A random sentence for a random mind.

Wait for the hub map or release as a compilation?

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Wait for the hub map or release as a compilation?

Wait for the hub map
24%
Release as a compilation
76%

Total votes: 17

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 22:50

Legendslayer222 wrote:I wouldn't mind the hub if it can be whipped up, but I know Qtit is busy making other stuff. Why don't you just nick part of Vortex Rikers, and turn the cells into portals? :wink:

We have the aforementioned coding issue, and all of the maps would need to be tweaked to return the player to the hub. Otherwise I'd do it myself...
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 23:06

I have noooo idea how to change an arena-type 5 second effort into something that has an ending. :P I'm gonna have to use my UnrealScript connections and have them research a way to teleport the player upon death...
Also I suppose there is no point in l33tifying/entirely changing the gameplay/visuals for the compilation, since then it would no longer be the initial release (= point of 5 hour release becomes moot)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 23:50

sana wrote:I have noooo idea how to change an arena-type 5 second effort into something that has an ending. :P I'm gonna have to use my UnrealScript connections and have them research a way to teleport the player upon death...
Also I suppose there is no point in l33tifying/entirely changing the gameplay/visuals for the compilation, since then it would no longer be the initial release (= point of 5 hour release becomes moot)

There's no need for a massive overhaul. If we were to go for a hub format, I'd assumed that your map might have something like a time limit (so that an exit opened if you survived for long enough), but it looks like even that won't be necessary, as we're probably going for a plain compilation release.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010, 00:40

Waffnuffly wrote:I'm mostly done tweaking TLF. I made the chain more visible and added some more gameplay junk. All I need to do is tweak the boss for various difficulties and it's pretty much set.

More gameplay junk? I don't even want to hear/read another word. Surprise me (as you did before) - I can't wait to take that long dive again, this time with a double somersault and backflip.

Seriously - didn't Legenslayer (if I am confusing with somebody else please forgive me, it's late, I had some diluted ethanol and I should be in bed) have some kind of listing system? Wouldn't it be possible to make a special list containing only the contest maps and starting it up with a batch file so that it starts up UT with only the compilation maps listed.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010, 01:55

salsaSkaarj wrote:More gameplay junk? I don't even want to hear/read another word. Surprise me (as you did before) - I can't wait to take that long dive again, this time with a double somersault and backflip.

:lol: Don't get too excited; I just added some extra Skaarj and beefed up a few others on the tower.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010, 16:48

Waffnuffly wrote:...
:lol: Don't get too excited; I just added some extra Skaarj and beefed up a few others on the tower.

Not the Warlord chap I hope :shock:

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010, 17:30

No, that guy is getting a lot of adjustments, and a lot of debuffs for lower difficulties.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010, 18:49

ATM I am unable to create anything connected with both, Hub map and my submission.

I know I said I'll make the Hub map, and obviously I failed.

Thus I am sorry, and I need to apologize you guys.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010, 19:36

qtit wrote:ATM I am unable to create anything connected with both, Hub map and my submission.

I know I said I'll make the Hub map, and obviously I failed.

Thus I am sorry, and I need to apologize you guys.

It doesn't matter. Are you happy for us to release your maps as originally submitted?

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010, 19:37

qtit wrote:I know I said I'll make the Hub map, and obviously I failed.

Hey, nobody else could even be bothered to try making one.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010, 07:48

Hellscrag wrote:Are you happy for us to release your maps as originally submitted?

I think it's not a good idea, they are too bugged and stuff...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010, 19:00

qtit wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:Are you happy for us to release your maps as originally submitted?

I think it's not a good idea, they are too bugged and stuff...

Well, it was one of the leading releases in the contest. I don't think the bugs were serious, and we could add a disclaimer to the readme. I'd prefer to have a better reason for not including them than "they're a bit buggy"...

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010, 21:17

My thoughts:

Since we can forget about a hub map and since a compilation release seems to be the current objective and since it concerns the released maps, I would go for releasing all maps in one package at the same time.

This would imply setting a deadline not too far in the future so that the mapauthors can do their stuff, and those who (for whichever reason) can't make it are forgiven. I take it that there will be release notes for each map and the compilation itself will have a readme in which some history of the contest is exposed.

So, I agree with Hellscrag that the "bugs" in qtit's map don't jeopardise its inclusion. I would prefer a compilation of all released maps, rather than a selection. (In 50 years time when the world speaks about the compilation, they won't mention the maps not included :P )

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010, 21:54

Haha

Back when we were running the contest, I asked all mappers to do a commentary for their entries. IIRC, Sarevok was the only entrant not to write one. So when we release the compilation, we can add that to the package - along, possibly, with a Word or HTML version of the results article currently on the web page.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010, 09:07

Hellscrag wrote:along, possibly, with a Word or HTML version of the results article currently on the web page.

PDF.

Ok then, I'll try to find an hour or so to eliminate the ScriptWarning log shiet, and it can be released.

Previous Next