UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

UnrealEd ProTips Thread

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: UnrealEd ProTips Thread

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011, 01:47

Ha, found it:
http://www.nijnka.com/hourences/tutoria ... edcave.jpg

That one pretty much sums it up for those just starting out with doing terrain (or those who have done it the unsafe way without knowing it). Other stabilizing tips and tutorials would be fantastic, though, since parts of the above tutorial can be a bit screwy on occasion.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011, 03:46

Yeah that one is decent, but it needs to be expanded a bit imo....

Okay, I made one in powerpoint and uploaded it. Someone have a look and pick it apart, tell me what's broken, etc...and I should probably give credit for the screenshots, but whatever.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gsbct84fv5cbut4
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 02:35

idk why but for the texture click thing its alt + left click to make it the current texture, in ued2 (ut99).

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 04:44

jaypeezy wrote:idk why but for the texture click thing its alt + left click to make it the current texture, in ued2 (ut99).

You sure? It's definitely alt + right click to load the texture and alt + left click to apply it here. Been using it since Frieza pointed it out for me on IRC. Maybe you have some inverted mouse clicking settings or something. But hey, as long as it works, right?

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 13:47

Left handed mouse maybe.

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011, 06:56

oh. different ones to load and apply. got it..

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011, 14:46

Nice thread! I didn't know some of those commands/shortcuts.

A couple of additions that are pretty simple but quite important IMO (they are for me at least)

- Instead of manually going into the properties of the actors you can just write Set Actor bEdShouldSnap=true to apply it to all the actors in the map. Usually I add all the stuff that I have to snap (weapons, ammo, pawns etc.) at once and then write that command.
A surefire way of having the actor snapped to the grid is, right after having applied the command: moving the actor, left-clicking it to make the pivot (red cross thing) appear, right-click on the pivot.
Note that when you add an actor using the "Add x Here" function that appears when you right-click a surface in the 3D viewport it will always be snapped to the grid. This is NOT the case when you hold A and click on a surface to add it quickly.

- This is written in the UnrealEd console wiki page, but it is very useful so I will repeat it: Poly texscale VU=# is used to skew the textures vertically, I use it very often for example to skew the trims on the sides of the ramps (e.g. for a 256 wide 128 high ramp you'd use Poly texscale VU=0.5). This is how the most mappers "rotate" the trims so perfectly on those surfaces...

- Most people probably know this, but I discovered it only about a year ago :P: Clicking on a surface in the 3D viewport while holding Shift will select the brush of that surface.

Another crash that might occur if you're not careful (happened to me boatloads of times :P) is when you playtest the map and there are still surfaces from the "show Polys" function on movers active. Just always rebuild before testing a map to be sure.

Lastly, I wholeheartedly agree with who discourages Copying and Pasting instead of duplicating. Been there done that, it can brick entire maps and it is not safe. Even if the map works fine when you test it out there is a chance that it will have troubles online. So... USE ONLY DUPLICATE if you are copying things in the same map (of course Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V is useful when moving stuff from map to map although it isn't really safe either).

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011, 17:28

Ah yeah, I do the shift+select ALLLLLLLLL the time so I forgot to even add it. Good catch. For the snapping, that's also a good tip.

Speaking of show polys, I think I'll add that as well for people who aren't as ed-familiar (which is half the point of this thread anyway!) since it's easy to overlook.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011, 17:53

I hate so much shift+select since 100% of the time happens accidentally in my case.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011, 18:12

How do you accidentally hold shift?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011, 19:11

While moving actors quickly.
ImageImage

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011, 17:16

UBerserker wrote:I hate so much shift+select since 100% of the time happens accidentally in my case.

It's no where near as annoying as when trying to vertex edit terrain, and the damn red cross moves but not the vertex! If anyone has a tip for that, I'd sure appreciate it! Only thing I've found sometimes is to select another brush and then come back to the one I'm trying to edit...but it's damn annoying.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011, 17:58

Doublez-Down wrote:It's no where near as annoying as when trying to vertex edit terrain, and the damn red cross moves but not the vertex! If anyone has a tip for that, I'd sure appreciate it! Only thing I've found sometimes is to select another brush and then come back to the one I'm trying to edit...but it's damn annoying.

This happens when your brush builder (the red brush) is still selected. I only figured that out just recently. Deselect it and you'll be able to move the verts normally again.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011, 19:45

Waffnuffly wrote:
Doublez-Down wrote:It's no where near as annoying as when trying to vertex edit terrain, and the damn red cross moves but not the vertex! If anyone has a tip for that, I'd sure appreciate it! Only thing I've found sometimes is to select another brush and then come back to the one I'm trying to edit...but it's damn annoying.

This happens when your brush builder (the red brush) is still selected. I only figured that out just recently. Deselect it and you'll be able to move the verts normally again.

I'll give it a shot, but it still happens a lot even when I've either moved the builder brush to the side or hid (ctrl b) it, so I'm not sure how it would be still selected.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Post Posted: 05 May 2012, 07:21

I'm a late entrant but...

* Holding SHIFT and then clicking on the rotation buttons in the surface properties / texture alignment menu allows you to reverse rotation like -90 instead of 90. Same goes for the panning tools.
* Hold A and click on a surface to add the actor selected in the Actor Browser onto where the pointer is.
* Hold L and click on a surface to add a new light actor onto where the pointer is.
* Double-click or press F4 on an actor to open its actor properties.
* Press F5 to open texture/surface alignment properties window.

I'll also be posting a tutorial on texture and brush alignment shortly - it contains pretty much my greatest UEd secrets.
Last edited by GTD-Carthage on 25 Aug 2012, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

Previous Next