Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Rise of USP

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 00:55

lol you need to copy over the UGold textures to your UT99 folder...they don't come with the conversion because they don't need to be converted :P

Upakfonts.utx is the name :wink:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 08:21

UBerserker wrote:
Legendslayer222 wrote:I've started construction. It will be city based, starting in a high street, and going into the USP base. I will put in multiple ways of entering the base.

Reminds me of the MH-Liandrisomething maps, as those were the only ones in existence in which you would invade a building by starting from the streets.
It's always a nice idea in urban themed maps.

MH-LiandriInvasion
MH-LiandriConflict
Those were Monster Hunt maps by Derdak2rot, they were just reduxes of the CityIntro.unr...

Erm, were we supposed to download them yet?
I have to say, Final boss is waaaay to easy (At least on easy-I play 1-at-a-time) four shells in the quadshot, and I killed him without even getting hit. I made it to him after being brought down to 2 hp at the Security officer, and I killed the Turret guy with the Quadshot before he even saw me-don't mess with mah ninja quadshot skillz 8)
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar zacman

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 08:23

zacman wrote:
UBerserker wrote:
Legendslayer222 wrote:I've started construction. It will be city based, starting in a high street, and going into the USP base. I will put in multiple ways of entering the base.

Reminds me of the MH-Liandrisomething maps, as those were the only ones in existence in which you would invade a building by starting from the streets.
It's always a nice idea in urban themed maps.

MH-LiandriInvasion
MH-LiandriConflict
Those were Monster Hunt maps by Derdak2rot, they were just reduxes of the CityIntro.unr...

Erm, were we supposed to download them yet?
I have to say, Final boss is waaaay to easy (At least on easy-I play 1-at-a-time) four shells in the quadshot, and I killed him without even getting hit. I made it to him after being brought down to 2 hp at the Security officer, and I killed the Turret guy with the Quadshot before he even saw me-don't mess with mah ninja quadshot skillz 8)

There are TWO conversions out there. If you download RTNP4UT, you get everything. RTNP2UT only gives the RTNP stuff...
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 10:01

I don't know this RTNP4UT, honestly. Download link?
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 10:10

Oh dear... I feel my final score is going to lose 50 points for compatibility issues alone! :/
*Smacks head onto table several times*

SPOILERS HERE:
About killing the boss really easily... He has 5 health. (Yes, a DP could kill him... Uh, me) Another random joke, preparing you for a big fight & you get that. There is a trigger message just before you go into your spaceship saying "So... Legendslayer222 had just 5 health in total?", although everyone seems to have ran straight past that, despite my efforts to make you notice. :x

User avatar zacman

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 10:15

UBerserker wrote:I don't know this RTNP4UT, honestly. Download link?

http://www.filefront.com/9904770/Return ... Pali---UT/
Legendslayer222 wrote:Oh dear... I feel my final score is going to lose 50 points for compatibility issues alone! :/

SPOILERS HERE:
About killing the boss really easily... He has 5 health. (Yes, a DP could kill him... Uh, me) Another random joke, preparing you for a big fight & you get that. There is a trigger message just before you go into your spaceship saying "So... Legendslayer222 had just 5 health in total?", although everyone seems to have ran straight past that, despite my efforts to make you notice. :x

Maybe set the Translator Event to BTriggeredOnly and have the death of Legendslayer222 trigger it?
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 10:23

zacman wrote:

Legendslayer222 wrote:Oh dear... I feel my final score is going to lose 50 points for compatibility issues alone! :/

SPOILERS HERE:

Maybe set the Translator Event to BTriggeredOnly and have the death of Legendslayer222 trigger it?

Nah, I've already entered my map now. Although I will do something like this in time for the compilation release!

User avatar zacman

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 10:27

Legendslayer222 wrote:
zacman wrote:

SPOILERS HERE:

Nah, I've already entered my map now. Although I will do something like this in time for the compilation release!

Still a couple of days left!!
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 10:33

zacman wrote:

It's actually an unofficial zipfile of RTNP2UT with some other files. It's not necessary, as the Marine.uax file is never used in-game.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 13:19

UBerserker wrote:It's actually an unofficial zipfile of RTNP2UT with some other files. It's not necessary, as the Marine.uax file is never used in-game.

actually that isn't right. I had to copy tons of RTNP files over from my old 226 install after installing RTNP2UT before the map started working, including marine.uax and upakfonts.utx

So yeah. I played it. I enjoyed the news editor log (It's funny because it's true!), and I think that you did quite a bit right for a beginner. IIRC there were points where you could choose multiple ways to progress through the level. Many advanced level designers never include that! Architecture-wise I liked the way you did the trucks and some decoration work like the computers, but generally rooms lacked detail and the whole place didn't really feel like an office complex. I also had the feeling that you didn't think much about inventory placement, since the player gets a CAR at the beginning, however there is hardly any ammo for it on the way. Also you placed a nice amount of Quadshot ammo, however the fact that you only receive it at the end of the level makes that pointless. Having to wrestle it from a SkaarjTrooper with increased health who can one shot you if you get too close is another issue for itself. :s
Also I got the "Legendslayer22 only had 5 hp?" message, but there was no sign of a spaceship arriving!

All in all Rise of USP is a beginner's valiant effort that showcases a certain ability to create an interesting level flow, however suffers from a simple lack of experience. There's nothing that can't be fixed! If you keep on mapping, try to use references, for example by opening existing maps to see how others do their levels, or by looking at pictures of the kind of environment you want to create. That is a safe way to improve and make your levels more believable and solid. :tup:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 14:48

After the 6 weeks is finished & judging is initiated I'll do a Rise Of USP: Tips, Tricks & Easter Eggs thread. You obviously missed the 1st Quadshot pickup Sana! :wink:

Sana you called my legendslayer22. Why does everyone do this, damn it?!?!? :x
Last edited by Legendslayer222 on 05 Aug 2009, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 15:50

I found some easter eggs. The 7B Dares to be different one, the vase one, the "stuck in the ceiling" one and those of the crucified Nali (empty messages though).
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 15:55

Downloaded the file linked to in the first post and tried with RTNP - no go. Then downloaded the RTNP4UT, installed and played with UT - works like a charm. (you should mention exactly how to install it for RTNP in the first post).

Played on Hard and had no trouble beating it, I'll try on Unreal next.

Overall, the map didn't live up to my expectations in terms of architecture based on the screenshots.
*SPOILER*
Gameplay too easy, one on one here puts the player at a great advantage - and even the 4 Skaarj in the beginning can be brushed aside from distance with just the DP. The security guy almost got me but that was entirely my own fault. And the end boss - well?! it was funny (I had seen the message) but it wasn't really a climax to the map.

Those humourous messages were good :tup: - a nice change from the usual "I you read this then I am dead" stuff.

I did have fun with it and considering it's your first (or almost first) map and that it was done it such a short time, it shows promise which could be fulfilled with a little more experience.

*END SPOILER*
Looking forward to your next map!

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 15:57

UBerserker wrote:I found some easter eggs. The 7B Dares to be different one, the vase one, the "stuck in the ceiling" one and those of the crucified Nali (empty messages though).

I've never even played 7B. This must be a coincidence. :o

What 7B thing are you thinking of?...

(You missed the bauble EE, although it's not really that hard to find, or maybe you just didn't consider it as an EE at all :P )

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 16:51

It's over the 7B Shipment box, I think. It says "Dares to be different" in the middle of the message.
ImageImage

Previous Next