Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

CONTEST RESULTS NOW AVAILABLE!

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: CONTEST RESULTS NOW AVAILABLE!

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 22:17

Hello all

Well, the moment has finally come! All votes are in and the contest results can now be announced.

You will find the countdown here:
http://www.unrealsp.org/community/featu ... intro.html

Feel free to post your congratulations and comments here.

The winner of the contest can claim as many as he likes of the following:

- The opportunity to lead on compiling all of the maps into a single release (for instance by means of the HUB system that we have discussed over the last few weeks).
- Web site hosting at unrealsp.org with FTP access (a pretty basic package subject to various conditions and limitations)
- An unrealsp.org e-mail address
- A special forum status, if they don't have one already

If the winner doesn't want to claim the opportunity to lead on compiling the maps, it will be passed down to the runner-up, and so on until a willing candidate is found.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 23:07

Just like as I've imagined.
ImageImage

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 23:34

Amazed to see Enslaved got 4th place.... that's still 1st place in my book (with TLF at a very close 2nd). Can't wait to play the awesome compilation version Kaka!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 23:44

jackrabbit wrote:Amazed to see Enslaved got 4th place.... that's still 1st place in my book. Can't wait to play the awesome compilation version Kaka!

If the maps were to be rated again for the compilation (they won't), then a fixed-up version of Enslaved could well leapfrog some of the others. At present, it's just too unfinished, unbalanced and bug-ridden. I believe the comments made by the judges adequately justify the scores.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 00:01

Well, I can't say I'm surprised by the final results.
But, Hold it! Wait!

First things first and sincere congratulations from me to all entrants who have submitted their maps. I basically had fun with all maps (ok, one wasn't my style, but I won't hold that against the author :) ) but worse even, most maps actually surprised me, and worst of all they totally if not completely surpassed all my expectations.

As to the reviews - it is clear that different reviewers focus on different aspects but that makes it all the more interesting as it shows what clearly stands out (positive or negative).

Strangely enough (I wouldn't have expected this) LS222's Rise of USP is "critisised" for being a bit too difficult, whereas I thought it was too easy, and Sarevok's Phoenix Rising end fight raises no eyebrows, whereas I thought it was more than a trifle unfair. But that's Unreal for you, and some battle situations seem to be easier for me than for Uberserker, while other situations perfectly acceptable for less experienced player give me a headache. On the whole, I think the reviews cover the important aspects including the potential of the map (and the mapper).

The final positions probably won't surprise anybody, certainly with 2 map being clearly ahead of the others.
Waffnuffly won the contest with what is probably one the largest maps (at least one of the longest) and certainly the map with the loudest blast (although there is a horn somewhere which is probably more startling :lol: ).

Both VVV and TLF are premium quality maps and like I mentioned before, could have been stock Unreal material (in fact TLF is better than the ending of RTNP).

It's never fun to be considered last in a competition, and for some second place isn't even acceptable, but with this contest we've seen only winners. The reviews and the points given should give an indication where improvements can be made (luckily no map received a perfect 10) rather than what went wrong.

Looking back, it's been a pleasurable 6+ weeks, starting with the announcements, the development topics, the development screenshots and the subsequent playing of the maps.

I for one am looking forward to playing the compilation versions and hope that interest in U1 or UT mapping wil remain.

Damn so much text just to say:

CONGRATS TO THE CHAPS and
THANKS FOR THE MAPS

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 02:01

\o/

I'm totally exhausted by the past week (move-in week at work = working shitloads of hours, and then classes began yesterday, so I've been out getting books and stuff, and I'm having carpet cleaners come to my apartment tomorrow, so I have to take care of putting all my stuff into a couple of corners, and I was in the hospital on Friday in the morning with what I thought was going to be an appendicitis, but ended up being pretty much just really bad abdominal cramping that wound up self-resolving after a few hours in a hospital bed and some pain medication... etc). So, as a result of all that, I don't have a lot to say right now, but I'm really really flattered by the results.

I honestly thought Scrag's map was the best one here, but I'm proud of my work too. I put a shitload of effort into it (as I hope you all can tell) and really busted my ass for 6 weeks working tooth and nail against engine/time limits and other stuff, and I still tried my best to get the gameplay acceptable. I still have a lot of improvements to make to the gameplay and (hopefully) the geometric stability.

Anyway, all I really want from the prize pool is a custom title that says " >:E " without the quotes to match Chef Fucker's furious sneer, though the other offers are quite generous. Oh and maybe if possible change the Skaarj Elder icon to a miniature Chef face too. I haven't decided whether or not I want to (or can right now) make the hub map or whatever for the compilation, but I think I might do it. I have a good idea of how to make it and it shouldn't be too hard; I'm just extraordinarily busy this semester and I'm only two days into it; I'm also taking the hardest damn class I will probably ever take for my whole life, and it's a requirement for graduation for my major. Gonna be studying a LOT (don't expect much of anything EXU-related until January at the very very earliest).

Anyway, I also figure each mapper could make their own entryway for their own map as discussed earlier, and before that, there could be a sort of logo panel that shows the title/screenshot of the map and, perhaps, after you beat said map, you can see the score it earned pre-compilation and maybe read the review text from the judges or something via translator messages. I guess I can discuss this more in detail in the compilation thread and bounce ideas off of everyone else.

All in all though, this was good fun and I'm glad I didn't give out when I was tempted to. I hope to see you guys again next year or whenever we do another one of these. Great work to everyone!

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 03:10

My congrats to Waffnuffly...a truly amazing level my friend :tup:...and to all the entries. This contest spawned some interesting stuff and I only hope the momentum continues into the final linked pack 8)
Old as Dirt

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 11:57

Woohoo 7 is my favourite number 8)

I'm honestly not surprised by the results, bar a of the places that some entries got (I was hoping for 10th place :( [JOKING]).

As said already, it has been a great 6 weeks & I hope you do this again for your 9th anniversary. Or 8 1/2 anniversary. Or next week!!! :P :tup:

Well done Waffnuffly, You put truckloads of work into this & the result can barely be complained at. :wink:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 15:01

Congrats to everyone. Especially you, Waff!
Oh yeah, I think I pretty nailed the countdown D:
ImageImage

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 16:28

Congrats Waff.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 17:22

Hehe, I'm the only one with an exact score (3, not 3.25 or 3.33 or whatever)!

Er, hang on! Super spamtastic skaarj popper parachute guy (or whatever you called it :B :P ) also got an exact score......

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 19:52

Congratularions Waffnuffly! Keep it up!

Super spamtastic skaarj popper parachute guy (or whatever you called it >

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 20:13

Waff, you're welcome to your bespoke status, but I'm not sure I can oblige you on the miniature chef face - wouldn't it duplicate your avatar anyway? You're welcome to choose one of the following, though, or to have no image at all:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Unfortunately the following are already in use:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 20:37

I like the tentacle best, but hey.. Waff is the winner, so why not let him use the chef's face?.. it's a custom unreal skin after all...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 20:41

I assume Waff meant the cartoon version with the giant chef's hat, which won't exactly scale down well to that size...!

Next