UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

(Old) General Discussion Thread

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 18:18

Some draft rules, for discussion. These may be subject to change prior to the start of the contest, as and when additional thoughts occur to me and depending on what the rest of you think of them.

UnrealSP.Org Eighth Anniversary Speedmapping Competition

Basic Rules

All maps must be built from scratch within the six week period of the contest. While we would like to let you use an existing incomplete map as a base, it wouldn't be fair on the other contestants. However, if your existing incomplete map only consists of a couple of rooms, then it is probably acceptable - please discuss with the judges and the other entrants before proceeding.

Please do not start building the map before the contest officially commences. (Although planning / sketching / brainstorming ideas is acceptable).

All maps must be playable single player maps using stock Unreal / UT pawns and weapons. The map should have a beginning, a middle and an end. It shouldn't just "stop" without an exit teleporter or other obvious ending.

There is no other restriction on the storyline. Meaning that maps do not have to be set on Na Pali.

Platform

All submissions must be compatible with Unreal 226f or UT 436 / Oldskool. This is so that everybody can have a level playing field.

Use of Prefabs

Limited use of decorative prefabs is acceptable. However, please limit it to prefabs of your own design and prefabs from stock Unreal / UT maps.

Importing Custom Content

Do not use existing custom code. This is, again, in the interests of fairness as this is primarily a mapping competition. Focus on using the tools that Unreal / UT / Oldskool provide you with to create your map. The following exceptions, however, are acceptable:
  • UMS
  • Firefly script
Do not overload your submission with other existing custom content. Including a custom texture set or music file that has been widely used in SP mapping is fine, but don't create a massive zip / rar file containing ten different texture, music and sound packages. Keep it simple.

New code, textures, sound and music created specifically for the contest are acceptable. (Within reason - again, don't overdo it.)

Submission Agreement

Entrants should be willing, if the contest produces a sufficient quality and quantity of work, for their maps to be compiled into a larger map pack or compilation distributed by UnrealSP.Org.

Assessment

Maps will be assessed by a panel of judges and given a score out of 10, and the map that receives the highest average score will be the winner. I don't intend to undertake a full and detailed assessment against the UnrealSP.Org review schema; however, the criteria listed on the schema will act as broad determinants of quality. Judges will not be barred from submitting maps to the contest, as their submissions can be assessed by the other judges on the panel.

The Prize

Erm... kudos? I would welcome suggestions. At present, I can't think of anything in particular, except possibly for:
  • An UnrealSP.Org e-mail address; or
  • The opportunity to lead on compiling all of the submissions into a map pack.

(Now welcoming any volunteers to be judges! Judges will need to be willing to play all of the submissions at the end of the contest and award them scores, feeding their scores back to me within a period of about two weeks of the close of the contest. I am happy to put myself forward as a judge.)
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 18:26

I think the restriction on custom textures should be thrown out of the window but otherwise the rules seem good to me :o

If the restriction is there to level the playing field I think the judges should and will be able to see through the new textures and just rate it for architecture and technical accomplishment. I just think that custom textures will be able to contribute to creating a new, fresh look that we haven't seen a lot (not to say it's a grounds to rate maps using stock textures lower than those that don't).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 18:30

Frieza wrote:I think the restriction on custom textures should be thrown out of the window but otherwise the rules seem good to me :o

If the restriction is there to level the playing field I think the judges should and will be able to see through the new textures and just rate it for architecture and technical accomplishment. I just think that custom textures will be able to contribute to creating a new, fresh look that we haven't seen a lot (not to say it's a grounds to rate maps using stock textures lower than those that don't).

Don't you think the following offers flexibility enough? Which part of it do you have a problem with - is it the limitation on the number of packages, or is it the "widely used in SP mapping" part?

Including a custom texture set or music file that has been widely used in SP mapping is fine, but don't create a massive zip / rar file containing ten different texture, music and sound packages. Keep it simple.

User avatar Frieza

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 18:43

The widely used in SP mapping part. Why limit ourselves to texture packs that we've seen a hundred times over? If someone wants to use new or relatively unknown textures there should be no rules against that.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 18:47

Frieza wrote:The widely used in SP mapping part. Why limit ourselves to texture packs that we've seen a hundred times over? If someone wants to use new or relatively unknown textures there should be no rules against that.

I think Scrag is just saying don't use 500mb of custom textures for a single map that takes 20 minutes to play.

[Edit] Regarding music, I think a reasonable amount of custom music should be permissible, but I also think we should be able to use Raven's RMusicPlayer for mp3/ogg/flac support, as custom music is much easier to include if we aren't limited to the standard mod formats. You also get much smaller files and higher quality audio that way.
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 13 Jun 2009, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 18:48

Frieza wrote:The widely used in SP mapping part. Why limit ourselves to texture packs that we've seen a hundred times over? If someone wants to use new or relatively unknown textures there should be no rules against that.

I think that's a fair point, and am happy to remove that part of the rule.

Waffnuffly wrote:I think Scrag is just saying don't use 500mb of custom textures for a single map that takes 20 minutes to play.

That's certainly the purpose of the limitation on numbers.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:04

Platform
This means we have to map with UnrealEd 1? (even if it can be patched with 227f)

Use of prefabs
You mean meshes? I really dont want to use those ugly unreal 1 plants.. sry^^ really not. Please allow custom plants

Importing Custom Content:
Do you accept the 15 MB package WOTNature from Wheel of time? I have already uploaded it.
Could we not complile a "spinner/predator" package or so?

Music
All Unreal / RTNP and Unreal Beta tracks allowed?

Levelstarts and Ends:
So we dont have to worry about "damn, I have made a mine exit" but the next map is starting in space...?

Map count:
We are limited to one map? (just ask in the case something could happen that I need 2 map files because of the node limit, I have to plan something like that from the beginning)

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:29

Maybe just put size limit of archived content? Let's say all stuff must be no bigger then 20MB in zip/rar archive. Anyway I'd also allow to use .:..: emitter. After all maps will be judged by gameplay - all other stuff (like particles) will be just add-on.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:35

No!! please not! :o

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:36

I'm in. I've been waiting for this kind of opportunity to show of my "never before seen" mapping skills for unreal. I hope this would turn into Deja Vu 2!!!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:38

Creavion wrote:Platform
This means we have to map with UnrealEd 1? (even if it can be patched with 227f)

Well, presumably yes, if you intend to map for Unreal. Under what circumstances would you be able to use UED2 for Unreal?

Creavion wrote:Use of prefabs
You mean meshes? I really dont want to use those ugly unreal 1 plants.. sry^^ really not. Please allow custom plants

I meant brushes. Custom plants are fine IF you build them for the competition.

Creavion wrote:Importing Custom Content:
Do you accept the 15 MB package WOTNature from Wheel of time? I have already uploaded it.
Could we not complile a "spinner/predator" package or so?

What is in WOTNature?

A Spinner / Predator package would be useful, if anyone can put one together before the start of the contest.

Creavion wrote:Music
All Unreal / RTNP and Unreal Beta tracks allowed?

Yes

Creavion wrote:Levelstarts and Ends:
So we dont have to worry about "damn, I have made a mine exit" but the next map is starting in space...?

There is no "next map". You are not building a map to run in any particular sequence. But it does need to end somehow.

Creavion wrote:Map count:
We are limited to one map? (just ask in the case something could happen that I need 2 map files because of the node limit, I have to plan something like that from the beginning)

If you can really build two maps in six weeks, go ahead.

Raven wrote:Maybe just put size limit of archived content? Let's say all stuff must be no bigger then 20MB in zip/rar archive. Anyway I'd also allow to use .:..: emitter. After all maps will be judged by gameplay - all other stuff (like particles) will be just add-on.

Size limit is an option.

A particle emitter is used to create special effects. I don't think it's necessary to create a good map.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:43

Just to add: If you DO create two maps and want them to be considered as one entry, they should be properly linked - including by build.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:43

1. What does it mean now? Is the UT ed now allowed for using or not? (for pack)

2. I demand an expection for meshes! I dont plant to make a hick jungle map as like with Kamah, I just want to use some less palms, farns etc.
It is just like that I dont want to use the Unreal 1 plants.

3. WOTNature: The Nature textures from Wheel of Time (take a look in the other thread, I already uploaded that stuff)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:50

Creavion wrote:1. What does it mean now? Is the UT ed now allowed for using or not? (for pack)

2. I demand an expection for meshes! I dont plant to make a hick jungle map as like with Kamah, I just want to use some less palms, farns etc.
It is just like that I dont want to use the Unreal 1 plants.

3. WOTNature: The Nature textures from Wheel of Time (take a look in the other thread, I already uploaded that stuff)

1. Yes, you can use UT & Oldskool

2. From where would you source these meshes?

3. From the way things are looking, this will probably be acceptable.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 19:54

Can't wait to criticize all of your stuff when it'll be done.
ImageImage

Previous Next