UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Codename "VVV"

The archive for the 8th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 00:29

Damn, look at that fog! Stunning work!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 00:33

Hopefully, the stains won't foul the beauty in that part of the map.
ImageImage

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 00:42

< 9000, sry :lol:

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 01:25

UBerserker wrote:Hopefully, the stains won't foul the beauty in that part of the map.

Engine Limitation. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Can you at least give an explanation on how to fix it if its not? Something in the fog properties or something?

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 01:54

jackrabbit wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Hopefully, the stains won't foul the beauty in that part of the map.

Engine Limitation. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Can you at least give an explanation on how to fix it if its not? Something in the fog properties or something?

I'm telling you guys, it's this engine's horrible, abominable, godawful lightmap rendering. Lightmap resolution is less than a quarter of the texture resolution, and it gets smaller if you scale the textures up at all. There's nothing that can be done about that.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 02:06

Waffnuffly wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:

Engine Limitation. :tdown:

I'm telling you guys, it's this engine's horrible, abominable, godawful lightmap rendering. Lightmap resolution is less than a quarter of the texture resolution, and it gets smaller if you scale the textures up at all. There's nothing that can be done about that.

Well personally, I don't use decals in my Unreal install (I think its on in UT though). I wouldn't want someone rating my map based on "stains that foul the beauty", if the mappers intentions make a map that doesn't supports decals and runs on lets say... the original Unreal version 226b (gold). I don't consider it the fault of the mapper if decals are not rendering properly. Simple as that.

The reason I bring this up in particular is that because now with 227's decal support it can be an issue also for the original unreal. I can now imagine someone like UBerskerker complaining in the review "I run in 227 and the decals are not rendering properly, so this is a weakness in the map." That is not true if others are not using decals and running pre-227.

Do I think decals are a stupid concept? No. Do I think they are really necessary in Unreal or UT? No.

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 04:02

Wait, what? I thought you guys were talking about the light bleed in dark areas that will appear on any UE1-engine map for any game ever with dark areas mixed with bright lights, not the decals bleeding through fog issue.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 09:22

Yep, decal bleeding through the fog.
Fog has been always a problem in Unreal. Either it's badly applied, or it will cause FPS decreases. The Unreal Engine isn't that great for creating illumination.
The lighting in DV2 was rated for something different. So don't worry about that.
ImageImage

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 09:47

I really didn't notice any problems with the decals in my DV2 map that Uberserker mentioned, except for the blood decals that monsters leave behind. Uberserker, what exactly are you referring to, if not that? I thought the fog was just fine when I made the map. Maybe something is different in the render you use?

Sorry for the off-topic comment. Maybe these comments about fog can be moved to the DV2 review thread?
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 14 Jul 2009, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 09:50

Lightning Hunter wrote:except for the blood decals that monsters leave behind.

That. And once again I say: I never put it into consideration for the lighting vote.
But the fog is used right in DV2 Map 3, and probably one of the greatest use of it in a SP mappack.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 09:55

UBerserker wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:except for the blood decals that monsters leave behind.

That. And once again I say: I never put it into consideration for the lighting vote.
But the fog is used right in DV2 Map 3, and probably one of the greatest use of it in a SP mappack.

Ok, well I just thought when I originally read the review that you would have preferred me to leave the fog out of the map due to a silly issue with the blood decals. I'm glad you did enjoy it, then.

Again: I don't mind if these comments are moved to the DV2 review thread. :)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009, 19:21

Well, to drag things back on topic, so far I have only used fog in one tiny area of VVV - and it's probably not going to be a combat area (I may change my mind on that of course), in which case decals won't be a problem.
Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009, 00:42

Hellscrag wrote:Well, to drag things back on topic, so far I have only used fog in one tiny area of VVV - and it's probably not going to be a combat area (I may change my mind on that of course), in which case decals won't be a problem.

I don't think it matters anyway. The blood decals never bothered me so much that I felt mappers needed to abolish all fog in areas with any combat. Just do as you please with the fog. 8)

Previous