ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Okay.... so about that compilation release...

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, zYnthetic, ividyon

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1014
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:23

Subject: Okay.... so about that compilation release...

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 06:21

not trying to target anyone in particular with this thread... but I thought a separate topic was needed for this issue. It has been a significantly long time from the end of the contest and I would like to replay those maps in their final forms. Is everyone waiting on qtit's hub map? Do people need more time to finalize their contest entries? Hopefully people can work together on this one and get this thing out by the end of the month. :/ :tup:

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4104
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 14:58

What's the rush? People are busy with real life and stuff. Do you really NEED to play these maps by the end of the month?

It'll be done when it's done.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1014
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:23

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 21:33

I don't understand what is the holdup. It shouldn't have taken longer than the actual competition to release this...... Hell, if everyone sent me their final maps.. I could release this within a days time.

I REALLY don't think you can blame RL issues on this one. All this should include is one simple (yet effective) hub-map and some minor tweaking to the maps. How does RL issues affect that at all?

I have my own personal deadlines (some of which are important and some of which are not), but I always make sure to get the important stuff done way before the deadline. An example would be a Programming project given to me by my college. We usually have approximately 1-2 weeks to completely finish the project and I usually start working the first day. I usually stress over it the first few days and get it done and wait for the end of the deadline to add code comments ect.

This way, I get the project done early and don't have to worry about it until the next project. This gives me time to do stuff in UnrealEd and play games like Fallout 3 that I recently bought. That is how I function at least. I hope I can keep that process going forever.. I've become pretty keen to these kind of transitions.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader
Posts: 2886
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 23:30
Location: Long Island, New York

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 21:46

I can understand the hold up, given the fact that bug-fixing can be unpredictable. Besides, some people like Qtit are focusing more on expanding their own projects. If you want this done quicker, get someone who isn't dealing with other maps to complete the HUB. Besides, aren't all these maps available for download atm anyway? It's not like anyone is being deprived of playing them.
Image

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1239
Joined: 24 Dec 2007, 17:40
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 21:47

How many maps have you made? Were they good maps? Really, there are some good, no, great reasons why someone would take their time and bug fix a map if they want it to last in the community. People take their time on maps when there are expectations to uphold. Making a map in 6 weeks can produce a good map, but if it's good, its bugs are going to be much more important. I can understand why you would want this now, but if it hasn't come out now and they say it will come out later, then chances are, it will. Just wait; find something else to do until they complete their work. It will be here, I promise.

Edit: I made this post before I saw Prophets. Sorry.
Image
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1014
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:23

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 21:51

Well, I guess peoples expectations begin to run higher the longer it takes for a project (such as this one) to release, and personally I'm not expecting much. I just want to be able to replay all the maps using that HUB system that will be implemented without me having to go load up each one separately and replay them. I am generous in accepting the fact that peoples maps (particularly Kaka) need more tweaking and bug fixing for the final version. If that is the case, I can wait as long as it takes for this to come out. I'd just like to know WHAT is the actual holdup... are his and others maps done? Noone seems to want to speak on the progress of the whole thing. If everyone is waiting on the HUB map.. I think that is a shame obviously. I don't think that is the case though, but I could be wrong.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4104
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 22:07

My map is basically done; I don't know about anyone else's. Q is working on the hub when he can, but otherwise has said he's been really busy.

It's pretty arrogant of you to claim that real life shouldn't be a factor in this, though. I don't care how small you think the task is; if more important things are affecting people, I would fully expect them to put anything mapping-related on the backburner, no matter how quickly it seems like they could complete them.

Besides, no one is under any sort of obligation to complete this in any sort of timeframe whatsoever. People who worked on these maps did so because they wanted to, not because you asked them to. So please, quit your bitching, will you? Give the people who are working on their stuff a break, sheesh.

jackrabbit wrote:If everyone is waiting on the HUB map.. I think that is a shame obviously.

The only thing shameful here is your attitude and the way you choose to express yourself.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1760
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 21:54
Location: on the prowl

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 22:10

jackrabbit wrote:Well, I guess peoples expectations begin to run higher the longer it takes for a project (such as this one) to release, and personally I'm not expecting much.

The more people involved, the more difficult it is to set realistic deadlines.
I also hoped for a release by now (I asked about an update on matters a month or longer ago without reply) but I prefer waiting for a final release rather than having things rushed.

And RL is a lot more unpredictable than anything Unreal related so don't focus on any particular date.

although: january 1st would be nice :wink:

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk
Posts: 2135
Joined: 13 Nov 2007, 20:01

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 22:26

jackrabbit wrote:I REALLY don't think you can blame RL issues on this one.


Contest time = summer time. Lot of free time.

Now = MA Thesis, 5th and the last year of freaking weekend studies, full time job, two projects going, 5 hours by train to my girl...

Should I contunue? Please, have patience...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3967
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009, 22:44

Personally I haven't worked on VVV at all since the contest, but then it only needs minor tweaking. I was waiting for the Hub map to take shape before I picked it up again.

As Proph said, the maps are all available to download anyway... some more finished than others. Anyone could cobble together a basic Hub map, but qtit started on something much more imaginative, and I think we should respect that he needs more time to finish it.

There's no great conspiracy of silence at work here.
Image
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1468
Joined: 15 Mar 2009, 10:18
Location: England

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009, 10:38

I've done my tweaking as well. I know it's taking time, but with all these great maps that people put lots of effort into, it would be a shame to glue them together with a really poor hub map.

redeye
Banned Banned
Posts: 1393
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 06:55

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009, 05:27

qtit wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:I REALLY don't think you can blame RL issues on this one.


Contest time = summer time. Lot of free time.

Now = MA Thesis, 5th and the last year of freaking weekend studies, full time job, two projects going, 5 hours by train to my girl...

Should I contunue? Please, have patience...


Thats all ? excuses excuses. :D

Get two girlfriends, one close by, oh no wait,then you would have no time, eek.

I think I can wait, i never seen one map yet, but it would be pretty good using a hub and playing better versions of the levels.Mabye make a few maps or the whole hub map could be a maze or secret enterences.
Instead of the a-typical , see portal, walk in, the hub could be a sort of SP map on it's own.
Make the best maps more hidden, I am sure once everyone knows the secret entrances the fun is over, but for first time would be a good twist on things.

:tup:
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned
Posts: 1393
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 06:55

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009, 05:34

Waffnuffly wrote:My map is basically done; I don't know about anyone else's. Q is working on the hub when he can, but otherwise has said he's been really busy.

It's pretty arrogant of you to claim that real life shouldn't be a factor in this, though. I don't care how small you think the task is; if more important things are affecting people, I would fully expect them to put anything mapping-related on the backburner, no matter how quickly it seems like they could complete them.

Besides, no one is under any sort of obligation to complete this in any sort of timeframe whatsoever. People who worked on these maps did so because they wanted to, not because you asked them to. So please, quit your bitching, will you? Give the people who are working on their stuff a break, sheesh.

jackrabbit wrote:If everyone is waiting on the HUB map.. I think that is a shame obviously.

The only thing shameful here is your attitude and the way you choose to express yourself.


Geeez, he is just trying to get the status and wanting to know why and some timeframe, damn man lighten up.
Just ban everyone

redeye
Banned Banned
Posts: 1393
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 06:55

Subject: Re: Okay.... so about that compilation release...

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009, 05:46

jackrabbit wrote:not trying to target anyone in particular with this thread... but I thought a separate topic was needed for this issue. It has been a significantly long time from the end of the contest and I would like to replay those maps in their final forms. Is everyone waiting on qtit's hub map? Do people need more time to finalize their contest entries? Hopefully people can work together on this one and get this thing out by the end of the month. :/ :tup:


The thing is, when things take a real long time to do, and this is no Crysis new game off the shelf, the "project" gets lost in the shuffle.
The longer it takes and considering all different authors, I hope it peeks our interest enough to be finished, if ever.

I was one who wanted everything realesed as a whole pack, but the hub idea made it even more enticing to download.
You asked nor said nothing wrong here, you have every good intention of asking about the status, but they shoot you down like a rabid dog.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3967
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject: Re: Okay.... so about that compilation release...

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009, 13:13

redeye wrote:You asked nor said nothing wrong here, you have every good intention of asking about the status, but they shoot you down like a rabid dog.


Do you mind? This was a minor spat that took place weeks ago, so why dredge it up? I also don't appreciate your glib generalisations!
Image

Life is what you make of it.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest