Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Modeling thread

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Modeling thread

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013, 09:34

Bleeder91<NL> wrote:
xRedStar wrote:Does anyone here know if I could add a specific strength to the EnviroMap for my multiskin weapon. I want there to be both enviromap texture, and multiskins at once... :|
I need part of the weapon to have a normal Skin, and some of it to have a EnviroMap... sad case is neither work at the same time!!!

Redraw the weapon with a masked normal texture over the enviromap one (RenderOverlays)?

Yeah. Set the "inner" base model's texture to enviromap, then apply the regular diffuse as a separate overlay model on top. You may use Unreal 227's alpha based translucency to regulate the "strength" of the EnviroMap (by changing the diffuse texture overlay's transparency).
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013, 06:41

love that tank
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013, 16:55

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013, 23:24

When will this ad debut in television? I'd buy one of those straight away, you have me sold! :D
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Bloodshot
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013, 06:02

Working on some UT99 models which I will hopefully be able to figure out how to get into UT2004

and I just did this one

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013, 11:51

Hah, not bad!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013, 16:49

VERY nice!

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013, 19:21

That looks really good!

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013, 19:28

hah, nice work there! this reminds me a tad of Black Mesa for Half Life 2 - a recreation of the half-life 1 materials into the newer source engine. So, it had HD versions of all the old weapons.

Looking forward to how the redeemer's gonna look in this package. :twisted:

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 15:44

Every single time I look at this thread, I feel like Homer looking at a hotdog truck. :D
Very nice stuff :)

A question though: after the release of the final version of my mod, I intend to do more serious stuff and implement some new concepts. These will need that I make all my models as skeletal, basically psk/psa files, and although the current program I use (MS3D) supports it nativelly and exports well, I can't really define animation sequence names which are needed (as in the case of psa files, in the import you don't define the animation sequences, and I am not sure if a "#exec ANIM SEQUENCE=... ANIM=someAnim ... " would work, probably not) nor poly flags (translucent, 2-sided, etc).

So I looked at 2 possibilities: Blender and 3DS Max.
I tried Blender at first, and it totally blew me away, really a good editor, but once I tried the available export/import plugin, it didn't work well. It can import the psk mesh just fine, but the import of bones or animation of any sort gets messed up, and the export of new models is never successful giving tons of python errors in the exporter.
I used version 2.6.something.

So now I am going to try 3DS Max, given that it has full ActorX support and since it's at the same level of Blender (if not above).

Hence my question: I prefer to use Blender since it's a *free* good modelling tool, and it seems to me that some folks here use that as well. Therefore, which version should I use and which exporter/importer to make it work properly? If there isn't, I guess I will have to go with Max.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2013, 17:23

If you want to get the free license of 3DS Max, you might have better luck since the import/export pipeline actually works the way it's supposed to. Blender doesn't have official support from Epic, and never has as far as I am aware. But like you said, it's free, compact, and powerful enough for what you're trying to accomplish. I've become very attached to it, and in addition, if you rig and animate your meshes in Blender (rigging specifically has a goofy learning curve), your exports should turn out fine, but I understand the frustration in this approach of ditching MS3D's familiar animation toolset for Blender's, or that of any other software.

Blender just needs better-written import/export scripts. All of your (and my) problems would be solved.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013, 00:19

Don't get me wrong, I have been doing experiments with Blender for a while, and I hate MS3D for the simple fact that it's too limited, and bugged within its own limitations to boot (you do the slightest thing wrong, and it may ruin your work). The only reason I have been using it is because of its native exporter which is actually pretty damn awesome, and never goes wrong.

But then once I tried to experiment the exports in Blender and such, it would only give cryptic errors no one seems to know about, probably because the last exporter was made for 2.5.x and I am using 2.6.x, and it seems that it's a Blender's tradition to just change things drastically without any sort of fallback to run at least the old plugins.

3DS Max on the other hand seems to have the full toolset Blender has, 2 exporters (3ds2unr for .3d and ActorX from Epic for .psk/.psa) and even 1 importer (from .psk/.psa).
I have it here sitting and still waiting to get installed, but if it works the way I want so, then probably that's the way I will go.

It saddens me everytime I have to opt for a proprietary solution because the open source one doesn't work....

Thanks for your reply :)

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013, 21:00

So I am proud present a quick Promo of a weapon I am making for Unreal called the Rhino Shotgun... it basically fires 4-5 explosions... each explosion is about 32 uu in diameter and the locations of each explosion is sort of random on impact. The photo I am posting is a Graphite rendering of the model on 3ds Max, it's not the texture yet... but I am working on getting it to resemble to it. I am decent\experienced with texture art software and I just recently got started with Photoshop after using Corel Paintshop Pro X2 for 4-5 years. So far it is working except I am having trouble getting the edges of each poly in the uv. Maybe someone could help me with that, but in any case... the weapon is nearly finished and I'll be finishing a few other ones too and post them here. But if anyone here knows how to get the edges of each poly on the UV Map to color in then the flow of the textures will turn out quite beautiful. In anycase here is a little PROMO of my gun :)

WIP

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013, 22:56

That weapon looks as deadly as it sounds. :tup:

xRedStar
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013, 04:10

Also, I know how to texture it and all so I'm not totally worried about that half of it... I think once I figure out how to get those lines to disappear the model will look even better... more updates soon and thanks for the feedback!

Previous Next