This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

(Old) General Discussion Thread

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 745
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 09:43

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 20:01

Well the meshes are from UT2004, Unreal 2 and partly made for Kamah.. why do you ask?
So I am speaking of stuff which I mostly already used in Kamah.
If anybody else here want to use some stuff from my map, its ok

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 475
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 00:21
Location: Trójmiasto
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 20:21

Darn :P You people can't do any nice stuff with good old U1 engine :shake: Show some skillzzz.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 745
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 09:43

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 21:44

Kaka wrote:Darn :P You people can't do any nice stuff with good old U1 engine :shake: Show some skillzzz.

:? ? *its a good thing that I dont feel adressed*

BTW: Should we add monsters, weapons and pickups in the maps? Serious question because of the order of the maps. Imagine in Map 1 you can get a rocket launcher whil you can get in map 2 the automag.
I mean .. should we do that at the beginning or should those stuff added later?

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin
Posts: 106
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 23:16

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 21:50

Hellscrag wrote:
Creavion wrote:Platform
This means we have to map with UnrealEd 1? (even if it can be patched with 227f)


Well, presumably yes, if you intend to map for Unreal. Under what circumstances would you be able to use UED2 for Unreal?


Oldunreal's 227 patch upgrades Unreal's editor to UED2.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 917
Joined: 16 Nov 2007, 15:05

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 21:54

@Creavion: I assume were just going to be building sandalone SP map packs. Worrying about getting a rocketlauncher in map 1 is only going to happen when and if we compile it into a big mappack.

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 745
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 09:43

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 22:02

gp wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:
Creavion wrote:Platform
This means we have to map with UnrealEd 1? (even if it can be patched with 227f)


Well, presumably yes, if you intend to map for Unreal. Under what circumstances would you be able to use UED2 for Unreal?


Oldunreal's 227 patch upgrades Unreal's editor to UED2.

I know that.. that was meant with the "even"

However.. Scrag!!!!! I wantz anzwerz!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4069
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 22:21

Frieza wrote:@Creavion: I assume were just going to be building sandalone SP map packs. Worrying about getting a rocketlauncher in map 1 is only going to happen when and if we compile it into a big mappack.

This. I don't want to make something that turns into a half-assed Deja Vu 2. That at least had some degree of planning and oversight. We should instead all focus on each making the best possible single SP map in a 6-week span and then put them all together into one pack, but not necessarily one campaign. Just like an "UnrealSP.org Anniversary Level Collection" or something, not a contiguous map pack.

[Edit] And why do you guys want to worry about fancy stuff like special meshes or particle systems? You only have 6 weeks. Why not just focus on level design first and foremost and add little bits like that if you find time? Focus more on making good, solid maps with good, solid gameplay instead of special effects. Pretend it's 1999 again and we don't have all these fancy features to use (except for RMusicPlayer; there's no way using that takes up extra time or space :p).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3965
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 22:37

Creavion wrote:Well the meshes are from UT2004, Unreal 2 and partly made for Kamah.. why do you ask?
So I am speaking of stuff which I mostly already used in Kamah.
If anybody else here want to use some stuff from my map, its ok


That sounds like too much extra stuff to me. Any meshes you use that you haven't made yourself for the contest should be available to all of the entrants to use (preferably linked from the thread opening the competition), and IMO you should limit yourself to one .u file only. I have my doubts about even allowing that.

Creavion wrote:BTW: Should we add monsters, weapons and pickups in the maps? Serious question because of the order of the maps. Imagine in Map 1 you can get a rocket launcher whil you can get in map 2 the automag.
I mean .. should we do that at the beginning or should those stuff added later?


You are making standalone maps. They won't be put into a single map pack until later (if at all). Therefore yes, you should implement a full gameplay model.

Kaka wrote:Darn :P You people can't do any nice stuff with good old U1 engine :shake: Show some skillzzz.


Waffnuffly wrote:
Frieza wrote:@Creavion: I assume were just going to be building sandalone SP map packs. Worrying about getting a rocketlauncher in map 1 is only going to happen when and if we compile it into a big mappack.

This. I don't want to make something that turns into a half-assed Deja Vu 2. That at least had some degree of planning and oversight. We should instead all focus on each making the best possible single SP map in a 6-week span and then put them all together into one pack, but not necessarily one campaign. Just like an "UnrealSP.org Anniversary Level Collection" or something, not a contiguous map pack.

[Edit] And why do you guys want to worry about fancy stuff like special meshes or particle systems? You only have 6 weeks. Why not just focus on level design first and foremost and add little bits like that if you find time? Focus more on making good, solid maps with good, solid gameplay instead of special effects. Pretend it's 1999 again and we don't have all these fancy features to use (except for RMusicPlayer; there's no way using that takes up extra time or space :p).



These guys know what I'm talking about. I don't mean to decry all of the wonderful stuff that has been added to the engine in recent years, but this is a mapping contest - not a contest for the best engine mods.

I have my doubts about using RMusicPlayer, however... it's an engine mod like any other, and that's not what this competition is about... but I don't feel too strongly about it. As with other custom content, custom music should really be of your own creation.
Image
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3965
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 22:42

UBerserker wrote:Can't wait to criticize all of your stuff when it'll be done.


Are you putting yourself forward as a judge?
Image

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader
Posts: 2876
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 23:30
Location: Long Island, New York

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 23:39

So the map can't be made with its intention to be a contained level with its own story and resolution?
Image

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4069
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 23:42

Mister_Prophet wrote:So the map can't be made with its intention to be a contained level with its own story and resolution?

Wait, no, you've got it backwards -- a self-contained map with its own story and resolution is exactly what we want, and done in a classic Unreal style.

I'm actually starting to agree that we shouldn't use ANY custom content (except for a few things here and there) -- after all, this is for the anniversary of a site dedicated to Unreal, so shouldn't we try to emulate the Unreal SP classic style? Stuff like Shrakith'a, Illhaven, etc. We should be going for that kind of thing, in my opinion.

I'm not going to use any custom stuff for this. I have a pretty good map idea now, too.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member
Posts: 1987
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 02:43
Location: UK
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 23:54

I was also thinking from the start that this might be better as a "vanilla Unreal/UT stuff only" but I'm pretty indifferent to having that rule overall; I'm thinking more in terms of communities of older games with WAD type files (that do "vanilla only" challenges a lot), where gameplay and atmosphere can fundamentally changed due to certain limits in specific WADs etc. In Unreal there are few limits beyond visual ones so the difference is less extreme (although there still would be one).

I do think "no custom code" may be good rule regardless though.

I might see if I can try, I do have a level idea that would be quite economic in terms of overall layout...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3965
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 00:53

Where has all this "maps must not be self-contained" stuff come from? It's like a sickness that has permeated this thread and now can't be got rid of.
Image

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1014
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:23

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 01:00

i'm just going to make a map and send it. fuck it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4069
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009, 01:01

  • Map MUST be self-contained and stand alone
  • Map must NOT use custom code or other content
  • Map may use a few custom textures or scripts in MyLevel, but only if necessary and there's a good reason

I don't know how we got so far off this :lol:


Aaaaanyway those are just guidelines, after all. I just want to see some maps get cranked out moreso than see them conform to a set of rules. But maybe to compensate, only maps that conform to the rules are eligible for inclusion in the map compilation package or something.

Previous Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests