UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

UnrealEd Shortcut Keys

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: UnrealEd Shortcut Keys

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2007, 22:50

Are there any keyboard shortcut keys for Polygons--->Merge? I might be using this thread for other somewhat simple one-liner questions. (To not make it a waste.)

[Edit]
Whoops, wrong forum. Somebody move this one to Content Creation, pl0x.

[Edit2]
Another question: is it a good idea to label all surfaces high shadow detail? I know it takes a slightly longer time to bake lightmaps into the BSP but if it doesn't affect performance, I might as well do it for every map I make.

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: UnrealEd Shortcut Keys

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2007, 12:52

GTD-Carthage wrote:Are there any keyboard shortcut keys for Polygons--->Merge? I might be using this thread for other somewhat simple one-liner questions. (To not make it a waste.)

[Edit]
Whoops, wrong forum. Somebody move this one to Content Creation, pl0x.

[Edit2]
Another question: is it a good idea to label all surfaces high shadow detail? I know it takes a slightly longer time to bake lightmaps into the BSP but if it doesn't affect performance, I might as well do it for every map I make.

I don't know any shortcut for polygons-merge (not that I use it often afterall, I usually merge only terrains as I don't use the 2D shape editor often), but I'll answer to the second question: High Shadow detail does affect performance, although not very heavily if you limit yourself to 2x detail (you know, assigning a bigger scale in the texture properities and then scaling down it in the map will increase shadow detail), but it affects heavily filesize, so use it wisely in multiplayer maps.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2007, 13:21

the more polygons/surfaces in view, the bigger the performance hit is with high shadow detail.
with 200 to 400 poly's in view, high shadow detail gives pretty much tolerable performance on nowadays pc's, but anything near the 1k poly's will SEVERELY drop down your fps to a standstill.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2007, 12:48

/me notices Turboman's avi. :P

I've got another question - this in particular, 2D Shape Editor related. Is this a good idea?

There are a few surfaces parallel to the same side of the brush. Could this cause some errors? Well, it certainly makes trimming easier. :P

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2007, 14:47

(going OT)
/sees Turboman's avatar as well
:lol: so... Turboman is actually Daikatana, huh? :P

(going on topic again)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

wael
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2007, 15:47

it wont cause any problems but i'd rather do that with the cilp tool, or just by intersecting the brush, it'll you the trouble of all the triangulated polys.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2007, 09:07

Alright, another question... what's an 'infinitesimal polygon'? Does this have something to do with brush vertex positions having large/infinite decimal places? (Well, basically what happens when a brush isn't aligned to the grid.)

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2007, 13:00

You mean when the face seems endless? It happens when you vertex edit badly a non-triangular face so that the planar face isn't planar anymore (for example, you take a sheet and move down only one of the vertexs: the face can't split itself in 2 triangles so it will cause that BSP error).

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2007, 14:05

Well, I sometimes find that word occuring in the Editor's log during the rebuild of various maps. (Those maps, as I remember, don't have BSP errors.)

Okhay, new question! (I'm a noob aren't I? :P ) When you enable "stat fps", a field called render is also shown. Exactly what does the number here mean? When is this number good or bad?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2007, 19:46

I believe "infinitesimal" means "so small that it barely exists". Is your geometry 100% on the grid?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2007, 00:50

Well, I used brazier curves (2D Shape Editor) at some cases... (causes not-snapped-to-grid vertices) but other than that, no. I usually only make in-powers-of-two/multiples-of-16 brushes and I make sure they're all snapped to the grid.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007, 02:40

Alright! Another question! Does the location of a brush's origin affect the BSP in any way? :D I've always thought that having brushes with origins not in its exact centers are likely to cause various BSP problems (such as texture colorations in software rendering) but is this really true?