Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Modeling thread

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Modeling thread

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014, 11:47

This is pretty good! V-Ray?

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014, 12:25

my guess it is mental ray, though.
i switched to iray recently, was too lazy to install and learn something new like V-Ray. iray promised compatibility with old mental ray materials, and it is shipped with 3ds max. my conclusion: damn it's sweet - absolutely precise and requires no tinkering with fuckload of GI parameters, you're getting physically correct light scattering throughout all the scene. perfectly matched my interior visualization needs. the only downside is that it is rather slow on my laptop's GPU (yes it uses GPU), but it must be a blast on expensive SLIs.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014, 13:06

Mental ray yes

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014, 16:19

diamond wrote:my guess it is mental ray, though.
i switched to iray recently, was too lazy to install and learn something new like V-Ray. iray promised compatibility with old mental ray materials, and it is shipped with 3ds max. my conclusion: damn it's sweet - absolutely precise and requires no tinkering with fuckload of GI parameters, you're getting physically correct light scattering throughout all the scene. perfectly matched my interior visualization needs. the only downside is that it is rather slow on my laptop's GPU (yes it uses GPU), but it must be a blast on expensive SLIs.

For some reason iRay from Max 2009 is far better than from 2012. Can't guess why, but still, it's much lighter and user friendly then V-Ray.

BUT V-Ray has a light cache... which is EXACLTY the same rendering technique that iray uses and is much faster. Seriously.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014, 18:56

This was pretty easy to make but I thought it looked cool and decided to render it.

As a bit of a Minecraft player, I ended up really liking the results of the cubing modifier, so I kept it. Imagining walking around on this thing just captured my imagination, even if the render is pretty basic and abstract.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014, 02:00

I made a real model this time!

It's nothing special, but I ended up spending a bit more time than I intended on a model I've seen a number of times, and just happened to play around with because it looked interesting and I happened to have Blender open. I also got a bit of experience using Inkscape (for vector illustrations) for some of the detail. Maybe my execution is a bit sloppy right now, but I think I might make use of Inkscape a bit more often now that I'm getting more comfortable using it.

The source model is of Thief 4's Broadhead arrowhead. I noticed a detail in their arrows that caught my attention: they use the same shaft, but the different heads -Broadhead, Water, Fire, Rope, etc.- can all be interchanged (in the previous games, the Broadhead, Rope, and Noisemaker arrows always included a shaft, though it was implied by the pickups that the elemental crystals would be attached to blank shafts after being aquired). The specialized arrows (the last four in the above list) also all use a secondary modular mount attachment that holds a capsule device with a pointed button on the end to release the contents of the capsule or, in the case of rope arrows, allow the rope to unfurl and hang down for climbing. For a game that many people, including me, suspect might not be quite as satisfying and respectful to the legacy of past Thief titles, at least their mechanical design team seems to have some creative ideas, even if they're generally only cosmetic.

Here's the original source image with all of the arrows -as well as a "blank" shaft- shown:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

My renders:

Some "interpretation" was used, and this is obviously an unskinned model, but I still captured most of the physical design that caught my attention in EM's render.

I may check into doing the other arrow types shown in the reference image if I ever get a similar circumstance as today's.
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2014, 15:02

is it possible to export a textured .53d mesh to 3dsmax?
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014, 15:54

Edit: Updated version with Delacroix's suggestion:

The rig fits the nali statue almost perfectly, so I'd say it's close enough.
Last edited by AlCapowned on 09 Feb 2014, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014, 19:32

Hahaha... an Avatar of Vandora? Nice!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014, 22:43

If that is for real I am so keen
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 20:24

Looks really good AlCapowned, has this classic Unreal feel to it.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 02:08

The second, lower row of breasts seems a bit too distant from the first. There's too much space between them compared to the portrait. Otherwise, this loks really neat.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014, 01:34

Attempted a recreation of one of the hallway styles of Alien's Nostromo. There's a lot of inaccuracies but none that need to be mentioned :P . I think my main goal was/is to use a lot of the panel detail to produce some good textures for Unreal (much of the detail is pretty much snapped to the grid). I'm not entirely sure how that will work out, but I'm fairly happy with the way this scene ended up.

It's just detail in this case, but I've been randomly playing around with modular geometry and models composed of grid-snapped elements so you can creatively use textures in ways they weren't entirely intended without having to move or scale the textures/models in strange ways in a level design environment.
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014, 15:30

That looks fantastic! Whoever is working on the new game starring Ripley's daughter should hire you.

Also, looking at your ModDb portfolio - that's an awesome Razorjack.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014, 23:21

Haven't posted anything here in a long time, but so you know, I'm doing something big.
Here's a part of it. Yep, it's for Unreal.

This:

+ 3 simple textures equals...

It's a part of a very big cliff which... Well, will fit into unreal as Static Mesh. A low-poly version of it.

Previous Next