Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Contest Rules

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009, 12:53

redeye, don't you see how objectionable your attitude is? I, with the support of several others here, make the effort to organise something which will, hopefully, provide a bit of fun for the community as well as generating some new playable content. You choose not to participate (fair enough), but then you come along and weigh in with an incredibly negative attitude and accusations of elitism (citing no evidence at all).

Sometimes I don't know why we bother...
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009, 15:15

Are we allowed to get beta testers? It's just that I am not sure how an uber-veteran-suber-killing-spree-game-master (unlike myself :/ ) would react to the level.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009, 16:01

Redeye. Don't worry, be happy. You gonna be able to play several really well done maps. So... What's the case, actually? I don't get it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009, 17:03

Legendslayer222 wrote:Are we allowed to get beta testers? It's just that I am not sure how an uber-veteran-suber-killing-spree-game-master (unlike myself :/ ) would react to the level.

Beta testing is probably OK. If you like, you can do it via threads on this forum.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009, 18:14

redeye, you don't have to have to make a masterpiece to enter a contest. There's no standard of quality for maps really anymore; if you make it, people will play it. More experienced players/mappers might see how noobish it is, but that's still not going to be a huge deal if it's fun to play.

And that map I released a while back which took me only two days? Well, it's really small, there's no gameplay element, and it doesn't even have much of anything for the interior, let alone terrain outside the walkable areas. It was more of a test map. Now, if you feel daunted by that, remember that I've been mapping for like 10 years now and have this engine pretty much mastered. If you just started mapping recently, obviously you aren't going to make stuff like that right away, and that's ok. People are understanding of how hard it is to get good at mapping, because there's not a lot of people who stick with it this long. You either get addicted to it like I did, or you become a normal person and have a life ;)

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009, 23:27

Waffnuffly wrote:redeye, you don't have to have to make a masterpiece to enter a contest. There's no standard of quality for maps really anymore; if you make it, people will play it. More experienced players/mappers might see how noobish it is, but that's still not going to be a huge deal if it's fun to play.

And that map I released a while back which took me only two days? Well, it's really small, there's no gameplay element, and it doesn't even have much of anything for the interior, let alone terrain outside the walkable areas. It was more of a test map. Now, if you feel daunted by that, remember that I've been mapping for like 10 years now and have this engine pretty much mastered. If you just started mapping recently, obviously you aren't going to make stuff like that right away, and that's ok. People are understanding of how hard it is to get good at mapping, because there's not a lot of people who stick with it this long. You either get addicted to it like I did, or you become a normal person and have a life ;)

@Scrag, no no no, It is very good to have the mapping keep coming.
But when I play these things, yours,Prophs, spatial fear, Nali Chronicles, and others, I feel so out-gunned I can't imagine how frigging awesome even a 6 week map will be.

I do have an idea as of last night, might be good. Sorry, don't really mean to be a drag.

I guess what I mean is, how maps could be judged, how important is it for a story line, or looks, or game-play, any judges taking bribes ? :wink:

I will try something, if it gets to hectic to do, It won't be done in time.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009, 23:52

redeye wrote:@Scrag, no no no, It is very good to have the mapping keep coming.
But when I play these things, yours,Prophs, spatial fear, Nali Chronicles, and others, I feel so out-gunned I can't imagine how frigging awesome even a 6 week map will be.

I do have an idea as of last night, might be good. Sorry, don't really mean to be a drag.

Thanks for that redeye. If in doubt, the best thing to do is give it a go.

redeye wrote:I guess what I mean is, how maps could be judged, how important is it for a story line, or looks, or game-play, any judges taking bribes ? :wink:

All of the above, except for the bribes. :P

redeye wrote:I will try something, if it gets to hectic to do, It won't be done in time.

I'll put you on the list. 4 weeks to go... don't be too ambitious given the time (keep it short).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009, 17:58

Waffnuffly wrote:... You either get addicted to it like I did, or you become a normal person and have a life ;)

Are you in any way implying that I am not normal? :B :shock: At least I don't map :? Retarded, moi? probably yes, still playing a ten year old game (or is it 11).

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 20:16

salsaSkaarj wrote:still playing a ten year old game (or is it 11).

recently had it's 11th. (ELDERLY!! :P )

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009, 10:42

Each mapper starts a thread containing information about their entry. This can either be done in advance, or when the map is finally completed. "Final" downloads must be made available in the first post of the thread by the close of the contest on Sunday 2nd August 2009.

Does it close on midnight at the start of the 2nd or at the very end of the 2nd?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009, 11:47

Please check the "Submission, Judging & Prizes" thread for the answer to that.

Previous