Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

UnrealEd ProTips Thread

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: UnrealEd ProTips Thread

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011, 09:48

There is a shortcut for adding lights:
hold P on the keyboard and click in the viewport (I click in 3D viewport, dunno if it works for 2D ones too).
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

diamond

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011, 10:01

And, this is a COMPULSORY READING FOR EVERY MAPPER:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:UnrealEd_2_Console

Amongst all of them, there is one particularly useful:
MODE TEXTURELOCK=[1,0]
turns texture lock on or off (1 = On, 0 = Off) – If texture lock is on then textures will not be reset on brushes that are vetex manipulated

That command eliminates comments ending with '...but that will reset texture alignment'.

UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar editor Dave

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011, 19:25

If not generally known:
While holding ctrl + alt and selecting brushes, you can press shift in order to select another bunch of brushes.
In 2D shape editor: Adding a new vertex ctrl + i (this especially important for UnrealED 1)

There are also some other ED limits but I can't tell numbers:
When there are too many movers within small space (or mover vertices in general) or if you approach the node limit (?), some movers disappear or flicker. I don't know when exactly this happens...

When a light enlightens too many surfaces, the map crashes (best possible solution => reduce the radius to 23 or lower).
When a surface is lit by too many lights, the map crashes (best possible solution => reduce the amount of lights or the radius to a minimum).
Both cases happened to me in different maps.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

diamond

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011, 20:19

AFAIK, light crashes occur only for dynamic lights, like non-rebuilt lights. They are not crashes, but editor hangs, when it displays nothing but movers' wires.
You can work with large-radii lights in wireframe mode and rebuild lighting before switching to lit mode.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011, 20:32

True.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011, 04:21

Oh boy, the console commands page is useful as hell and ESPECIALLY that texture lock command. God damn, why isn't that on by default?

Gonna reorganize some of the first post tomorrow and add a section for Further Reading with links to stuff instead of having just a handful of links in the main post.

User avatar editor Dave

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011, 09:16

diamond wrote:AFAIK, light crashes occur only for dynamic lights, like non-rebuilt lights. They are not crashes, but editor hangs, when it displays nothing but movers' wires.
You can work with large-radii lights in wireframe mode and rebuild lighting before switching to lit mode.

Qtit wrote:True.

False.
UED 1 crashes, and freezing in UED 2 is like crashing.
It happened to me a while ago (First case in an unreleased map, second case in CTF-Dargrok). I did rebuild the lights and I couldn't switch to another mode than the Wireframe one. I suppose, one must really exaggerate the amount of details or lights to generate such a (near-)crash :P
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011, 15:19

This crash or hang happened to me only with dynamic or 'fresh' lights. I didn't ever had that problem when I rebuilt the lighting. So for me it's still true.

diamond

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011, 17:08

does game hang at the same places on the map?

try to reduce zone count at that place.

i had had that kind of problems when too many zones were in the view. Game froze with not all polygons being rendered. Removing unnecessary zones helped.

User avatar editor Dave

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011, 17:50

It has already been fixed before the release of CTF-Dargrok, or respectively, the other map won't be released ;)

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011, 08:38

Anyway, I've got an odd question. Is there a limit in Unreal / Unreal 227 for Warp Zones?

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011, 08:57

Yes, the maximal ZoneCount of 62 or 63. :wink:

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011, 18:06

Might want to add a tess cube terrain tutorial to the links on the first post, although a tutorial about things to do and not do when creating tess cube terrain would also be helpful.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011, 18:54

If you know of any tutorials, post them. I'll link stuff. But I don't have time at the moment to write full tutorials :o

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011, 22:26

Will do, I'll just have to translate it...more to follow
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

Previous Next