Scout-kun is a lie... right?

The Last Fortress - FINAL Released!

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 15:07

I'm adding Skaarj Lord/Assassin patrols to the fortress upper levels, and I'm going to add some more attack sequences near the Skaarj bridge.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 15:08

MORE enemies? :shock:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 15:10

In the areas where I didn't add more to start with, yeah. Just a few more. You will be very well-equipped to handle them by that point anyway.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009, 15:10

Waffnuffly wrote:I'm adding Skaarj Lord/Assassin patrols to the fortress upper levels, and I'm going to add some more attack sequences near the Skaarj bridge.

Good choice. Those areas were like a walk in the park. Just do not add many patrols; few Skaarj Lords would be alright, with a strong new one appearing randomly (oddsofappearance ftw. It's probably the gameplay's best feature).
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009, 18:55

[Edit2] This doesn't seem to be happening anymore, so nevermind!

I seem to have a weird issue; the beams' textures at the end of the level appear to not be panning on my work PC, but at home the textures appear just fine (like they do in the demonstration video). I think this might have to do with underpowered work hardware (hopefully that's just the case), but if not, I'd like to know what's causing it.

Does anyone else here have non-panning beam textures? It would be obvious, as the GenFX gradient texture in the core of each beam would appear to not be moving, whereas in the video it obviously is moving very fast. If so, what are your system specs?

Demo for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B796bZoCy7A

You can see the black parts of the gradient moving away from the cannon, whereas if there is no texture panning, they just stay still. It's not a HUGE deal or anything (beam still looks cool regardless) but I want to figure out why it doesn't pan at work when it does here.

[Edit] Oh also, dunno if anyone noticed, but the ground texture under the water in the moat area is underscaled in the V1.01 release I think. This was already fixed for V2. It was an accident I left it that way after rebuilding some geo that reset the alignment and scaling.

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2009, 21:26

Anybody wanna test v2 before it's compilerationization time?

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2009, 05:59

I wouldn't mind playin it again...and I'm sure I can get Peanuts to go through it to :tup:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009, 16:15

Just finished replaying on Medium.
And I was a lot more difficult in some parts than previously (it seems the odds were against me this time).

For one reason or the other I couldn't remember where the chain (next to the library) was - that took me about 20 minutes of wandering around but due to falling off somewhere, I found a hitherto undiscovered section which gave me an unexpected but satisfying extra battle.

Then when crossing the long hanging bridge, the f*ing B*stnerds got me with the ClusterF*er, thrice.
The Brute (or Behemoth) at the long flashy bridge was completely at the back (seems like a different position than during my previous quest) and I could only see him before he started shooting, once het started I had to shoot blindly hoping he would b approximately whee I saw him first. It took me ages to kill him.

And the boss at the end was again seriously difficult (since I had used quite a few ClusterF*bombs to get rid of the more difficult positioned Skaarj.

In short - never a dull moment and since my purpose this time was to test replay value - I'll give it a new :tup: .

Looking forward to the compilerionisated version!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009, 10:42

I've come back from my internet exile, and have been playing through the submissions in the order they were ranked. I have to say, i've looked forward to tackling this beast for a while :lol: I can't be bothered waiting for V2, this gets played now.

I might come back and post my impressions, although they'll probably just be along the lines of "It was fucking awesome!" :lol:

EDIT: It WAS Fucking awesome.

The only problems I had with the map:
1. General BSP related bullshitery but there wasn't much and i don't care about it at all
2. I had no idea how to do the climbing thing, two hours of walking around before i finally figured it out. That was a real yawn inducer and flow breaker.
3. Final boss, the fight itself was great, atmospheric and the perfect difficulty, but it would be nice if there was some way of showing that you are actually doing damage to the boss. Like, for the whole fight (and the millions of times i had to reload the game to go through this fight) I was wondering if this was a standard "shoot till it drops" boss or a tricky "find the switches littered about the arena and turn them all off while avoiding the boss" type of boss. The thing which makes this worse is the fact that I had a full SK6 and managed to shoot all 20 rockets smacking into the dude and he didn't even flinch. I dunno, it'd just be nice to know that i hadn't wasted all that ammo and it actually WAS hurting him.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009, 16:07

Thanks, glad you liked it. I think based on that suggestion I'll add some more conditions that trigger the Warlord's PlayTakeHit function (which does pain anims and sounds), and possibly have it spray blood decals every time you do at least X damage once it's below a certain health level. Should be doable.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009, 21:06

finished it on Hard (ok, not really - I can't beat the Warlord on Hard but to me it's as though I finished it).

And now playing on Unreal, making good progress - just finshed off the third Titan and suddenly remembered that I thought it should be possible from there to jump into the area which is unreachable because of the fence (to the right immediately after finishing the long bridge and entering the castle area).
As I suspected I saw the ledges in the wall, dropped down and got slaughtered. Second time, more careful, elminated the enemies, picked up all the goodies and looked for half an hour for a means to exit that area. Walked the roof, looking for ledges on the walls, walked around that tower searching for ropes or chains, blasted everything hoping a wall would give way, even tried rocketjumping (and ended up dying of course).
Please let me out - I 've got an appointment with a couple of Brutes and Skaarj and I daren't be late.

BTW, I played on Medium, Hard and now Unreal and it's different each time. It may sound unfair to all the other excellent maps and mappacks but, damn I like this one :D

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009, 21:34

There's a brick next to the stairs that is loose. If you have a flashlight or flare, it will be a lot easier to see it. You jump to that and then jump to the barred fence and you're back.

I'm glad the OddsOfAppearing usage is giving you unexpected encounters ;)

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009, 23:49

Waffnuffly wrote:There's a brick next to the stairs that is loose.

How could I have missed that after looking from above for such structures? Thanks, only thing is that now that it's for real, the Skaarj are giving me such a hard time that I'm wondering whether it's worth the trouble considering the long way up again. On the other hand, while ghosting I noticed more Skaarj at ground level, so it seems I wasn't thorough enough.
On Hard I made 132 kills (Warlord is still alive) but I didn't enter the fenced section.
On Unreal I am now at 121 with at least another 18 waiting (those that I think will appear based on Hard Experience).

Funny thing is my daughter showed me how to save even more ammo by using only the DP for the snipers in the windows alongside the bridge (but it takes kong). Soon I'll do it on Unreal using only the DP :wink:

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009, 23:50

Just allammo the SK-6 and try not to kill YOURSELF and see how it goes :p

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009, 16:38

salsaSkaarj wrote:On Unreal I am now at 121 with at least another 18 waiting (those that I think will appear based on Hard Experience).

Now at the Warlord which means I've finished.
144 kills (Warlord still alive) and there is one Skaarjgunner alive which I could only see from too high up (no way to go down again) and didn't manage to kill). Ghosting also revealed two more skaarj alive behind the windows along the bridge, and one more Skaarj on top of a wall which I only noticed from high up - no idea if it is reachable yet..

Previous Next