A random sentence for a random mind.

The Last Fortress - FINAL Released!

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009, 11:59

Waffnuffly wrote:
Does anyone know of any more orangey sun textures? Also, I will probably increase the size of both suns to make them more prominent.

There's a David M one out there. I used it in DM-Imago. Although Waff, you could just take one of UT's crisp moon textures and apply some serious special lighting and translucency to it. Might actually work. But if you're more for a lens type of thing, my suggestion would be to take a white lens texture from Gen FX and apply some special lights to it.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009, 14:48

With the proper lighting, you could make one without any custom textures :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009, 23:18

If I have extra time I'll probably whip up something, but there's no real need, as the current ones still look passable at the very least. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 19:57

The clouds seem a tad too bright. Perhaps you could lower their brightness by about 15%?

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009, 20:01

I'll give it a shot and post comparisons!

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009, 01:14

Old:

New:

Not much different that you can see, but there is a pretty noticeable difference in-game. Also I don't want to spoil the areas that are most discernible.

[Edit] Awwww yeah. I'm reeeeeally close to done now, but definitely won't finish early! Still need to do a lot of testing and gameplay gauging, since there's a fucking TON of action in this map and not too much exploring (sorry guys, it's just my thing!). I also went and massively overhauled a lot of the lighting tonight (finally), so a lot of the map looks quite a bit different, but better! And I'm not going to release any more screenshots, as I want some of this to be a surprise :p

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009, 21:40

* * * MEGA GATDAM SPOILERS IN THIS VIDEO * * *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B796bZoCy7A

DON'T WATCH UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND RUINING THE WHOLE END OF THE MAP AND ALL

Anyway, I just had to share this because I'm so glad I had time to finish it today! Now I'm working on the boss fight. Soon... soooooon... this will all be over.... UGH

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009, 22:31

NIIIIICEEEE...

Hurry!

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 03:10

Waffnuffly left a small crater.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 03:12

Almost finished with this commentary. I'm being THOROUGH ok!

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 03:36

IT IS DONE

Here's a download link!

http://www.filefront.com/14182349/TheLastFortressV1.rar

Have at it and tear me/the map a new one with criticism please

Regrettable, the gameplay balance is pretty rough for all difficulties in the second half of the map, though the first half is pretty solid. Please let me know if you are super low on health/ammo/items in certain areas and what you need most where! I'll spend the time between this and the compilation release improving gameplay and adding coop support.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 05:04

I've entered the central fortress area (after the boardwalk thing) and killed everything that's a danger there, where do I go to get further?

Some general issues so far; I'm really pushed for time right now so I don't have much time for too much detail or positives (plus I want to finish the level first):

* I definitely get the feeling it's too much for most players; I've only been in real danger a couple of times but even playing on medium I feel slightly more out of my comfort zone than I'd expect from what I've played so far.
* I'm not sure what your intention with them was, but I get the feeling that the Skaarj that shoot at you from the windows along the sides of the boardwalk area are nastier than what was intended; the designs mean they're constantly in cover while still being able to pick away at you while you fight other stuff.
* By extension, there should be something to point out the windows to players; I was wondering where the hell I was getting shot at for a bit. Even if it's something small like a red light from one of the first windows; just something so people know that those pose a threat.
* The bit where you climb out of the water on a rope seemed kind of an odd difficulty spike; if you miss anything on the other side (or on the battlements) you can easily get raped by a bunch of stuff waiting up the top, not the mention the ladder mechanics mean you have to be looking up so you can't even snap-shot stuff while climbing.
* It seems like there should be more sniper ammo, while too much would trivialise the level, it would be nice to at least have enough to take out especially troublesome enemies at distance; pretty much all I've had so far was a little bit at the start and some off a sniper I was lucky enough to have jump down in the central area.
* I got stuck between a box and some stairs in the central are.
* Not really a flaw, but what's the point of that area between two fences behind one of the buildings in the central area that you access by climbing boxes and jumping on a slanted bit of brick? It seemed odd for such a seemingly esoteric action to not be rewarded when it's apparently intended (cue "that's the way further" :) ).

Well okay, let's do some quick positives too :P .

* The imposing fortress feel is pulled off well, and, while I wasn't sure on the use of mostly blue ambience with such I bright sky at first it has grown on me since the concept of the fortress being so big it blocks out most sunlight is pretty cool.
* The gameplay is definitely interestingly unique beyond the few flaws it has at the moment; it's certainly a change from the more generally "sedate" style of Unreal maps.

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 05:14

Thanks MMAN. Yeah gameplay is really rough right now, any feedback like this is useful. I didn't want to add too much sniper ammo since I thought it would make it too easy, but I guess adding a box near the start wouldn't overdo the sniping ability. The reason you only have a couple shells at first is so you can use it to spot enemies and then shoot their heads off with the Razorjack (oftentimes this is even more efficient than using a sniper shot).

Also, those window Skaarj ARE meant to be incredibly dangerous. They're there so you cautiously approach any given area, making sure you try to spot all the snipers first. They are very easy to kill, though, as I gave all of them 80 health instead of the default 140. This map isn't meant to be a run-and-gun map; you need to really use cover and try to watch for enemy defenders.

There are multiple ropes, too. I might add some more, though, in a few safer spots, but generally if you haven't secured an area and you fall in the water, it's better to swim back a bit to the previous one and climb up there. Also good idea to drop a seed near one if you are hurt.

Good idea about the light for the windows to get people used to them. I'll probably add some Skaarj info panel in one of them with a 1.0 OddsOfAppearing Stinger trooper so you always detect it and then get the idea that there will be more elsewhere.

And that slanted bit of brick isn't for the barred area. Look closer at the wall above that brick ;)

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 05:41

Waffnuffly wrote:The reason you only have a couple shells at first is so you can use it to spot enemies and then shoot their heads off with the Razorjack (oftentimes this is even more efficient than using a sniper shot).

Wait, you can do this? Wow, that changes a lot.

I'm still stuck on where to go though; all I found up that slanted brick place ladder was jumpboots I used to get a few items down the bottom and message that I guess is a hint about there being chains around, then again it's about four in the morning so I might be missing obvious stuff.

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009, 05:43

I just mean use the rifle's alt fire zoom to look around, then switch to the Razorjack/Eightball and fire. One single rocket will take out a sniper, too, assuming a direct hit; two good indirect hits will also do it.

Yeah, just keep searching behind big buildings and you'll start to notice stuff you can climb on. There's only one path to actually take once you're inside the central area, but once you find it, it's pretty straightforward.

I should probably add some inventory near "the" route, though, to make it easier to find.

Previous Next