UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Modeling thread

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Modeling thread

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010, 23:27

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I completely forgot :P I was playing around, and saw that mrSkyPortal really eats up way too much time, and it is inaccurate. At least I can't set it up properly. :)

So, not really a model, but a part of a level I'm working up in Maya as a portofolio piece.

Needs more work, hope I can squeeze in as much as I can in the limited timeframe :tup: Gonna post an old model later on, just need to render it out first. Just some tire/rims.
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010, 11:14

Yay more renders :P Just some tires really, but they were a pain to make :)

"Sir, we're surrounded!"

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010, 16:45

Well, rim model is great, but you need to set materials better. And create a simple scene. Like this:

It took me 20 minutes to set the scene here. It's pretty basic actually.

Quick VRay render. Dunno how it is in Maya, but you need to set area light for window lights, and one behind the door, all materials - wall and floor - need to be reflective materials with blurred reflections. As for the tires - they need a reflection too, with a falloff. Then, on the aluminium set a brushed material, also with blurred gloss. And then a lens effect for the scene. Then camera Vingering to twice as normal and a DOF effect.

With rims you've created it would look incredibly awesome. Believe me. Mine are shitty XD

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010, 20:21

Hm, thanks :) I'll look into it. By the way, everything, with the exception of that level, is made in 3Ds Max :) I've never played around with materials much. I'll dig into it and see what I can do :D
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010, 20:29

Well, I can prepare some mats for you in 3D Studio, Mental Ray and VRay... If you'd like. And the scene above, if you have VRay, I can send you somehow.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 19:24

A bit better I guess, Mental Ray render.

Doubleposting. Sorry!

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 19:27

I like the second one better, less bloom. But that aside...

<--- This is how I felt when I started browsing through what you just sent me :B

Tomorrow is going to be a new and productive day :D What's the material for the rims anyway? I can pretty much find everything but for the rims themselves. A special shader or something?
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:09

I used the same Architectural shader for every material. The one Rims got is called... Rim. The most shiny one XD
There aren't many things you need to look into. Material color, Reflection, Reflection Gloss and BRDF.
You could make it anistrophic, but then you'd need to set a new UVW mapping with unique Map Channel. I never played with that thing really.
Last edited by Z-enzyme on 21 Sep 2010, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 22:05

I'd be interested in whatever assets you guys are sharing! :o
Speaking of textures, maybe someone can put these texture packs to good use in their modeling endeavors?
http://ae.tutsplus.com/articles/roundup ... tutorials/
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 22:28

Ask qtit about that :) As much as I'm concerned, I'm trying to wrap my head around rendering, so he was kind enough to send me a scene he rednered (his tires) with materials, so I can dig my< power-hungry brain into what he did and try to figure things out. I'm usually pretty good at this :)
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010, 23:14

sana wrote:I'd be interested in whatever assets you guys are sharing! :o

Whatever. Free_For_All

CLICK MEEEE!!!

sana wrote:Speaking of textures, maybe someone can put these texture packs to good use in their modeling endeavors?
http://ae.tutsplus.com/articles/roundup ... tutorials/

Full night download session! Yay!

Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010, 19:35

More time passed, more questions from me! :D

So I've started tinkering with UVW unwrapping in Maya, and I'm just wondering if I'm doing it right.

Here's the shot of the model I made:

And here is the UVW map for the model. Not the best, I think, but it's my first :)

I'm just wondering in general, how I could improve. I tried to keep things as close to their original size as possible, and the more detail a thing would need or the bigger/more noticeable it is on the model, the more UV space I gave it. I also overlapped a lot of UVs that were repeating themselves a whole lot, since it's a waste of UV space.

Any comments are welcome! \o/
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010, 21:51

I hate Imageshack... :<

Quite nice! But you must avoid making too many UV islands. Right upper corner of UV map is way too 'fractured'.

Give me a sec to open this image, and I'll show you how you could solve this problem...

Edit:

Ok, got it. So, those fragmentarised part of your UV is, as I presume, the thick polygons of your detailed part, that is the side which is beautifully cut. As this part of the model is rarely seen in game, it doesn't have to be like perfectly stretch on your UV. And, what's more, dont be afraid of skews on fragments which can be overbrighten on your texture (very well lighten, like lamps, there are not much pixels visible there anyway) or very dark (consider ambient occlusion), or even small (who really cares what's there). This way you can get a lot more space for more important parts.

So, here I've taken the polygons you've broken apart from the whole, and stick them back, stretched them, skewed them, screwed them... This way I got plenty of space for other things...

Now, remember, when you do texturing, you use 2 UV channels.

1st is for your texture RENDER, that is the final texture you want your model to have.
2nd is for BASE TEXTURES you'll apply for your model...

Umm, give me a second, you'll see what I mean.

Edith the Second;

Ok, I've created a 'fake'-detailed fragment, like your's there, with holes.

Now, I need to add uv mapping there. I set it to planar, then add a modifier which can edit UV verticies.

I select the back face (faces) and move it so it won't bother me. Now, the front. I select the front faces and move them like this.

WOW! Wtf, scary... no worries, we'll fix it.

Now I can select the verticies of the thickness edges easily...

...and move them, scale them to the centre of the front polygon plane. This way I skewed them a bit, but noone will notice, believe me.

With more complicated fragments it's a little bit more work. So I need to select just a part of all of the verticies there, and move + scale + select less + move + scale + ... it took me like 5 minutes to set all of those... Don't worry if it's not perfect...

When I was done with the inner verticies, it came time for the outer ones. So I just selected those and Scale + moved them.

Now I packed UV map. You can overlap faces of the front and back, but I'm not an enthusiast of overlapping. My private preference. As I use a lot of Fractal mapping for different detail on every plane, even if they have same mesh, it look lame later on.

I've got my UV packed now. But if you add a texture you'll see a wraping texture like this...

Ugly!!! So, to avoid it, I've given the mesh a second UV map with Map Channel 2...

Yeeeha! Cool. And now I can render the Map Channel 2 texture on Map Channel 1... Map... XD
But notice, that the UV map has wrapped pixels on the outer polys. You can break those and make them totally planar to avoid this.

I tend not to do this, noone never notices it really.
And done! No wraps. Later you can add Ambient Occlusion, so the most wrapped fragments are not visible, and it adds a bit of realism to your models.

Done!!

Have Fun!

And sorries for big screenies... I'm too lazy to set it with tumbs or edit it anyway... Sorry again xD

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 03:34

Holy shit that is awesome qtit, thanks a bunch for all the shots and description!

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010, 06:35

Yes, thank you! :o It's probably one of the best "tutorials" I've came accross :D Thanks a bunch!

I also didn't know you can skew parts of the texture like that, most things I read were all like "go with the least amount of distortion" :) As for the overlapping faces, I just presumed that if a piece of the model gets repeated like 20-ish something times, you can unwrap three or four parts to give it some randomness between parts, and overlap the rest to save up on UV space. Especially if, like you said, things can't be seen (very well), e.g. the inside of the lamp. But yeah, it's probably really a personal preference :) Need to get back to work now :D
"Sir, we're surrounded!"

Previous Next