ividyon will never get this done, will he.

UnrealEd ProTips Thread

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: UnrealEd ProTips Thread

Post Posted: 06 May 2012, 09:08

GTD-Carthage wrote:I'll also be posting a tutorial on texture and brush alignment shortly - it contains pretty much my greatest UEd secrets.

Judging by your maps these secrets are highly valuable :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013, 21:21

If you select an actor and choose Make Current at the bottom of the right-click context menu, that actor class becomes the "Add <whatever> Here" actor. How... how am I just now figuring this out

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014, 03:57

Apparently UEd2 permits for basic arithmetic functions instead of manually calculating sizes in the brushbuilder.

Entering values with an equal sign in front (Example: =2048*8+1024) will place the result of the function as new value.
I've been missing this feature from UnrealEd 1 (where the = wasn't needed), and I never knew UEd2 had it all along! Awesome.

Source
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014, 21:35

Heh.. funny when people discover functions you've known for years and never bothered to mention because you thought it was common knowledge :o

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014, 00:20

ividyon wrote:Apparently UEd2 permits for basic arithmetic functions instead of manually calculating sizes in the brushbuilder.

Entering values with an equal sign in front (Example: =2048*8+1024) will place the result of the function as new value.
I've been missing this feature from UnrealEd 1 (where the = wasn't needed), and I never knew UEd2 had it all along! Awesome.

Source

Whhaaaaa??
This changes mapping forever.

Except for those who already knew about this.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015, 18:41

Want to make an elevator with doors that automatically open when the elevator is at a certain position without a ton of bullshit? Easy! Attach a knife to the elevator, then add triggers with Trigger Type set to ClassProximity, and specify Knife as the class. Then add these triggers to different positions where doors should open. Set the doors to TriggerControl and boom, you have doors that open when your elevator stops somewhere. Adjust collision on the knives and triggers for enhanced precision.

You can do similar things with this method, like attaching a knife to a train for each set of the wheels, then add triggers to parts of the tracks where there should be bumps. Have the bump hit triggers trip a special event to play a sound, and now you can hear when your train is banging against shit on the rails. Add a very low magnitude earthquake for added effect if you are feelin' saucy.

Invisible collision hulls being a pain in the ass with BSP holes? Don't use cubes. Use a square shape from the 2d shape editor extruded to a point, forming a pyramid. Why? It's fewer nodes (less ways to fuck up and fewer cuts), there's only one square face (triangles are virtually impossible to break by vertex editing), and it makes the borders of the brush come to points instead of sides. You can fit these into very tight spaces and only have five vertices to edit instead of eight, which is way easier to do by hand. You can flatten the thing down to 1 unit wide by compressing the point, and it's as good as a 1-unit-wide cube without the drama. Don't forget to merge the polys on the flat side, though!

Also: make them semisolid if you need them to penetrate geometry but don't want to see holes in the world. I.e. if you're trying to cover areas where ordinarily you'd have to make a lot of smaller ICHs in order to fill gaps, like X-beams supporting a masked grate texture. Make one big one, cover all the gaps, and make it semisolid. When you rebuild, you won't see the brush penetrating the solid geo like you would with a solid ICH.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018, 13:23

For people under Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 whose UnrealEd crashes on start-up, here's a list of possible remedies:

• Right-click the UnrealEd.exe file, go to Properties, there to the "Compatibility" tab, and toggle on "Run as administrator" and set the Compatibility mode to Windows 98.
  • Press Windows key + R, type in "sysdm.cpl" to open the System Properties window. There, go to "Advanced" -> "Performance" -> "Settings...", in the following window go to "Data Execution Prevention", and add your UnrealEd.exe file to the list of exceptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_WVptzH7Jo
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous