoyable and complete map.. I hope I can pull the "6 hour entries are special cases" card on this one too! :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:23

I say go for it sana, I really would like to see that. Hell, your map is already more fun than L4D ever was for me :P

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:25

I think we can probably allow the gameplay of our contest entries to be revised where appropriate, and exits provided where there aren't any, but I don't think any maps should be very substantially extended in build terms (even the six-hour ones).

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:29

qtit wrote:The winner builds the main room of the map along with the path to his map, then he sends unfinished map to other contestants.

Heh... You would really trust me with the map? It would come back in two pieces.

Waffnuffly wrote:And, really, each one should probably STAY accessible, but the entry should change in appearance to show the map has been completed.

A red light outside could turn green, that would do fine. :tup: No need to lock the maps off either.

sana wrote:I hope I can pull the "6 hour entries are special cases" card on this one too! :P

I don't see why not (but I have no authority around here anyway :lol: )

qtit wrote:I'm genious :D

We won't go that far, as it's meant to be spelt 'Genius'. :P

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009, 23:31

I strongly support the inclusion of the 6-hour maps in a separate "wing" of the hub map, including qtit's extra "joke" submission!

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 00:28

Hellscrag wrote:I strongly support the inclusion of the 6-hour maps in a separate "wing" of the hub map, including qtit's extra "joke" submission!

Whaa? You want that thing to be there also?

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 00:43

qtit wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:I strongly support the inclusion of the 6-hour maps in a separate "wing" of the hub map, including qtit's extra "joke" submission!

Whaa? You want that thing to be there also?

Well he DID ask me to review it...and I did lol.

Waffnuffly wrote:If someone wants to replay Shivaxi's falling map 4 times, let them! After all it's somehow really fun for what it is :p

:D :lol: :rolleyes:

Previous Next