This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Wait for the hub map or release as a compilation?

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Wait for the hub map or release as a compilation?

Wait for the hub map
24%
Release as a compilation
76%

Total votes: 17

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Wait for the hub map or release as a compilation?

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 18:51

Ok, so the hub map doesn't appear to be progressing.

With Kaka and LS222 uploading their fixed maps this week, should we continue to wait for a sophisticated hub map, or should we release as a simple compilation of individual maps?

I would be interested to hear any updates from qtit on the hub map issue.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 19:19

I went with "release as a compilation", there's always the chance a hub-map patch can be made sometime later (or what about a bare-bones hub for now?)

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 19:27

The obvious choice. Could have gone with that one two months ago :?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 19:29

Mman wrote:I went with "release as a compilation", there's always the chance a hub-map patch can be made sometime later (or what about a bare-bones hub for now?)

I did wonder about that, but it might also need some code to address maps with bespoke gametypes, if it's designed to run under Oldskool. I'd be happy to put together a very basic hub map. Does anybody have any suggestions on the coding issue?

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 19:34

Hellscrag wrote:
Mman wrote:I went with "release as a compilation", there's always the chance a hub-map patch can be made sometime later (or what about a bare-bones hub for now?)

I did wonder about that, but it might also need some code to address maps with bespoke gametypes, if it's designed to run under Oldskool. I'd be happy to put together a very basic hub map. Does anybody have any suggestions on the coding issue?

No, but I have a suggestion for the hub map (this is one I thought of):

Make a System Shock cyberspace like area (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZMxxZSBOXw) and have the player swimming in a waterzone to reach the cyber-rings that travel to someones project.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 19:47

A compilation has always been more technically feasible than a hub, too, not to mention way easier.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 20:01

Either way, we're not talking about an instantaneous release here. We need everybody to make any changes they wish to make to the maps. Sarevok might be particularly hard to engage, and sana and qtit may be reluctant to make any changes (but those projects don't need a lot of changes if we're going for a straight compilation rather than a hub).

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 20:07

I say release the maps as a compilation and release the hub map later. I don't think the hub map is as important either...and why does it require any coding? I thought we were just make teleporters to each individual map pack anyway...what coding does that need...every map has a different game type that it depends on...don't go breaking that to make it Oldskool...no point in that.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 20:15

At the least a hub would need something to reset equipment when starting (or would a VRikers gametype + a few healthpacks simulate that?). Plus the one or two endless/to death maps would need some modification to get an exit (as opposed to other maps that just need a teleporter change), or code to send you back to the hub after death.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 20:17

I thought either like people would have to open the hub themselves, or maybe something could be coded into the menu under Mod to select and open the Hub map...
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 21:47

Oh well, seeing as the hub is taking way longer than (most of us) expected) I too voted for release as a compilation. A release in this form is probably also the death of the proposed hub :rolleyes:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Wait for the hub map or release as a compilation?

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 22:33

Hellscrag wrote:Ok, so the hub map doesn't appear to be progressing.

So, I choose having a compilation as well. I don't see the reason to have anything else special anymore by this point.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 22:37

Shivaxi - Well, the idea was that every map would link back to the hub. The hub would be the starting point in Oldskool, grouping the maps into a single mod. We had an inventory killer trigger that would take care of the surplus items. Where the gametype concern comes in is in making sure that Oldskool doesn't override maps' default gametypes - not the other way round.

Anyway... Looks like we're moving towards a compilation release. In that case, the only maps that I think need significant fixing are Sarevok's and Kaka's. IIRC, Waff was going to make a couple of tweaks to The Last Fortress to make the first chain more visible, and I had the tiniest gameplay tweaks to make to VVV.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 22:42

Woohoo, I started an uprising! I've always wanted to do that!
\o/ \o/ \o/

Ok, I say release as a compilation. Before I updated my thread, it saw that no one had touched the contest's forum section for at least 2 months. :shock:

I wouldn't mind the hub if it can be whipped up, but I know Qtit is busy making other stuff. Why don't you just nick part of Vortex Rikers, and turn the cells into portals? :wink:

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010, 22:49

I'm mostly done tweaking TLF. I made the chain more visible and added some more gameplay junk. All I need to do is tweak the boss for various difficulties and it's pretty much set.

Next