Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

CONTEST RESULTS NOW AVAILABLE!

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 19:22

I was the runner-up, but it's one project that I could do without. Next in line are qtit, Kaka and Sarevok, but I can't imagine any of them being that keen to do it (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have a feeling this may require further discussion...
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 19:41

a simple hub map can't be that hard to make, so I'd volunteer for the mapping should nobody else want to. though obviously I cannot provide the fancy scripting-related features that have been discussed, I'd need some additional help with that
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 19:45

sana wrote:a simple hub map can't be that hard to make, so I'd volunteer for the mapping should nobody else want to. though obviously I cannot provide the fancy scripting-related features that have been discussed, I'd need some additional help with that

I don't think we necessarily need that much scripting, if indeed the map isn't going to block off maps that have already been completed. The inventory killer trigger should deal with most of it. However, the matter of certain maps requiring custom gametypes is more tricky. Some form of gametype switching teleporter may be required (is that even possible?).

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 19:47

It really might be more logistically sensible to just include them in a rar and not have a hub map. It's not necessary, after all, and is just a fancy additive. Personally, I wouldn't mind that; I would probably just want to make an Oldskool map entry so people don't have to use the Custom Maps dropdown to access it. We could probably make a single .int file for all the Oldskool maps, and then have the others include whatever instructions are necessary.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 19:49

Hellscrag wrote:I was the runner-up, but it's one project that I could do without. Next in line are qtit, Kaka and Sarevok, but I can't imagine any of them being that keen to do it (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have a feeling this may require further discussion...

Me! Me! Pick me!!! I can do it!!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 19:53

Do it!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 20:05

If you would like to do it, qtit, then that would be great (sorry sana, qtit has the rightful claim!).

Waffnuffly - One problem with the Oldskool map pack list is that there's a finite number of entries you can IIRC. That would, IMO, lend credence to our contest maps being released with a "Hub" map so that they can have a single entry.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 20:08

Hellscrag wrote:However, the matter of certain maps requiring custom gametypes is more tricky. Some form of gametype switching teleporter may be required (is that even possible?).

it's not really necessary

teleporter URL: MAPNAME?game=PACKAGE.GAMETYPE#something?peer

and darn you! there goes my unrealSP cyberspace concept
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 21:19

That works? I wish I'd known that before I hacked a gametype horribly for Deja Vu...

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 21:45

yes, tested it.
DM-Hyperblast.unr?game=Botpack.Deathmatchplus#something?peer

works. Single player > Deathmatch :B
Should also work with Mutators?

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009, 21:56

>:E

:lol:

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009, 01:55

Creavion wrote:yes, tested it.
DM-Hyperblast.unr?game=Botpack.Deathmatchplus#something?peer

works. Single player > Deathmatch :B
Should also work with Mutators?

Weee!!! Cool. Problem solved.

If I may... I've got a strange museum map concept... Gonna post testmap soon, so ya'll see if it's worth giving it a more serious shot.

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009, 03:05

sana wrote:R2L got a solid, fair score, however I hope that the judges didn't actually think this was the extent of my mapping abilities.

sana..not at all..I stand behind the last sentence of my review:

"This outing doesn't pretend greatness but indeed shows us a person with adequate potential for improved future releases."

You've definitely got the skillz :tup:
Old as Dirt

User avatar GreenWorld
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009, 04:40

I'd have joined this, were it not for my terrible ineptness with deadlines.

At least it brought some good stuff, and even served as a springboard for large-scale project ideas like ISV-DragonFly although I'm still holding my greater "To be released in the next months" expectations for TCO, Firestorm and the remake of Project Xenome.

As for me and UnrealED, I'm a FPS gamer, and the more I think of it, the more I realize that I'm inept for mapping, regardless of how many ideas for level design I may get. The only custom thing I ever managed to build "somewhat" complete was a mappack/quest for a Diablo 1 3d clone that was never released, which was purely built from prefabs ala "The Sims".

PS: Or maybe I'm just lazy. I thought I was a total hack with photoshop before I began practicing with it due to "Rainy Sunday" grade boredom.
Resident Lurker

Current name picked for planned Vaporware map:

Broken Dreams

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009, 05:47

Ah haha...10th place lol. I beat you all! Double digits ftw :P

Congrats on winning Waff...but I was rooting for Qtit honestly. IMO I thought his was the best and most original out of everybody's. I look forward to that hub map Qtit...I just wish this didn't have to be for UT only. :rolleyes:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Previous Next