Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Custom content being used by contestants

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:18

Hellscrag wrote:Why are you calling me names now? In jest or otherwise, it's pointless as I actually agreed yesterday to what you were asking for.

It was a joke in line with sana's post.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:19

My map will be using Raven's Particle Emitter

Link: http://turniej.unreal.pl/files/RParticles.zip

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:22

Mister_Prophet wrote:My map will be using Raven's Particle Emitter

Link: http://turniej.unreal.pl/files/RParticles.zip

Sorry Prophet, that's a visual enhancement / engine mod and is not acceptable within the rules. IMO, nor is it necessary to create a good map. Please could you try to manage without it?
Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:26

Technically it's just a script, and one that's no more complex than some of the others being allowed. I kind of need it, as there are instances in my level where smoke gens betray my level design rather than enhance it...whereas with the emitter the integrity of my atmosphere is less compromised.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:30

Mister_Prophet wrote:Technically it's just a script, and one that's no more complex than some of the others being allowed. I kind of need it, as there are instances in my level where smoke gens betray my level design rather than enhance it...whereas with the emitter the integrity of my atmosphere is less compromised.

Hmmm... ok, if it's just a script. I remain concerned about introducing arbitrary visual enhancements into the engine for this contest, though, which is supposed to focus on mappers' level design skills above all else.

I'm also concerned that accepting stuff like this may open the floodgates - each time I accept something like this, it weakens the rules.

Are you creating your own effects using the emitter as a code base, or are you using a package of ready-made effects? I'd just like to be clear what I've agreed to.

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:40

Hellscrag wrote:
Hmmm... ok, if it's just a script. I remain concerned about introducing arbitrary visual enhancements into the engine for this contest, though, which is supposed to focus on mappers' level design skills above all else.

I'm also concerned that accepting stuff like this may open the floodgates - each time I accept something like this, it weakens the rules.

It's a script, yes.

I don't think it will be too much of an issue. As it stands, as an emitter it comes with its own drawbacks. You get better generations out of it, yes...but unlike the stock ones you have to use less in a given area, and I have to use it sparingly anyway. As with the music player, I don't think there is a fear of it being widely used by other people given the time left to toy around with it. I'm only resorting to it because I can't get the effect I want with Unreal's stock gens, and relying on them is distracting to the style I'm going for (I'm kind of taking a minimalist approach to my level). It will make sense when you see it, since I'm actually relying on the emitter to tone down the jarring effect I get with the stock gens.

Hellscrag wrote:Are you creating your own effects using the emitter as a code base, or are you using a package of ready-made effects? I'd just like to be clear what I've agreed to.

There will be a custom effect, yes, that uses the emitter code as a base. I'll tell you exactly what it is...it will be used for exhaust gases. I'm not using it for anything else besides that.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:45

Go ahead.

I remain slightly concerned as, aside from the compatibility issue associated with C++ mods (which doesn't apply here), the use of complex visual enhancement mods such as this that not everyone has had the opportunity to get to know was one of the things that the engine mods rule was designed to combat. Hopefully the requests for further engine mods won't escalate too much from here on in.

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:48

The script itself includes a bHighDetail option. That means of course, that it checks system specs and deletes the effect if the player can't handle it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009, 17:51

Although I understand (and agree with) Hellscrag's rules, I hope (and currently I have no reason to despair) he 'll be lenient enough to allow a couple of rulebenders.

The way I saw it, the Unreal Community was slowly dying out, but with this competition (and seeing very promising previews) this might be the boost needed for a renewed interest in U1 (and UT).

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 18:54

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=cf28 ... f6e8ebb871

Here are the 5 custom sounds I intend to use for the SK-6 rocket artillery cannon. 4 explosions from Company of Heroes and one launch (Earthshaker missile from Descent 2). They are already converted and ready to import into UT. If anyone wants the originals (the CoH ones are stereo), let me know.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 19:07

Thanks Waffnuffly. I too have used a custom sound effect that I have been keeping quiet about, as it's only used once in the map and I would have liked its use in my map to be a surprise. But you're making me think now that I should probably share it, with a (very minor) spoiler warning, as the surprise isn't really that important.

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 19:42

Don't worry about that. I have one other sound effect that would be a little bit spoilery for me to reveal too, and I highly doubt anyone else would get any use out of it. I also haven't decided how long it needs to be yet, so cutting it together won't take place until it's likely too late for anyone to even check it out and see if they could shoe-horn it into their own map.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 20:14

Sounds reasonable to me.

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009, 09:19

Uh, I'd also like to use my weapons from UT Tactics (Available for Dload in the general gameplay section) I also wanna use my ZacmanDecos pack (Dload in Content Creation)
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009, 17:47

You can't use stuff you created earlier that wasn't meant for the contest, though. Sorry.

Previous Next